so I went past multichoice
    & got a New DSTV Decoder on Friday

Now when I try & Record anything it says
    " Copy-protected. Cannot record"

Please could someone let me know
    how I can go about resolving this problem

Regards,
    Maniac
    Perhaps the DVD recorder is detecting copy protection flags in the analog signal it receives from the DStv decoder, but the old receiver did not transmit the part of the signal where these copy protection flags reside. The problem you have could be caused by genuine copy protection, or noise that your DVD recorder sees as copy protection.

There are theree basic levels, "copy freely", "copy once" and "copy never". "Copy freely" programming can be recorded on any disc."Copy never" programming can't be recorded. "Copy once" allows recording, but requires that the recording must be copy protected in a way that prevents additional copies from being made. If the disc used can't support the required form of copy protection, then recording is prevented.

The manual for your recorder says to use VR mode formatted DVD-RW discs for recording copy-once material. It is likely that, under normal circumstances, the recordings will only be playable by the recorder that made them, but some people find using the right discs to be the most convenient solution. Others use a device known as a video stabilizer or video clarifier to remove all copy protection from the signal. Such devices may or may not be available in your country.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Maniac100 View Post
    Hi,

I have an LG DVD Recorder - Number DR389
    I Live in Johannesburg , South Africa

I have had this DVD Recorder for around 2 yrs
    & have never had a problem with it

I normaly record on DVD's

I had a problem DSTV Decoder last week
    so I went past multichoice
    & got a New DSTV Decoder on Friday

Now when I try & Record anything it says
    " Copy-protected. Cannot record"

Please could someone let me know
    how I can go about resolving this problem

Regards,
    Maniac
    Perhaps the DVD recorder is detecting copy protection flags in the analog signal it receives from the DStv decoder, but the old receiver did not transmit the part of the signal where these copy protection flags reside. The problem you have could be caused by genuine copy protection, or noise that your DVD recorder sees as copy protection.

There are theree basic levels, "copy freely", "copy once" and "copy never". "Copy freely" programming can be recorded on any disc."Copy never" programming can't be recorded. "Copy once" allows recording, but requires that the recording must be copy protected in a way that prevents additional copies from being made. If the disc used can't support the required form of copy protection, then recording is prevented.

The manual for your recorder says to use VR mode formatted DVD-RW discs for recording copy-once material. It is likely that, under normal circumstances, the recordings will only be playable by the recorder that made them, but some people find using the right discs to be the most convenient solution. Others use a device known as a video stabilizer or video clarifier to remove all copy protection from the signal. Such devices may or may not be available in your country.
    I have the same problem in Mauritius!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jct2168 View Post

I have the same problem in Mauritius!
    Sure.... IF you want help then leave such statements out, because they never help anyone.

Describe your OWN issues precisely.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Toshiba DVD player-burner model DK430ku. On some channels mainly Fox related, Speed. Fox Sports, Big Ten etc. The unit will only show on the screen "Protected Program by none". It will not pass the channel through to the TV and of course not record the event.
    Is there a hack or update of some kind to get rid of this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I farted.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sec-22 View Post
    I have a Toshiba DVD player-burner model DK430ku. On some channels mainly Fox related, Speed. Fox Sports, Big Ten etc. The unit will only show on the screen "Protected Program by none". It will not pass the channel through to the TV and of course not record the event.
    Is there a hack or update of some kind to get rid of this?
    No hacks or update for the DVD recorder can fix your problem. A "video stabilizer" or "video clarifier" like the Dimax Grex might allow you to record them, assuming your subscription does include these channels and you can view them if the DVD recorder is bypassed and your set top box is connected directly to a TV. http://www.amazon.com/digital-video-stabilizer-Capture-Recorder/dp/B004YTW5SI
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I farted.
    Someone is baking brownies!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I am sure this problem was solved allready. had the same problem 2 years ago and the trick is in your connections. The cables need to be connected so that you record from the tv and not from the decoder. You need to make a rf cable to run from your decoder to your dvd recorder and you will need a double adaptor for your rf cable at the back of your dvd player. If you still struggle just shout an I will explain in more detail. Think my dvd recorders lense has packed up so im in for a pvr i guess.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leonp View Post
    I am sure this problem was solved allready. had the same problem 2 years ago and the trick is in your connections. The cables need to be connected so that you record from the tv and not from the decoder. You need to make a rf cable to run from your decoder to your dvd recorder and you will need a double adaptor for your rf cable at the back of your dvd player. If you still struggle just shout an I will explain in more detail. Think my dvd recorders lense has packed up so im in for a pvr i guess.
    I have never seen a TV with have RF out, and almost none have a "monitor out" RCA connection, so in most cases, there is unlikely to be a way to "record from the TV and not from the decoder".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I think the way I explained the connection was a bit confusing, will try to do it in more detail, here goes.
    Decoder
    On the back of the DSTV decoder( DSD1131) there are, 1) LNB in( fromyour dish), 2) RF in, 3) RF out and 3) your three AV jacks.
    Step 1: Connect your decoder to your DVD recorder with the AV cables like normally.
    Step 2: Connect a RF cable from your decoder at RF out to the "Antenna in" at the back of your DVD recorder.( You will have to make this cable yourself) You will allso need a "double adaptor at the Antenna in jack of your DVD recorder.

DVD recorder to TV
    Step 1:Connect your TV to the DVD recorder like you normally do with your AV cables( 3 pluggs)
    Step2: Connect a cable from your "Antenna out" plug on your DVD recorder to your TV.
    Step3: Connect your TV aerial, to the Antenna in plug on your DVD recorder.
    You will now be able to record from your TV on the AV channel.

This works for me allthough my DVD recorder seems to be broken and I will have to replace it with a PVR
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Step 2: Connect a RF cable from your decoder at RF out to the "Antenna in" at the back of your DVD recorder.( You will have to make this cable yourself)
    You just went from "helpful" to "idiot" with that comment in parenthesis. Do you seriously believe that the majority of our members are going to be able to do that? Unbelievable.

You will allso need a "double adaptor at the Antenna in jack of your DVD recorder.
    Why? I fail to understand the reason, but maybe you're just really bad at explaining.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the way I explained the connection was a bit confusing, will try to do it in more detail, here goes.
    Decoder
    On the back of the DSTV decoder( DSD1131) there are, 1) LNB in( fromyour dish), 2) RF in, 3) RF out and 3) your three AV jacks.
    Step 1: Connect your decoder to your DVD recorder with the AV cables like normally.
    Step 2: Connect a RF cable from your decoder at RF out to the "Antenna in" at the back of your DVD recorder.( You will have to make this cable yourself) You will allso need a "double adaptor at the Antenna in jack of your DVD recorder.

DVD recorder to TV
    Step 1:Connect your TV to the DVD recorder like you normally do with your AV cables( 3 pluggs)
    Step2: Connect a cable from your "Antenna out" plug on your DVD recorder to your TV.

This works for me allthough my DVD recorder seems to be broken and I will have to replace it with a PVR
    Your solution doesn't address the actual problem that need to be resolved. Those asking for help have connected their equipment correctly. What they cannot do is record to a DVD due to copy protection in the signal from their set top box.

Not unless the TV itself can record from its A/V inputs to a USB storage device. Many TVs cannot. No TVs sold in N. America can, as far as I know.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Step 2: Connect a RF cable from your decoder at RF out to the "Antenna in" at the back of your DVD recorder.( You will have to make this cable yourself)
    You just went from "helpful" to "idiot" with that comment in parenthesis. Do you seriously believe that the majority of our members are going to be able to do that? Unbelievable.

You will allso need a "double adaptor at the Antenna in jack of your DVD recorder.
    Why? I fail to understand the reason, but maybe you're just really bad at explaining.
    jman98
    I should have told you I live in SA and we are still on analogue( if you are not a DSTV subscriber). This means that you use a normal TV aerial if you dont have a DSTV decoder. This means that some people still use normal analogue TV. If you have DSTV the decoder changes this to digital (my decoder is my "set top box")
    1) the reason for the double adaptor is to allow you to use the normal analogue TV areal. The DVD recorder have only 1 Antenna in" jack at the back and I have 2 antennas to connect , one from my DSTV decoder with the cable that the majority of the people cant make and one from my analogue tv aerial.
    If you really want to you can leave the analogue aerial out in which case you wont be able to have any analogue signal but your DSTV signal will still be fine.
    My advice was actually meant for Maniac 100 who allso lives in South Africa and I am sure he will understand what I mean.
    I allso want to add that DVD recorders are no longer for sale in SA and this is why DSTV placed copy protection flags in their signal to force thepeople to buy PVR decoders. However if you connect your equipment like I did you dont have to buy a PVR decoder if you live in SA.
    Jman98 did you ever think that people can ask somebody to help them tomake a cable. Maybe you can help them, thats if you understand, because I think you are the one who went past idiot stage. Please send me your email adress ,maybe I can draw you a little picture.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Decoder

DVD recorder to TV

As instructed by DSTV here in Mauritius I have just exchanged my easy to record on DSD 910 for the cheap and nasty 1132 model with the copy protection problem. I have followed your connection instructions but failed to achieve a signal. There is a conflict of opinion here with most saying it is now not possible to record without a PVR. Do you have any advice to give?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Nick136. I had to get myself a PVR because DVD recorders are no longer sold in SA. 1) If you do not have DSTV in Mauritius does your tv work with a normal antenna or do you use a set top box? In SA we still use normal antennas unless you have DSTV. My DSTV makes the signal digital ( like the set top box in other countries.

If you connected your DSTV decoder and DVD recorder as I explained the following might be your problem.
    1) Your DVD recorder should have a av channell to. If I remember correct your dvd recorder should be set to AV and not your TV (as mentioned in step 3)
    2) If your connections are right you should be able to watch DSTV if you switch your TV to AV channell. However you will not be able to record.
    If you switch back from av to tv you should be able to watch dstv on one of your normal tv channels (which ever channell was tuned for it) If you now switch your DVD recorder to AV while keeping your TV on the normal TV channell you should be able to record.
    Hope this helped, just let me know if you still struggle.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nick136. I had to get myself a PVR because DVD recorders are no longer sold in SA. 1) If you do not have DSTV in Mauritius does your tv work with a normal antenna or do you use a set top box? In SA we still use normal antennas unless you have DSTV. My DSTV makes the signal digital ( like the set top box in other countries.

If you connected your DSTV decoder and DVD recorder as I explained the following might be your problem.
    1) Your DVD recorder should have a av channell to. If I remember correct your dvd recorder should be set to AV and not your TV (as mentioned in step 3)
    2) If your connections are right you should be able to watch DSTV if you switch your TV to AV channell. However you will not be able to record.
    If you switch back from av to tv you should be able to watch dstv on one of your normal tv channels (which ever channell was tuned for it) If you now switch your DVD recorder to AV while keeping your TV on the normal TV channell you should be able to record.
    Hope this helped, just let me know if you still struggle.
    Thank you very much indeed. I am recording successfully and can still view old recordings on RAM DVD whilst recording. Hopefully I have put off the need to buy a PVR for a time (DVD recorder 6 years old!). The technician here in Mauritius who said it was possible was right - he just didn't know how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    leonp - My sincere apologies for my extremely rude previous post in February. I'm not trying to evade responsibility for what I said, but let me just say that that was a difficult day for me and I think a personal issue specifically on that day had a really big impact on my attitude.

I still think that it's not a fantastic suggestion to tell people to make their own cables, but there are ways to make that point without being rude about it. Anyway, you did clearly try to help and shouldn't be subjected to all my crap for that, so again, sorry about that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Nick- No problem Buddy, Im glad it worked for you. I suppose DSTV made tons of money out of PVR sales and a lot of people are now sitting with DVD recorders they dont use because they bought pvrs. I had to buy a pvr as my DVD recorders writer have seen better days( I could buy the part from LG but its more expensive than a PVR and what I paid for my DVD recorder). If you have a DVD recorder with a hard drive im sure it can still last for a couple of years.

Jman- Dont worry about that , things like that dont get to me and I have forgotten about that ages ago. I must be honest , when I was thinking this connection out I was very sceptical whether it would be successfull so I think maybe I would do the same ( or worse) if I was in your shoes...Lol
    Quote Quote