VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After much reading, I have decided to pass on the DVD writers at this time until standards and media get settled.

What I do want to buy and would greatly appreicate your recommendations for is the best internal DVD for my PC.

Here are my needs/specifics:

I want this DVD so I can burn with my 12x CD writer to VCD or SVCD.
    I will need this to replace my 52x CD reader, no room for 3 CD/DVD items.

Will want to make sure that there is flexability on formats it can can read and play, it would make it a lot easier for my testing, rather than having to take it to my stand-alone Panasonic DVD player.

I am running WinME, 384MG RAM, 800mh AMD Duron processor.
    It would be great to have a combination of format compatiability and speed, if possible.

I have only seen Pioneer recommended for this, hopefully there are others as well. If the recommendation is pioneer, which one ?

Thanks so much in advance !!

[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-ROM's for computers are required to meet tougher standards than standalone DVD's.

Standalone DVD's must play only DVD-VIdeo

DVD-ROM must play CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Etc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Greg for that post, but ....
    Do you have a recommendation for the DVD-Rom ?

Thanks,

Jolo
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everyone here has been raving about Pioneer DVD-ROMs for outright rip speed. From the numbers they post and based on my experience from my Acer 12x and Toshiba 16x I wish I had bought a Pioneer. I average 2-3x with Smartripper on Toshiba w/dual 733 P3 and 2x on Acer w/1.5 P4. I hear boasts of 6-10x for some Pioneers. Search forum for Pioneer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a creative dvd-rom (x6) and i rip on average about x4-x5 using smartripper.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i would suggest go with pioneer 116 Model and i rip about 4X-9X with smartripper or clad DVD. I use to have Samsung it rips not more that 3X and i heard sony and Toshiba also rip at 2-4X at the max. Liteon would be antoher one to consider. but i would prefer Pioneer as many recomend and use that. Use Pricewatch.com you can get it for about 60 - 65 $ US including shipping
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much Baskaran.

I understand better now about the recommendations for the Pioneer.

What are your feelings about the speed in which it loads reads CDs. I have my Iomega CDW, and the Pioneer will replace my 52x CD reader.

By the way, I'm in Colorado Springs, only 30-45 minutes away from you Baskaran.

Thanks everyone !!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing I need to ask before I order.
    It appears that there is a Pioneer 106 and a 116.
    The 106 is a slot load
    The 116 is a trey load and Tray Model does not include Digital Audio Output.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the slot and tray model. I assume it is on how it gets installed.

Also, does the fact that the tray model does not do digital output something I should consider ?

Thanks in advance !!
    Quote Quote  
  9. tray loadind is what most computer drives use... slot loading is similiar to what car audio cd players look like (the slot that sucks in the cds). cant think of a better way to explain it, hope you understand what im gettin at.

i own the tray model and it works fine, but i regret not noticing it didnt have the digital output... this means dvd playback wont beable to output a 5.1 signal, unless i just am not setting it up right, please correct me if im wrong... i would love to know how to get the 5.1 signal to my soundcard without the use of the digital output.
    Quote Quote  
  10. As a side not on the Tray vs. Slot models...if you plan on using MiniDisc you will have to have the Tray model, I don't know of any Slot model that allow for the MiniCD, I may be wrong...if I am please let me know.

Bud
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, you are correct. The slot loading ones won't work with the mini-cds nor those business size cds.

Kusanagi
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a Sony 16x. The ripping speed isn't very consistent, but it sure as hell isn't 2x-4x max, either. It usually varies between 3x and 9x. On average, about 8-15 minutes to rip a DVD video. It reads CDs at 48x and was a pretty good buy at about $50 online.
    Quote Quote