VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    I've got multiple computers plugged into a KVM switch for mouse, keyboard, and video (VGA). I want to get an HDMI monitor and plug in the one computer that has hdmi, but I want to still be able to switch between computers easily. Is there any way I can do this with little or no hassle?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a KVM switch with two of my PCs. They both have HDMI output and VGA output. I also have HDMI output from three DVD players and a WD Live box. The HDMI from the PCs and the DVD players and the WD goes through a remote controlled five selection HDMI switch. Then that output goes to a HDMI splitter. That feeds my LCD monitor, which has HDMI and VGA inputs, and also feeds my HDMI video projector at the same time. Since I use coaxial audio, I also have a 5 input switcher for that. Sounds a bit complicated, but works great.

I can view HDMI from either computer or my DVD players on my LCD monitor, or on my HDMI projector screen.

At least with my computers, they can output HDMI and VGA at the same time. HDMI and DVI at the same time can be a problem with most video cards, though. Usually you can only have one digital and one analog output from a video card.

I use HDMI and coaxial switchers from MonoPrice. I also use one of their HDMI powered splitters. They are inexpensive and work well for me. http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
    Quote Quote  
  3. Former Kanenite
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks, good to know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the new HDMI monitor also has VGA plugs, and will switch automatically between inputs, as most of them do, just plug it in and continue as normal.
    Quote Quote