VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I rent a dvd movie from redbox or netflix and subtitles or cc is almost non existant, so I would like to know if I can make a copy of this movie and add subtitles to the new dvd movie? I am older and hearing impaired. They offer so many movies I would like to see, but don't rent because I cannot make out the audio. I have many older friends who also would benefit from subtitles. Thanks
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD . As you see it's not that simple and you must also find subtitles that matches your source dvd or you will get subtitle sync problems.

But you are not allowed to discuss how to rip rented dvds....so buy them instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick,
    Ok then if that is my only option then I will scrap the whole idea. I can get the movies for free on TV, but I would need a dvd recorder to record them. I see the prices have been coming down lately, and all the stations that air new movies have cc. HBO, STARZ, ENCORE, ON DEMAND, even NETFLICKS offers movies for a small fee per month. Its just that you need a dvd recorder.
    And just for information purposes, how would you ever find a subtitle for the source dvd to advoid sync problems? How would you even know what the source dvd is? Just seems impossible to me.... I have searched and cc is impossible to obtain, or at least I thought so. Subtitles seem so much more available. I'm guessing the movie makers don't care if the older population views their work, guess we don't count anymore....
    Thanks
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're in the US. Just about every US film on DVD I've ever seen comes with subtitles. I use them all the time because I often watch late at night and don't want to awaken anyone. I know for a fact almost all NetFlix American movies come with subtitles. I don't know why Redbox would be any different. Heck, in most cases they come on automatically because I have my DVD player set up to automatically show them. Most movies have a subtitle menu where you can turn them on. But that shouldn't even be necessary as the subtitle button on the remote control can also turn them on after the movie starts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is rare for a DVD disc released in the US not to have either English subtitles or closed captions. I'm a Redbox customer and have yet to rent one that has neither closed captions nor English subtitles. If you want to find out whether a movie has them, normally the description for the movie at Amazon will say if it has closed captions. Blu-ray movies may not have closed captions, but I think most have English subtitles for the hearing impaired. If you are not seeing closed captions for any movies that you rent, then most likely your player or the connections to the TV are at fault.

1. Some DVD players have a closed caption on/off setting. Make sure it is on.

2. Make sure you are not using progressive output. Progressive output removes the part of the signal that contains closed captions. You need interlaced output for closed captions.

3. Use composite (yellow) or S-Video (larger black mini-din port) to connect the player to the TV. Using component (red green blue) can prevent closed closed captions from being sent. HDMI can't send closed captions.

4. Although most DVD players provide closed captions when you set them up correctly and use the right connection, it is possible you have one of the few that doesn't. If so, you need to get a new DVD player.

5. Blu-ray players are more likely not to provide closed capions when playing DVDs. This is because of the connections that are normally used for HD video (HDMI or component). Also the Blu-Ray spec does not officially include closed captions. Subtitles for the hearing impaired are to be used instead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I have spoke to REdbox several times and gave them the titles I was looking to rent and they told me as their site also states no CC, and no subtitles. Now I live in Pa. and those are the facts. I also mentioned to Redbox and asked if they are using black market dvds and they assure me they are not. If I choose to buy the same movies anywhere they all have cc and subtitles in english.......

Honestly, why would I waste my time if this was not the case. I got this information from the horses mouth itself, Redbox...
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  7. And in the first post you mentioned both NetFlix and Redbox in the same sentence. If I were you I'd quit renting from Redbox after first telling the customer rep why you're leaving them. Then rent exclusively from Netflix. Increase the amount out at a time if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just got off the phone with Red Box 25 minute phone call, because I thought the web site might be wrong.
    127 Hours
    Fair Game
    The Tourist
    Fast and Furious
    The Fighter
    The Switch
    The Bone Collector
    Hereafter
    Renegade
    Born to Raise Hell
    The Way Back
    The Kings Speech

All of these have no CC or subtitles in english

Defiance
    RAbbit Hole
    These 2 are available with CC and spanish subtitles....

It can't be any clearer that this.......

The Fighter and 127 Hours I rented and know for a fact there is no CC or subtitles on these discs........
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono,
    That is correct Netfilx also offers limited dvds with cc and subtitles, maybe that is why Redbox is only 1.00 per night.....
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by woodtogo View Post
    Ok I have spoke to REdbox several times and gave them the titles I was looking to rent and they told me as their site also states no CC, and no subtitles. Now I live in Pa. and those are the facts. I also mentioned to Redbox and asked if they are using black market dvds and they assure me they are not. If I choose to buy the same movies anywhere they all have cc and subtitles in english.......

Honestly, why would I waste my time if this was not the case. I got this information from the horses mouth itself, Redbox...
    Customer service reps are frequently not the best source of information when it comes to technical matters. I would not take their word on something like this. The descriptions of the movie may not say closed captions or subtitles, but that doesn't mean they are not there. The customer service reps are likely reading the same descriptions on their terminal that you see on the website, and basing their answer on what they don't see in the descriptions.

Rental outlets frequently use rental edition DVDs, which don't contain extras like director commentaries, and "making of the movie" documentaries, etc. However, if they can't obtain the rental edition, they buy the regular DVD. Closed captions are encoded into the MPEG-2 user data of the movie itself. They would need to make a special effort to remove them for them to be gone from the rental edition and present in the retail DVD, and there is no reason to go to the extra trouble. Foreign films would be the exception. Those may not have closed captions, but the ones I have rented from Redbox have English subtitles.

[Edit] I took a look at some of these movies on Amazon, and CCs are not mentioned. Some of them are foreign films, so it isn't surprising. They did list English subtitles. Surprising if they indeed removed subtitles from the rental edition.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Apr 2011 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have done a bit more research, and the blame lies with neither Netflix nor Redbox.

It is the movie studios who are at fault. They determine what will be included in the rental editions, and increasingly English subtitles and CCs are being left out. The studios don't want renters to have the same features available as on the retail version of the DVD, and in this instance they are shooting themselves in the foot. Rental outlets prefer to buy rental editions because of the lower price, and because they don't want to engage in disputes with their suppliers.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank-you usuallly quiet, I don't know how you foulnd this out, but that answers a lot of questions for me.
    I was just about to answer you and tell you to go rent a couple of these videos and you would see for yourself. Yes you are right about their thinking, if they don't want us to see the movie then keep up the good work..... I will get them from friends or TV.... Their loss....

And yes I have voiced my opinion to Red box and Netflix both. And they say they will take note of my view..... yea right.....
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The studios prefer to have us go to the theater or purchase the DVD to see their movies, rather than rent, although they do care enough about their public image that I'm surprised to see this happening.

Ultimately, it will be bad for customer relations to continue the practice. I can see AARP and deaf/hard of hearing advocacy groups formally protesting this discriminatory trend.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Apr 2011 at 15:26.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I was reading this thread out of curiosity. Part of me is surprised that the studios would go to the bother to produce 2 different masters for rental and purchase. Then again, some of the studios spend extra money to try to prevent copying of their discs via various means so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I wonder if the studios will start producing lower quality DVD discs on single layers to further stick it to renters.
    Quote Quote