VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    all uploads now being made into WebM and they are working on all the other video also.

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/04/mmm-mmm-good-youtube-videos-now-served.html

WebM - http://www.webmproject.org/about/
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How will this work on portable devices, standalone dvd/blu-ray players, etc with youtube support?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my take is firmware updates for all. vp8 video with ogg audio isn't included currently in anything i know of... it's an all open, royalty-free, media file format so i think the manufacturers should get onboard with it. how soon, idk??
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Man, that sux. Premature, if you ask me. There are plenty of mobile and other CE devices that aren't easily (or at all) firmware updateable. It'll be another year or two before WebM is fully incorporated on the chipset level.

You'd think they could at least set it up where you could pick which to view - Lowrez Flash vp6, or Hirez MP4 h.264 or Hirez WebM...

This is where competition with other providers (hulu, etc) might shake things up.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. MPEG-LA have put VP8 under the microscope to see if any part of it infringes any of their members' patents. Google claim it doesn't, MPEG-LA claim it "probably does" with it's close similarities to H.264.

Hardware manufacturers might wait to see who wins that argument, rather than risk being sued for royalties in the future should MPEG-LA get their way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly Google keeps making stupid decisions. If they do have money to waste, they'd better have bought (and released) the source-code for Haali Media Splitter --- this certainly would be cheaper and more useful than a half-baked codec. For the uninformed,

720p@24fps H264 + 5.1 AAC

IS decoded faster than

720p@24fps VP8 + 5.1 Vorbis

So, how good can be the overhyped WebM ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's for 3rd world countries like China.

The Chinese don't want to pay royalties to any "foreigners". So if Google can get them to embed WebM in their domestic hardware, Google can bring them "up to speed" and sell more ads.

China has been looking for their own formats for a long time. It's a matter of national pride.

Google was smart to buy ON2 to close the door on Adobe "Flash" advancement, and to develop their own H.264-like codec. If WebM spreads out in the world stage, Google saves money too.

These poor countries gobble up "free", and in some ways, to their own detriment.
    Last edited by budwzr; 21st Apr 2011 at 11:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    In keeping with our goal of making videos universally accessible, we will continue to support H.264 as an important codec for video on YouTube.
    Even if they transcode everything to WebM they also provide a h.264 version, because all browsers do not yet support WebM.
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
  9. Does anyone know how to convert a webm video to mpeg2?

I downloaded several youtube videos which were available in .flv, .mp4 and webm.
    I compared them and it looks like webm has the best quality.
    I don't know how the fps is but my guess would be 30 frames/s

I tried the following software to diretcly convert it to mpeg2 but wasn't successful:
    avstodvd, the filmmachine, dvdflick, avidemux

Does anyone know a good tool to convert this format to mpeg2?

The specs are:

Video: VP80 566x314 [Video]
    Audio: Vorbis 44100Hz mono [Audio]

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : VP8
    Codec ID : V_VP8
    Bit rate : 631 Kbps
    Width : 566 pixels
    Height : 314 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : Vorbis
    Format settings, Floor : 1
    Codec ID : A_VORBIS
    Duration : 4mn 9s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 2.86 MiB (13%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

thanks in advance
    -Gwar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd pick a different version that doesn't have variable frame rate.

[edit] i should have also told you that you should have started a new thread of your own, as your question doesn't really have anything to do with the original post. i only caught it because i started this thread.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 24th Oct 2012 at 15:51.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Gwar: I think you should try Freemake Video Converter. It has a DVD output format. Perhaps you can convert it to a DVD folder than extract the VOB file and export that with a program as an .mpeg2 file.

I just checked the Freemake Video Converter. It is the tool you need. It has a Mpeg Option, and I thought that would mean just .mpeg1 but .mpeg2 is there as well. Be careful though during the install that you avoid the toolbars, and other stuff you don't want to install along with the Freemake Video Converter.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 28th Oct 2012 at 12:34. Reason: To Add Additional Information
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    Gwar: I think you should try Freemake Video Converter. It has a DVD output format. Perhaps you can convert it to a DVD folder than extract the VOB file and export that with a program as an .mpeg2 file.

I just checked the Freemake Video Converter. It is the tool you need. It has a Mpeg Option, and I thought that would mean just .mpeg1 but .mpeg2 is there as well. Be careful though during the install that you avoid the toolbars, and other stuff you don't want to install along with the Freemake Video Converter.
    Thanks a lot man the tool did the job !

I just posted another thread regarding the toppic here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350490-Convert-WebM-to-MPEG2?p=2196960#post2196960

since this was the wrong thread to post it and there isn't another WebM to DVD thread on vcdhelp yet.

cheers and thanks a lot
    -Gwar
    Quote Quote  
  13. Gwar: I am glad that I was able to direct you to right program that helped you get the .mpeg2 file you wanted.
    Quote Quote