FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Crap... I hit the wrong button...

http://www.blip.tv/file/5096280
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that's the stuff I like to see.

What's that apparition by the sun? http://youtu.be/jq9-EUiLEuQ?hd=1

I hate show offs, so I'm going to have to make up a doozie.
    Last edited by budwzr; 2nd May 2011 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AHAHAHAHA that was a good one! hey i dont know much about it but i'd still like to hear how you made this video (the non exploding version). was it easy to do? i recall you said it only took a few minutes to make one of the earlier videos before this last one. i'd also like to make another small request. when its being revealed the lower hemosphere of the replaced planet gets cut out of the frame. is that fixable? it looks like it wouldnt be noticeable that its "sticking out" of the frame if you add the missing part.
    Last edited by sprintt; 3rd May 2011 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sprintt View Post
    hey i dont know much about it but i'd still like to hear how you made this video (the non exploding version). was it easy to do?
    This is very basic 101 stuff for AE. All it involves is masks, layeers, keyframes, and using some lighting effects.

If you know how to use photoshop, it's very similar. (AE is like photoshop for video)

i recall you said it only took a few minutes to make one of the earlier videos before this last one.
    No, I said it only takes a minute to swap out the flare layer. Everything was already set up, so if you just wanted to change flare styles all it takes is flipping a switch. eg. if you wanted a blue lens flare instead, or maybe circular flashy ring lens flare etc....

i'd also like to make another small request. when its being revealed the lower hemosphere of the replaced planet gets cut out of the frame. is that fixable? it looks like it wouldnt be noticeable that its "sticking out" of the frame if you add the missing part.
    The easy way out is just to pull down the bottom letterbox a bit. The problem is other parts of the source video are hardcoded with letterboxing, so you can't just remove them (both top and bottom). It kinda works in this case, because the bottom of the frame goes to darkness (black) in the 2nd half.

Alternatively, you could "shrink" the planet, but this screws with some other stuff in the composition , and I don't feel like fixing those things or redoing it

The beginning learning curve is a bit steep for AE, but once you get going, this cut & paste stuff is quite easy
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    This is very basic 101 stuff for AE. All it involves is masks, layeers, keyframes, and using some lighting effects.

If you know how to use photoshop, it's very similar. (AE is like photoshop for video)
    Wow, how did you make the shatter? All the little pieces? That must be a lot of work to hand cut each piece and animate it like that.

And it looks so real. The planet must have had an ice crust to shatter that way, because the debris was like broken glass. Wait a minute! A glass planet?
    Last edited by budwzr; 3rd May 2011 at 20:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    how did you make the shatter? All the little pieces? That must be a lot of work to hand cut each piece and animate it like that.
    There are plugins for shattering stuff.

I did that one in a different program, but AE has a built in 3d shatter plugin with extruder and it will look similar

You're crazy dude. Doing stuff frame by frame or by hand is the last resort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hahaha, just ribbing you. We cool.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In AE included plugins for shatter are "cc shatter" and "pixle polly". I have issues with cc shatter crashing After Effects CS4 and CS5 when applied to a object created with cc shpere, except in CS4 when the object was precomposed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. hey guys, i hope all is well with you...i ran into some trouble with my motherboard (smoke was coming out of it) so it took me a while to come back as you can probably imagine.

aaanyway i just showed this video to my friend and he absolutely LOVED it!
    one last thing that i'd like to do is delete the subtitles from the video and replace them with a title that describes this replaced planet with the same font that kubrick used here: http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/gill-sans/light/
    i was wondering if its possible to cut and paste a few letters for the title?
    Quote Quote  
  10. damn no response from anyone....wow. ok so i have to buy this special 2001 font which is 30 dollars thats ok. can i get some help in deleting the existing subtitles? anybody?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about GillionLightDB as an alternative font? A Google search will bring up some relevant pages.

It looks like the film substituted the zero characters with upper case 'O's:
    http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/case/289253/

Here, the character spacing has been increased slightly and the word spacing has been increased significantly:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2001_spaceodyssey_font.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	6876
    top is orginal, bottom is modified GillionLightDB.

There's a bit too much spacing between some of the characters - if you're bothered you could adjust the kerning.
    Quote Quote  
  12. intracube, you said "alternative font" but the two fonts look exactly the same. how did you find GillionLightDB?
    im not sure how to do what you did here; the file that i downloaded from 3 different sites gives me a file with lower case font. anyhow it looks like you found a similar font for free and you were able to put it in the video so thats good news. if thats correct can you delete the subtitles in the video and put your own instead?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The basic technique for "deleting text" is to make a clean plate. This is easy in this case, because there are frames in the video without text

Look for a clean frame without text that looks exactly the same, eg. the frame before the text comes on, then you use that to overlay on top of the text .

This can be done in any editor e.g. vegas, premiere , or even image editors e.g. photoshop, gimp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sprintt View Post
    damn no response from anyone....wow. ok so i have to buy this special 2001 font which is 30 dollars thats ok. can i get some help in deleting the existing subtitles? anybody?
    You forgot the magic word.
    Quote Quote  
  15. oh yes of course. budwzr, pretty please with sugar on top, clean the fuckin' subtitles.
    LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZRUaDGW7WQ
    Last edited by sprintt; 21st May 2011 at 10:28.
    Quote Quote  
  16. i have to remind you that i have no experience with any of these programs unfortunately.
    i wanted to make an effort by making the subtitles but it looks like its going to be too difficult for me to do.

no disrespect with that last comment budweizer by the way. we cool. i hope. heh
    Last edited by sprintt; 21st May 2011 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Who's your daddy now, beotch? Say it like you mean it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi everyone i have a fairly simple request i would like to make here.....
    Quote Quote  
  19. [QUOTE=poisondeathray;2076218]
    hey i dont know much about it but i'd still like to hear how you made this video (the non exploding version). was it easy to do?

[quote]

indeed it took a few pages to figure out but it actually was a simple request. the video just needs the finishing touch now.
    Last edited by sprintt; 21st May 2011 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    intracube, you said "alternative font" but the two fonts look exactly the same. how did you find GillionLightDB?
    Non-commercial fonts sometimes use similar names to their commercial equivalents. I spotted GillionLightDB on an alphabetical font listing, and the sample looked very close to Gill Sans Light.

Different commercial fonts can also use similar names - Times Roman/Times New Roman, for example. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Roman#Variants
    there's also examples of free alternatives.

It's worth saying that free fonts don't always match the quality of their commercial equivalents. They might not properly support extended characters, for example àçéß™, and a typeface might not be available in many weights:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font#Weight

im not sure how to do what you did here; the file that i downloaded from 3 different sites gives me a file with lower case font.
    I don't follow... Uh, [Shift] key?

I forgot to mention, the "1" was replaced by a lower case "l": 2OOl: A SPACE ODYSSEY. But if you're replacing the text, it might not be relevant.
    Quote Quote  
  21. sprintt - describe exactly what you want done with the title

do you want this on the replacement planet or the original video ?

what do you want to replace "2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY" with ?

what about the text underneath "Metro-Goldywn Mayer etc..."
    Quote Quote  
  22. i want the new title to say 2011: THERE.COM RETURNS (because this game was closed and now making a comeback). replace the A stanley kubrick Production with an alan shore production (my screen name in this game) in upper case and leave the MGM untouched. one more thing while youre fixing this, i noticed that theres a slight delay with the sound when the replacement planet is first revealed at 0:26 the que and the reveal should come at the same time. if you want to put your name in it as well you could replace metro goldwyn mayer which are surnames with your last name my name and my friends name (ittner). i hope you have a catchy one if you do want to be in the video heh
    Quote Quote  
  23. I hope poisondeathray charges you for this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you want to put your name in it as well you could replace metro goldwyn mayer ...
    That's very generous of you.

That way if the fuzz raids your office, for bootlegging MGM, there's more busts to go around....good thinking!

P.S. Don't drop the soap.
    Quote Quote  
  25. one more thing while youre fixing this, i noticed that theres a slight delay with the sound when the replacement planet is first revealed at 0:26 the que and the reveal should come at the same time.

I'm not sure what you want to do with the sound, because the reveal is gradual at 0:26, not an abrupt reveal... so I'm don't know what the "same time" refers to...

You can fine tune and shift it however you want by millisecond accuracy with avidemux (easy to do).

Here is a +500ms shift, so it occurs ~0:27 now.

EDIT : whoops got the year wrong... fixed
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd May 2011 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  26. i looked at the program you said and after loading the file up i couldnt figure out how to fine tune the sound.
    i was wrong about the time of the delay in my last post. the que comes at 0:28, then the reveal starts a full second later. i say a full second because in a video like this it is critical for the ques and the images to show at the same time.
    the reveal is indeed gradual but the que should come in at the same time as the reveal much like in the original version at 0:27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XyS7uCtnq0
    Last edited by sprintt; 23rd May 2011 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  27. The timing is actually the same for the reveal in both the original and replacement.

But the original video starts with a bright rim for the planet, so I increased the starting brightness of the planet. Maybe it's too dark so it's less effective as a gradual reveal

i looked at the program you said and after loading the file up i couldnt figure out how to fine tune the sound.
    If you want to fiddle with shifting the audio in avidemux, video=> copy , audio=> copy, format => mp4 . Checkmark "shift" under the audio heading, and enter the value in ms. Ctrl+S to save, enter filename with extension e.g. "myvideo.mp4"
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  28. yyyo i didnt get a chance to come in here and say thank you. the video looks amazing and people love it! thanks everyone for helping out with the development of this idea and thanks to budwzr for providing us with good entertainment as well as a vivid description of life in prison and a very special thanks to you poisondeathray for making this happen!!
    Quote Quote