VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, it's me again.
    Yesterday I played a dvd in my new (cheap) dvd player.
    The movie plays normally and has perfect image and sound quality but it can't seem to
    display the complete (Dutch) subtitles. Someone in the movie says something and only the first part of the sentence is shown.

I tried with another dvd and it is the same.

The feature "Setup" of the dvd player does not seem to have an option for this. Is there anything on my remote control that handles the subtitling ? I find many different buttons but not all of them trigger any reaction.

There is one button "subtitle", but when I push this one the only thing that changes is that the name
    of the person in the movie, when he says something, can be shown as well.

I don't have a manual of the dvd player. It was not included.

Maybe you will say, buy yourself a more expensive dvd player.
    But expensive devices are not always better ! cfr. our JVC dvd/video recorder/player that costed 860 USD
    and which is crap !!

Thanks for your ideas on the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are these DVDs 352x480/576 by chance?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They're not dvd's that I recorded myself.
    Both dvd's initially were distributed commercially.

Were exactly on the dvd or the dvd-case can I find this information you ask for ?
    Last edited by Antares; 8th May 2011 at 09:44. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    There is one button "subtitle", but when I push this one the only thing that changes is that the name
    of the person in the movie, when he says something, can be shown as well.
    This is not common for regular dvd subtitles. It sounds like a dvd specially made for people with hearing problems. Do you have the same problem (truncated subtitles) with a more regular dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just had one myself, a retail DVD where the subs were partly off the screen to the right because it was 352x480. You'd think someone would at least check before sending the DVD out to the world.

Open a VOB in GSpot or MediaInfo and find out the resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to read the dvd in Mediainfo but the audio TS was empty.
    I then played it on my laptop and I saw that the subtitles , in case of two lines, the upper one was above the black bottom and the lower text came in the black bottom.
    Now I was sure that was the problem on my tv, that I had to be able to arrange this using both remote controls of the tv and the dvd player.
    So I did : I changed the screen (up and down option) using my TV remote control and the button Subtitle on the dvd player remote control (pushed twice to get Dutch subtitles).
    Now it is O.K. !
    Sorry to have bothered you all !
    Thanks for trying to help me.
    Bye bye - see ya !
    Quote Quote