VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings:

I follow several online tutorial (youtube, tuxtweaks.com/2011/01/adding-video-captions-with-avidemux/) showing how to add merge srt to an avi file using AVIDEMUX to no avail. I am stuck when choosing the font file. I browse to \windows\fonts\, select the ttf font, click open and nothing happen. I type in the path c:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf, select the encoding as UTF-8 and receive a message "can not identify subtitle format". I try different encoding and still no luck. I use VLC to play the AVI and open the srt file with no problem. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AVIDEMUX_SRT1.jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	6649  

Quote Quote  
  2. your screenshot shows you picked the wrong file. It should be .srt not .avi in the 1st box
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    your screenshot shows you picked the wrong file. It should be .srt not .avi in the 1st box
    Yep, that prbably would help

Tsk Tsk Tsk....

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVIDEMUX_SRT1.jpg
Views:	9768
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6650
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you all for pointing out what I was missing. I don't know what was I thinking.

Another thing that also throw me off is the Fonts field, when I browse to the Window/fonts folder, select the TTF font type and click Open, nothing is happening. The field remain blank. I have to manually type in the entire path. Is this normal?

By the way, there are a bunch of format (MPEG-4 AVC, ASP XVID, ASP AVCODEC etc) under Video, Copy drop down arrow, which one should be used in this case? Both tutorials doesn't mention this selection part.
    Quote Quote  
  5. nice, nice, nice...

version 2.5.4, 20 years after windows3.0 and "browse" function for fonts is still not working so u have to type in the path +.+

and under it? "Encoding"?? Arabic? Hebrew? ChineseGB2312?

even after trying almost every setting that can be choosen, the preview still doesnt show any subtitles.

it seems u have to be a NASAscientist to get this BS running
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey everybody. Just joined/registered in order to comment. Have been delighted with the ability to burn NEON YELLOW (and easily readable regardless of background color) subs onto my predominantly-foreign films with this excellent program but, starting today, i too have found it impossible burning onto just this one particular avi with corresponding srt file (i have also the idx/sub subtitles which have to be initially rendered TO srt or A.S.S./SSA format FROM idx/sub, etc, which is time consuming and sometimes produces terrible 'klunky' results/bad translation from graphic-based to text based). This is after being told to 'rebuild the VBR time map' right at loading the AVI and then, immediately after that, 'index not up to date, please rebuild'. Not certain whether this has triggered any sync problems (?) or what. I have not deviated one bit from my normal operating procedure in the past that has produced flawless results. Oh well. For this particular movie will have to just live with the cr*ppy white subs i guess. Below please see, for me anyway, the settings that have produced excellent results for me.

On the initial screen after loading avi - and prior to going into 'filter' for 'subtitler' option - be absolutely certain to select under video the 'mpeg-4 asp (xvid)' option. The tutorial i learned from stated this is a default industry standard and produces the best results (?) Whether this is true i'm not certain but don't want to experiment with this setting as have had perfect results thus far. (leave the audio on default 'copy'). Please see below for my 'subtitler' screenshot. After this just 'save as' and let 'er rip. (sorry for the Old Testament rambling length of this but hopefully it will help the Lost Souls of which i counted myself up until recently!)

Name:	subtitler.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	7311
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded the latest avidemux 2.6.8 v2 and it isn't giving me the option for the subtitler and I cant find an older version of it, I've enclosed a screen shot of what I get, I move it to the active filters, select the preview, It will show the subtitles in the avi but it won't let me save it. Anyone know how to save it in the latest version? Thanks!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	available filters.bmp
Views:	524
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	28126  

Name:	active filters.BMP
Views:	639
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	28127  

Quote Quote  
  8. What is the latest version that has the more robust config for subs?

For some reason when I trans code AVIs using 2.5 or earlier the audio and video doesn't sync up, but with 2.6 for higher it does.
    That being said, is there anyway to add back the older, more robust, config to the newer version?

Also the same thing is with the XVID config, the older version was more robust and actually tagged it as XVID, where now it tags it as DIVX. So I have to go in an manually change the CCFour from DIVX to XVID to get them to play on my device.

Any help would be appreciated, either with getting the older features back to the new version, or fixing the sync error in the older version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I'm using Avidemux 2.5.6 (win via CrossOver) as I was running into heavy difficulties with newer versions on MacOS-X-el.capitan.
    The "subtitler" filter does in no way accept German umlauts (äöüß...) BUT ...
    here's a list how to get these anyway using either Latin-1 or -2 encoding:

Press shift-option with THESE letters (on a German keyboard) to print ...

e => ä
    k => ö
    r => ü

f => Ä (w/o shift)
    : => Ö
    b => Ü

l => ß

Hope this will help s.o. out there s.time ...
    Quote Quote