VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Currently I am using Cyberlink Powerdirector 9.
    Have you got better suggestions?
    thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    windv is usually recommended on this site.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    windv is usually recommended on this site.
    I saw that it is a pretty old utility. Will it work properly with Windows 7 x64?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is still recommended so I assume it is.

All else fails you can cap to dv-avi in windows movie maker.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Works fine with Windows 7 x64.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Works fine with Windows 7 x64.
    Thanks!
    No option to stop capturing after a given time though...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nikgelfi View Post
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Works fine with Windows 7 x64.
    Thanks!
    No option to stop capturing after a given time though...
    Well there is but you need a calculator. You can set the maximum AVI size in frames.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It doesn't really matter what you capture DV AVI with, as long as it works. The quality will be the same. All the software is doing is taking the already compressed video stream from the ADVC and putting it in an AVI wrapper.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've used the free non-commercial version of Enosoft with excellent results for some time now.
    You might want to give it a try. The program even has some editing ability built in.
    It's at:
    www.enosoft.net
    Hope this helps!
    Fred
    Last edited by mediachimp; 19th Apr 2011 at 20:34. Reason: url corrction
    Quote Quote  
  10. Enosoft does have one advantage: It can adjust the brightness and contrast of the DV video while capturing without decompressing and recompressing it and thereby avoiding any quality loss. Technically, it does decompress/recompress the entropy encoding but that portion is lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I use Sony Video Capture, which comes with the Vegas editing package. I wrote a script in AutoHotkey to take a value in minutes and stop the capture at the end of that time. (AutoHotkey is a great keyboard/mouse automator, and it's free.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always used AVI_IO with my ADVC-100. Never had any problems with dropped frames. Not sure if it will run under Win7.

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Not sure about the other software mentioned but WinDV will stop writing to disk whenever the video stops. That means you can do unattended captures of recordings of unknown length from VHS. When the tape ends the file stops being written. This is with a Panasonic AG-1970 which doesn't output anything when the tape is stopped. Not sure what happens if your VCR outputs something like a solid blue screen when the tape is stopped.

WinDV is also pretty straighforward about where it stores the file and what it is called. You have full and intuitive control. That was a complaint I had about some other software.... it made it difficult to figure out where the file was written and/or what it was called.

My only complaint is that it doesn't seem possible to monitor the audio during capture.

Paul
    Quote Quote