VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I run genuine WinXP sp3, and AVG-free antivirus. I was content for some years, with regular updates for my OS coming through Windows Update.

Suddenly, in a stroke of madness, I downloaded Microsoft's Security Essentials (their own AntiVirus program "only for genuine Windows users"), uninstalled good old AVG, and installed Security Essentials. There was no problem with the installation or anything else.

On my next boot, I found that some of my other programs were not functioning.

I did a system restore, and those programs functioned, but as I shut down, Windows installed a number of updates before the computer turned itself off. On my next boot, my problem came back.

I believe that Microsoft Update has been installed automatically by Microsoft's Security Essentials. My Start menu>All programs, however, shows Windows Update listed.

Now, how do I disable Microsoft Update and keep only the old Windows Update?

Thanks, and regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in the control panel set windows update to manual. then when you want ot check for updates you'll have to do it yourself, and when the widows update site comes up click the custom option and only choose what updates you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To check if Microsoft Update has been installed click on Windows Update and see if you get redirected to the Microsoft Update site. If so, click on Change Settings on the Microsoft Update page and check the box to disable Microsoft update.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, aedipuss.

Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    To check if Microsoft Update has been installed click on Windows Update and see if you get redirected to the Microsoft Update site. If so, click on Change Settings on the Microsoft Update page and check the box to disable Microsoft update.
    Indeed I am redirected to the Microsoft Update site. There's a "Change Settings" option on the left panel. When I click that, I reach this page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI change settings.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	6673

As you can see, there is no box to check disable Microsoft Update...

But also as you can see, the site wants to run the add-on "Microsoft Update" !! It looks as if this is an attempt to make it appear as if they have done it with my approval!

My original question remains: How do I disable Microsoft Update and keep only the Windows Update ?

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page? On mine it is the last option. Or perhaps you need to let the add-on run.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought Microsoft Security Essentials was a trojan.

You have to run Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking to get rid of it.

Here is a link to uninstall the real Microsoft Security Essentials...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2435760
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials ... when I discovered Microsoft has it ... I went for it. I have been using Norton Internet Security 2007 but mostly because of the ability to use the feature for blocking certain programs from connecting to the Internet. But now I use Zone Alarm for that feature.

In WIN XP ... there is a lot of times when it has downloaded updates that will be installed when I click the reboot button. I only have Windows and Microsoft Update set to notify me if any updates are available but WIN XP still downloads them.

I have a feeling that regardless of what option you choose ... Windows is still going to download ... some ... updates whether you wanted that to happen or not.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you disable automatic updates in security center.

Follow this link...

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

...and see if it tells you that you need to install the software, if so then click the install button. It will install Windows Update. If you want to get updates to all your Microsoft software then you will want to have Microsoft Update. That is why it was installed with Microsoft Security Essentials. You can't update the program without it.

I thought Microsoft got rid of Windows Update years ago and replaced it with Microsoft Update. I guess not.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am convinced that an irrepairable damage has been done to my computer when I agreed to the installation of MS Security Essentials. The reading material provided in the posts by the kind persons above tells me uninstallation of MS-SE may be a very involved, technical and not entirely successful procedure. It figures. I agreed to Microsoft snooping inside my machine. Why should they pass up the opportunity to do so?

Perhaps only a format may help now.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to go far enough back and restore windows so the damage is undone and then turn off automatic updates.

You can use this site to manually install service packs and security updates...

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    You should be able to go far enough back and restore windows so the damage is undone and then turn off automatic updates.

I have been aware of that site for a long time, and am both pleased and somewhat amazed that MS never eviscerated it, the way they did with some other ones. In any case, I still have Win Update (only), set to Custom and to Notify Only, and have experienced no problems that I know of with this. On another computer -- a laptop -- I did have Internet Explorer 8 installed contrary to my wishes, though I'm not sure whether that could have been due to momentary inattention on my part. I don't use IE and despise it, have thought of downgrading it back to v. 7, but this may involve more techno-fiddling than I care to mess with. Was not previously familiar with a separate MS Update. Glad I passed on Security Essentials.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

I have been aware of that site for a long time, and am both pleased and somewhat amazed that MS never eviscerated it, the way they did with some other ones. In any case, I still have Win Update (only), set to Custom and to Notify Only, and have experienced no problems that I know of with this. On another computer -- a laptop -- I did have Internet Explorer 8 installed contrary to my wishes, though I'm not sure whether that could have been due to momentary inattention on my part. I don't use IE and despise it, have thought of downgrading it back to v. 7, but this may involve more techno-fiddling than I care to mess with. Was not previously familiar with a separate MS Update. Glad I passed on Security Essentials.
    I used to get Windows Updates from a site that only worked for Firefox but Microsoft had them shut down. Don't remember what it was called.

I did find this download that allows you to run multiple versions of IE on the same computer. From version 1.0 to version 8.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/network/browsers/ie_collection.cfm

There is also a download to run multiple versions of Firefox.

I was hoping to find a portable version of IE9 to see if I could get it to run on XP. It did seem to run a lot faster on W7. I did some tricks that I found on Google for speeding up IE 6 and I've had speeds as high as 23 Mbps. Without the fixes, I was only getting 8-10 Mbps.

I mostly use FF4 though since I have it set up to look and act exactly like IE6.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

Yes, worth trying.

1. I'll restore my computer to a date before this carnage happened.
    2. As it boots after the restore, I'll turn Automatic Updates off. I continue my work.
    3. I shut down my machine. WILL IT NOW INSTALL THE UPDATES WHICH ARE ALREADY DOWNLOADED AND KEPT SOMEWHERE because restoration does not delete downloads ?

I ask, because once I did this restore, but didn't turn AU off, and worked offline. The machine installed 25 updates while shutting down, following which the problems returned.

Thanks and regards.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are four settings.

Automatic
    Download updates but don't install them
    Notify me but don't download or install
    Turn off automatic updates.

I assume if you choose anything but automatic that it will not install them since that is what the title says. Only automatic should download and install.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I manually install security updates, but that's about it.
    IE8 is better than previous versions. Not that I use IE, but would rather 8 be the one installed.
    The Malicious Software tool is quite useful, too.
    And then all the ASP.NET updates are very helpful for various software.

Don't be anti-updates. I was that way for years, and it was a mistake.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I accidentally upgrade to IE9. After a few days, I reverted back to IE8. Stupid microsoft didn't make uninstalling IE any easier.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I manually install security updates, but that's about it.
    IE8 is better than previous versions. Not that I use IE, but would rather 8 be the one installed.
    The Malicious Software tool is quite useful, too.
    And then all the ASP.NET updates are very helpful for various software.

Don't be anti-updates. I was that way for years, and it was a mistake.
    Is there anywhere you go to get good info on which updates or hotfixes should get the thumbs up, and which you might want to give a miss ? I'm not sure the specific MS KB page is to be trusted, and often wonder if they might be trying to slip some new DRM or WGA-type crap past us (wouldn't be the first time for that !), or something that might put the kibosh on some older program we've come to rely on. That might be more of a concern for W7 users . . . ? I just looked over a recent KB for XP, which deals with "compatibility issues." Since I don't use any of those MS apps that were mentioned in the KB article, I decided to pass. And I've passed on a few other things, like the updated API library. If it ain't broke . . . .

When you referred to ASP.NET updates, are those the Framework updates ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

Tell you what I have done:

1. I have restored my system to a date before installation of MS Security Essentials
    2. Turned off Automatic Updates.
    3. Went to Microsoft Automatic Update site to see what updates I'd need.
    4. The page wanted to install an ActiveX control ('Microsoft Update') to tell me what updates I'll need. I agreed to that.
    5. In the resulting page, there was the info that Microsoft Updates was successfully installed. At the bottom of the page, was the choice whether to stay with it, or use only Windows Update. I took the second option.
    6. A page came which said that I have successfully uninstalled Microsoft Update, and have Windows Update in place.
    7. Then the updates (critical and non-critical) my OS (genuine Windows XP) would need were listed. I installed them
    8. Peace of mind returned (till the next crisis).

Thanks to all of you who have joined in on the discussion. You have my regards.
    Quote Quote