VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when running NCIS series before hardcoding subtitle the arabic subtitle appears ok and readable, but after hardcoding it with aviaddxsubs the subtitle shows but appears as question mark not readable.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance

CPU e7400, ram 4GB, HDD 160GB, windows 7

Gina
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's my understanding that AviAddXSubs only works with Ansi .srt. If the file is UTF-8 or Unicode it usually spits out an error message. You may have to use another subtitle converter that can output graphical format from Unicode text. If you give more specifics about the source subtitle format, video format, and player, hw or sw player and which one etc., then forum readers may be able to offer more suggestions.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The subtitle file has SRT extension( Dowoloaded from Divxstation.com ) and the movie file is AVI when playing the movie before hardcoding the subtitle with ( K Lite mega codec or VLC ) text appears ok, after hardcoding the subtitle the letters appear as question marks when playing the movie in both above programs and even when trying to play the file on my Philips DVD R3575H.

SRT file attached. Dont know how to check if the file is UTF-8 or ANSI

Please advice
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you open the file in notepad and do a Save As, it indicates it is Unicode. AviAddXSubs only likes Ansi.
    You might try AviSub instead. I haven't used it in awhile. I don't remember if it objects to Unicode but it's worth a try. You may have to reduce the font size or manually wrap long lines if they don't fit. It doesn't auto-wrap like AviAddXSubs does. But it produces good output if you fiddle with it.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try SubTitleCreator.
    'Formatting' > 'Select Character Encoding' > '1256 Arabic'
    'File' > 'Open Subtitle' (the .srt file')
    Then 'File' > 'Save Vob Sub as..' to save VOB/IDX files.
    Burn those files with the AVI and select with the remote.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried both AVISUB and SUBTITLECREATOR but not working, not acceptintg the SRT file because as you said its Unicode not ANSI,
    After hardcoding with Subtitle Creator arabic letters appear as ?

With AviSub getting unreadable characters.

Thanks for your help, the problem is that i cant find other websites providing subtittles for NCIS to try another file.

Best Regards

thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Accepts it on my setup -I don't read Arabic, but it looks the same as the .srt file..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	6627
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Sambat

That is right it arabic. I asume that u used the same srt file i attached. Could you kindly descride the steps you followed to get the hardcoded file with srt to appear right. Also what setting did you have on Subtitle Creator.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's in post #5 - and the subs aren't hard coded;they are selected with the remote (if they are played on a standalone player).
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just created an account (registration has a stupid and childish random question btw) to help anyone came across the same issue
    you CAN use aviaddxsubs to create Arabic or Persian idx/sub subtitles here's the only way:
    you need to have your subtitle in ANSI format and SCRAMBLED like this ليس امنيتي مون جستجوي اوليه شون رو
    if you "Save As" your srt text as ANSI it will turn into Question Marks, you need to have your srt file originally as ANSI and scrambled form mentioned above
    after that just change the Character Set to Arabic and Language Code to Arabic or Persian in Configuration 1 tab
    this way aviaddxsubs will automatically fix the scrambled words and export the desired subtitle
    Quote Quote