VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a video player that can play standard video formats for a business application. In the video players I've tried, speeding up the video simply skips ahead in the video a few seconds depending on how fast you're playing it. I want to be able to see all the frames of the video playing faster, rather than skipping and missing certain frames. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty Wilson
    Washington, DC
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use VLC Media Player, Playback->Faster or Media Player Classic (or MPCHC), Play->Increase rate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. But that will only work up to some frame rate depending on the speed of your computer, codec used, frame size, etc. At some point the decoding (or I/O) of frames becomes a bottleneck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses. Are there certain specifications, codecs, frame rates, that I can require to get an image every second, even at 8x speed?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Malachaidc View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Are there certain specifications, codecs, frame rates, that I can require to get an image every second, even at 8x speed?
    yes ; this is what jagabo was explaining

e.g. if you have a 24fps video, 8x speed would be 8x24 = 192fps

but if you had a 10fps video, 8x speed would only equate to 80fps , I'm sure you get the idea....

If you had a 1920x1080p24 video, you probably won't drop any frames, but trying to play all 192fps, you will drop frames (CPU hardware probably not fast enough)

If you had a SD sized video , you probably wouldn't drop any frames, because there is less data to decode per frame

Compression differences too; most h264 profiles are more CPU intensive, than say, MPEG2 . You will max out CPU usage and drop frames more likely using stronger compressed material. (more CPU cycles required to DEcode the video)

But if you used uncompressed video, you start running into I/O bottlenecks with single HDD's as you exceed the I/O transfer rates. For example 8bit 1920x1080p24 4:2:0 is about 95MB/s
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th Apr 2011 at 20:56.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And keep in mind that no matter how much you speed up the video you will only see 60 different frames per second on a 60 Hz monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a lot of forum links that points to this page !??

are they dead links ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a program called cucusoft that takes dvd and copies my dvds onto my computer but some new dvds I've bought say that can't download certain movies because they have macrovision. How do I fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Malachaidc View Post
    I'm looking for a video player that can play standard video formats for a business application. In the video players I've tried, speeding up the video simply skips ahead in the video a few seconds depending on how fast you're playing it. I want to be able to see all the frames of the video playing faster, rather than skipping and missing certain frames. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty Wilson
    Washington, DC
    We might be able to help more if you gave detail on codec and resolution.

If you have control of both sides of the stream there are options.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by oki4life View Post
    I have a program called cucusoft that takes dvd and copies my dvds onto my computer but some new dvds I've bought say that can't download certain movies because they have macrovision. How do I fix this problem?
    Your post is completely outside the subject of this thread. Open your own thread to ask your question.
    Last edited by manono; 28th Nov 2011 at 02:47.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Malachaidc View Post
    yes ; this is what jagabo was explaining

e.g. if you have a 24fps video, 8x speed would be 8x24 = 192fps

but if you had a 10fps video, 8x speed would only equate to 80fps , I'm sure you get the idea....

If you had a 1920x1080p24 video, you probably won't drop any frames, but trying to play all 192fps, you will drop frames (CPU hardware probably not fast enough)

If you had a SD sized video , you probably wouldn't drop any frames, because there is less data to decode per frame

Compression differences too; most h264 profiles are more CPU intensive, than say, MPEG2 . You will max out CPU usage and drop frames more likely using stronger compressed material. (more CPU cycles required to DEcode the video)

But if you used uncompressed video, you start running into I/O bottlenecks with single HDD's as you exceed the I/O transfer rates. For example 8bit 1920x1080p24 4:2:0 is about 95MB/s
    This is a great explanation. Thank you!!

World 3d Film Exposition
    Last edited by shanevic7; 12th Aug 2012 at 21:46.
    Quote Quote