VideoHelp Forum


Try DVD Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Thread
  1. Hi, sorry if this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find anything on it.

    I have a BDMV folder on my hard drive from a Blu-Ray disc. I'd like to know how I can create an MKV video file from it, if that's possible.

    Do I first need to create a mountable BR disc image (like an ISO of a DVD)? If so, can someone suggest a freeware or shareware app for this?

    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    check out makemkv.

    rip with dvdfabdecrypter or anydvdhd first - though I think makemkv does rip but I don't know if it rips bluray and I don't know how current it is for decryption versus the other programs built just for ripping.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. That worked, thanks. I just had to first create an image with ImgBurn and mount it to my virtual BR drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to help.

    You may want to check closer in makemkv. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a folder read option instead of disc only option. That would save a step or two.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Now you tell me! :P

    Lol, you are indeed correct, wish I had thought to look beforehand. At least I discovered ImgBurn, which might come in handy.

    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
    Now you tell me! :P

    Lol, you are indeed correct, wish I had thought to look beforehand. At least I discovered ImgBurn, which might come in handy.

    Thanks again.
    Actually I've only used it a few times so I don't know it very well. But reading folders is a very common feature for conversion programs and authoring programs.

    You should use imgburn most of the time for burning discs. It is well respected here on this forum and will serve you well
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff. Are there any guides anywhere as to how to do this? Would I be able to do this with MKVToolNix?!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    In reply ot the last post on thos old thread.

    I have transferred my entire DVD and Blu Ray disc collection directly to hard drive using MakeMKV, it reads from disc or existing folders. It is very simple to use. MKVToolNix is a program for adding or removing files from existing MKV files. So after using MakeMKV you discovered you had accidentally left in many additional languages or subtitles MKVToolNix can remove them. So no you can't rip from disc with MKVToolNix
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 7 Ultimate, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    In reply ot the last post on thos old thread.

    I have transferred my entire DVD and Blu Ray disc collection directly to hard drive using MakeMKV, it reads from disc or existing folders. It is very simple to use. MKVToolNix is a program for adding or removing files from existing MKV files. So after using MakeMKV you discovered you had accidentally left in many additional languages or subtitles MKVToolNix can remove them. So no you can't rip from disc with MKVToolNix
    I did come across MakeMKV in another thread, but it isn't freeware :/ (which, I guess, is good in the sense that it's probably not packed with malware, but no so good for the wallet). Did you buy the program?

    Thanks for the info!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV is freeware.
    It's been in Beta for a long time....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    MakeMKV is freeware.
    It's been in Beta for a long time....
    Yeah, I just got it working. However, apparently it's free only until March of this year, so less than a month now. Somebody said something about VidCoder, so I'm going to take a look at too.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    No it's free! You just have to re register every 3 months I think it is, a new key is openly published. The really big advantage of MakeMKV is it doesn't re-encode and it is uber fast, minutes against hours for Vidcoder or Handbrake. The downside for some people with limited storage is it doesn't shrink the size. Size in = size out (less any elements you have left out) I used it that way for years until I decided to buy it. Good investment
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 7 Ultimate, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  13. You don't even have to make an image first. You can have MakeMKV open the "index.bdmv" file in the folder which should allow it to mount and convert to .mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    No it's free! You just have to re register every 3 months I think it is, a new key is openly published. The really big advantage of MakeMKV is it doesn't re-encode and it is uber fast, minutes against hours for Vidcoder or Handbrake. The downside for some people with limited storage is it doesn't shrink the size. Size in = size out (less any elements you have left out) I used it that way for years until I decided to buy it. Good investment
    So then it basically "repackages" the file similar to what you can do with ffmpeg?

    The quality of the video that I tried it on was really bad for some reason :/
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by stonesfan99 View Post
    You don't even have to make an image first. You can have MakeMKV open the "index.bdmv" file in the folder which should allow it to mount and convert to .mkv.
    I did it with the MovieObject.bdmv. What's the difference between index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    You appear to be making the process far more complicated than it really is - all MakeMKV does is wrap the selected video title from within the Blu Ray as a MKV file. It doesn't re-encode so it cant affect the quality in anyway. If you apparently got a different quality then maybe on the Blu Ray disc there are several versions of the same title in different quality? Who knows ? It really is a one stop process - run MakeMKV, put the DVD or Blue ray disc and press go, then up comes the various titles on the disc, untick what you don't want and away you go. Basically in the case of a BD just select index.bdmv and that will bring up all the titles on the disc. Read the docs, go to the MakeMKV web page or take a look at these https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MakeMKV&page=&utm_source=opensearch
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 7 Ultimate, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    You appear to be making the process far more complicated than it really is - all MakeMKV does is wrap the selected video title from within the Blu Ray as a MKV file. It doesn't re-encode so it cant affect the quality in anyway. If you apparently got a different quality then maybe on the Blu Ray disc there are several versions of the same title in different quality? Who knows ? It really is a one stop process - run MakeMKV, put the DVD or Blue ray disc and press go, then up comes the various titles on the disc, untick what you don't want and away you go. Basically in the case of a BD just select index.bdmv and that will bring up all the titles on the disc. Read the docs, go to the MakeMKV web page or take a look at these https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MakeMKV&page=&utm_source=opensearch
    It just rewraps the file, that's what I thought.

    I figured out I can do the same exact same thing with MKVToolNix too, so MakeMKV isn't even necessary.

    I'm still curious as to what's the difference between the MovieObject and index file?!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 7 Ultimate, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads