VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Documentaries Doc Wannabe
    Search PM
    Hello guys,

My name is Leo.

I beg your pardon in case this has been asked or discussed before and I would appreciate you indicate me if so, because I couldn't find somethign similiar on the search engine.

A friend of mine told me to not to buy a video camera. Instead to buy a Photo camera that records HD video.

I want it for Experimental documentaries.

Is that the best option? Or should I buy a Video camera?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    Hello guys,

My name is Leo.

I beg your pardon in case this has been asked or discussed before and I would appreciate you indicate me if so, because I couldn't find somethign similiar on the search engine.

A friend of mine told me to not to buy a video camera. Instead to buy a Photo camera that records HD video.

I want it for Experimental documentaries.

Is that the best option? Or should I buy a Video camera?

Thanks!
    Pros and cons depending on what you want to do.

Digital still photo cameras have added "video snapshot" capability. This allows shooting short clips alternate to stills. These are highly compressed with limited audio support but are fine for immediate upload for web sharing with friends. Downside is flash card consumption for longer clips, lack of camcorder features and difficulty for post editing.

More sophisticated DSLR cams share many of the flash consumption and audio limitations but allow use of short depth of field lenses to achieve a film look. Their larger sensors and lenses also give better low light performance. Serious "film" work usually requires specialized separate audio solutions.

Video camcorders are available for a wide range of shooting conditions and price points. If your goal is traditional long form video production, the camcorder has all the needed features.

More detail on your requirements and budget will help narrow the options.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    This is something I'm also interested in. After I got my used miniDV cam a few months ago I started buying a few video making magazines and I'm seeing magazines dealing with shooting video with regular cameras! I'm thinking - what the h*ll is this? Cameras are now better at video than video cameras?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    This is something I'm also interested in. After I got my used miniDV cam a few months ago I started buying a few video making magazines and I'm seeing magazines dealing with shooting video with regular cameras! I'm thinking - what the h*ll is this? Cameras are now better at video than video cameras?
    Again it depends on what you want to shoot, quality expectations, budget and amount of stuff you want to haul around.

In almost all forms of pro production, video camcorders rule. For consumers, you need to consider your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. edDV's comments are all valid. I will give our experience...I used to use a Panasonic DV camera for shooting around the ranch, horses etc. It was OK at the time but recently purchased a little pocket 'photo' camera, a Sony DSC-HX7V HD (AVCHD). Let me tell you it takes video that is so superior to the Pany.... there is no comparison. This camera can be taken on horse rides and still shoot while riding with minimum shake. So for what we use it for here, it is far superior than lugging a regular video camera around on horseback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But to be fair, one must compare a new digital camera against a new video camcorder, not a 10 year old standard def model.

In the lower range consumer models, digital cameras usually fall short in these areas:

- microphone and audio recording are usually mono, highly compressed and poor.
    - usually lack image stabilization.
    - can't zoom and shoot at the same time.
    - can't focus and shoot at the same time.
    - generally lacks dynamic exposure while shooting.
    - rolling shutter CMOS sensor issues.
    - low light issues
    Last edited by edDV; 25th Apr 2011 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote