I have an *OLD* multi-track audio/data cdrom (pressed, not CDR) disc that is no longer being read properly due to age... (pressed in 1992)
I've tried three different cd drives, there are no scratches and no fingerprints on it.. the dyes look ok as well.
I was thinking about running it through one of those cd cleaners with some of the CD cleaning alcohol, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make things worse due to its age.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
If the the non-label side is clean, it's more likely the reflective layer inside the CD has started to rot.
Unfortunately, nothing you can do if it's that.
Good luckIt Started In Texas
Keep in mind that many of those old Plextor drives are all SCSI, so you will need a controller. I used to have pretty good success using my SCSI Plextor drives (PX-32TSi, PX-40TSUWi, PX-R820T, and PX-W4220T. All excellent drives whose quality remains unmatched to this day) with a program called BlindRead. The tools might have changed since then though.
ICBM target coordinates:
26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
Pretty much general sector read errors:
[86848.060791] Info fld=0x0
[86848.060792] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
[86848.060798] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
[86848.060802] end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 0
[86848.060806] Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 0
[86848.850542] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[86848.850546] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[86848.850549] Info fld=0x0
[86848.850550] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
[86848.850555] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
[86848.850560] end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 0
[86848.850564] Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 0
[86849.644254] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[86849.644258] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[86849.644261] Info fld=0x0
[86849.644263] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
[86849.644268] sr 7:0:0:0: [sr1] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
[86849.644273] end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 0
[86849.644277] Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 0
I've tried multiple CD drives in multiple systems, all same result.
The CD is mixed mode (track 1 is audio, 2 is data, 3-43 are audio, 44 is data, etc) so EAC won't work.
The drive I ended up with is a Plextor PX-708A... too bad it gives me the same errors (although the Plextor seems more tolerant and will eventually read some of the CD after struggling for about a minute.) . Nicely built drive though!
Of course EAC won't work.....and whoever suggested using EAC is a complete numbnut who can't read and is wasting your time. CDs that contain both audio and data cannot be treated the same as a regular audio CD. You've (somewhat) clearly stated twice that this was a mixed CD we are dealing with here and yet people still feel the need to "knee jerk" their favorite software.
Now.....exactly what is this CD you have. Stop being so damn vague if you really want help.
That's a little STRONG, hech54...
IIWY, I'd try ISOBuster using multiple computers & multiple drives, and make use of the "Managed Image" feature where it Rips from each drive using the best features from that drive to fill in the Rip gaps. ISOBuster can do a track-by-track extraction, with Mixed mode discs, Multi-session discs, unfinalized, etc. Or try the RAW SECTOR region extraction (where you number the start & end sectors and ignore track boundaries & compositions.
I tell you though, a CD that has 1.Audio,2.Data,3.Audio,4.Data, etc is a VERY non-standard disc, and would be considered POORLY mastered. You'd always have trouble with a disc of that type, even if it were new & pristine.
BTW, sometimes on damaged discs, it can take a L-O-N-G time to extract....Like DAYS!!!
Let it work its magic.
Before condeming the disc, try cleaning it. On several occasions I've seen CDs and DVDs which either refused to play or had many errors, they LOOKED perfect. However, there was an invisible film of something, I guess some kind of algae on the recorded side, breathng on it showed a pattern in the condensation, it probably originated in the washing process at the manufacturers plant. Try washing it with a tiny drop of liquid detergent (dish washing liquid) then thoroughly rinse it in clean water. Obviously don't use anything abrasive! It has worked in almost every case I've seen and the discs have come from many sources and manufacturers. After cleaning they have worked flawlessly again.
It may not work but for a few minutes effort and no cost it is worth a try.