VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

does anybody know if you can change/remove the region code on this device?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's no harm in asking as every now and then a request like yours does get a positive answer, but Sony and Samsung players of all types are among the most difficult in the world to unlock. If you searched and can't find an unlock code, one probably doesn't exist. If you bought your player in the USA or Canada you might as well give up looking as the only Samsung BluRay players we've ever heard about being able to be unlocked (and ONLY for DVD region free playback) were sold in places like Australia and maybe Europe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi mikey321

Don't suppose you ever managed to make your BD-D6500 region free? I just bought mine in Australia...

Here's hoping...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I must thank 'mxm' in the Whirlpool forum for this solution. It does work (on 2nd attempt for me).

I know that I started the 'repeat' 7 6 8 8 4 process whilst the blue light was still on during the "press eject button".

Whether that helped or not, who knows? In any case, I was very happy to see the '4' appear in the top right of the TV screen.

To quote 'mxm. ...

Just confirming this does work for DVDs, so good news. The instructions for the bd d5500 didn't quite apply since there isn't a physical tray. This is what I did and it worked:

1. Ensure there is no disk in the player
    2. Turn off and turn on the player (clean boot)
    3. Wait for the menu to appear on your tv

Now this is a bit tricky, you'll have to be quick, you'll probably have to try a couple of times.

4. press the eject button (on the remote or on the display)
    5. press the eject button again
    6. on your remote, in one smooth motion, press 'repeat' 7 6 8 8 4
    7. As soon as you see the '4' appear on the top right of your tv, press 9.

Your player is now region free for DVDs. Enjoy! Please note: as you've probably found all over the web, this works for Australian players, most likely not for others.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have tried numerous times to unlock my bdd6500 which is only a week old. No matter HOW I try it.....I cannot get the hack to work. I keep hitting the REPEAT key followed by my region code (57538) and watch for the '4' to appear on the TV screen but to no avail. The current software version on the bdd6500 is 2012/01/17_001022 and it is hooked up to a Samsung TV ue55d7000 (again, only a week old)
    if anyone has any further info on what I could try , I would be eternally grateful
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like around September 2011 Samsung altered the firmwear to prevent the R.C. hack from working
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you want region free and you live outside of Australia, do NOT buy Sony and Samsung. It is just that simple.

Hacks break all the time due to hardware and/or firmware changes by the manufacturer. In a worst case the hack is actually already obsolete by the time we get information about it. I'm not going to tell you that particular scenario happens a lot, but it has happened.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip it and burn it,it's region free.
    Quote Quote