VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Iím new to video processing. Iím a retired engineer with just a little understanding of video, and living in a retirement community.

Iím trying to make a 30 minute tutorial showing how to use a trip/event registration program. The registration program is available to residents on their computer from a website maintained by the retirement community.

The tutorial will be shown on an in-house TV channel. The format required for the in-house channel is MPEG-2. The MPEG-2 goes to the in-house AV group and is inserted into the Comcast feed to the community and is 4x3 standard definition.

Test videos have various problems when played back over in-house TV channel. Sometimes they are very poor resolution, sometimes the captured screen edges arenít visible, sometimes the video skips, etc.

Iím not sure where to go from here. The AV group isnít able to provide help concerning the capture or MPEG-2 creation.

Iím using Camtasia for the capture on my 1280 x 1024 monitor.

Iíve looked at various Camtasia tutorials and searched this forum, but I canít get a clear perspective of the correct settings to use at various stages, plus I canít seem to generate an MPEG-2 output directly from Camtasia.

Iíve posted in the Camtasia forum at TechSmith, but have not received any replies.

Iím currently capturing and then creating an avi file using the Microsoft Video 1 codec in Camtasia. Iím using the Microsoft codec because itís the only way I have found to get the avi into Windows Movie Maker and then into Windows DVD Maker. I then generate an MPEG-2 (at least I think itís an MPEG-2) by using Windows DVD Maker to burn to a DVD. However, the resulting video over the in-house channel is poor resolution and skips.

Can someone please provide some guidance as to the best capture and production configurations to use to produce an MPEG-2 video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The question, at this point, is how the does the original avi look? If it looks/sounds fine what are your output settings in windows movie maker? What are you doing in windows movie maker? Editing? Can you just import your avi directly into windows dvd maker?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the response. I was using WMM to get to WDVD Maker. The editing was done in Camtasia. I see now that I can go directly from the avi generated by Camtasia to DVD Maker. I'll try that to see if it makes a difference.

Am I correct that the codec for the avi should be the Windows Video 1 codec, as opposed to the special Camtasia codecs, for it to work in the Windows DVD Maker?

Am I correct that the output from DVD Maker is MPEG-2?

I'm not clear of the capture size in Camtasia, vs the editing size in Camtasia, vs the final MPEG-2 size. Is the MPEG-2 format 640x480, the NTSC format, or 720x480 which seems to be a DVD format but isn't 4:3?

For best quality, should the capture size be the same as the output size, or the same aspect ratio but as large as possible?

There weren't any settings in WMM to adjust as far as I could see. I had been just bring in the avi, then publishing to get to DVD Maker. I'll try going directly to DVD Maker next.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A standard dvd video has a frame size of 720x480. Any time anybody mentions codecs issues can occur, but that shouldn't be the immediate focus. I used microsoft video 1 codec using camstudio and it turned out alright. It might be worth testing a short video with camtasias codecs to see if they'll work for you. Meanwhile, If the avi you created using camtasia played well before you converted it I would then suspect the problem lies with windows movie maker. In my case I use programs I have such as Nero Vision, or Sony Movie Studio if I need to edit/convert things. Windows DVD maker simply converts the file(s) to a compliant format & structure then burns to dvd. No windows movie maker settings? I suspect then you did publish to --> dvd? The best overall option is not to use a codec, unless you lack hard drive space. The glitching issues I have encountered have been caused by video converters themselves.
    Last edited by lowellriggsiam; 1st May 2011 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK, I'll start using 720x480 as the editing format in Camtasia. I don't see a predefined capture format that matches that aspect ratio. So I'll try a full screen capture and also a 720 x 480 capture. Since I want to capture the full screen display in the video I'll have to change the display window of the material I want to capture to 720x 480. Seems like that will reduce the resolution, but I'll try it anyway.

You're correct. I didn't do anything in WMM except go directly to Publish. I'll try going directly to DVD Maker.

I found that there are some recommendations for a program called Any Video Converter. Would that be better than DVD Maker to convert from avi to MPEG-2?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You said you "edited" the video using camtasia and also converted it from there. Did you actually edit the film and convert it? That is the most likely place for the problem to occur. As far as Any Video Converter goes, you'd have to test it. I must say I have never had quality issues with the dvds made by Windows DVD Maker and suspect that it is not responsible. We have eliminated windows movie maker as it was actually never used. No need to change your full screen capture as the video would be scaled down in the conversion process to dvd anyway.
    Last edited by lowellriggsiam; 1st May 2011 at 19:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    see if you can capture to DVavi, it's 720x480 and a much better codec to edit in than ms codec1 which wasn't good even when it came out way back for windows 3.1
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, I captured the video with Camtasia and edited it in Camtasia. I've made some 30Ė60 second short captures just to test various outputs. Those I didn't edit at all. Just saved the camrec, and brought it into Studio. Then I used the Custom Product Settings in the Studio Production Wizard to generate an avi output.

Would it be better to skip the Custom Production Settings and just go to DVD-Ready, which I think also creates an avi?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a bit confused by the "dvd ready" as an avi is not a dvd compliant video. You might try editing the undedited video in windows movie maker and setting the output to dvd-quality. I am making suggestions based on what you said you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The codecs available in the capture process are: Microsoft Video 1, Intel IYUV codec, Cinepak Codec by Radius, CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4, TechSmith Screen CApture Codec Codec, and Full Frames (uncompressed). I don't see a DVavi codec.

FYI. I'm capturing at 30 frames per second.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uncompressed is the best option, assuming you have the hard drive space.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Lowellriggsiam, I'm also confused by the DVD-Ready option. In the Camtasia Production Wizard there are several choices: Blog, CD, DVD-ready, HD, iPad, iPhone, Web, and Custom Production Settings. When I select DVD-ready the window shows that it's an avi file and that it creates a video ready for importing into a DVD authoring application. Could it be a DVavi?

Under Custom Production Settings there are numerous output choices such as MP4/FLV/Flash, Mov, WMV, avi, and others. But nothing other than the avi seems promising.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video from my old video camera imported to my PC as dv-avi and the video files were 720x480. The frame rate of a standard dvd is 29.97. Your thinking sounds good.
    Quote Quote  
  14. lowellriggsiam and aedipuss: thanks for your comments. I have several new configurations to try. I'll summarize the results as I'm able to do the testing.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am glad we could be of service. Off to bed it's like 3am to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Tonyeng

Whenever I need to create a video tutorial, I use a virtual machine and CAMTASIA.

With the virtual machine is easier to record a resolution 1024x768x30fps

To edit, I use Power Director 9 (PAID, but very intuitive and easy to use).

Virtualbox is a wonderful program of virtual machines(FREE).

If you want help in configuring CAMTASIA is so speak

Claudio
    Quote Quote