VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I have to decide which of these full-frame TBCs I should buy.

1) Datavideo TBC-1000
    2) Tvone 1T-TBC-GL

I'll use them mainly to capture old VHS (I have a Panasonic NV FS 200 VCR and I'm buying a Canopus ADVC 110 for capturing).
    Important: These TBC both remove Macrovision, or not?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. yes they should remove.

I would go for the TV-one, it has nice picture adjustments that can be useful, I believe their TBC ability is similiar, but the TV one is not as well made.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. The DataVideo TBC is much, MUCH better made than the laughably flimsy TVone/AVT, but it costs much more. They're equally effective for VHS transfers, the extra image controls on the TVone/AVT are nice to have but fiddly to operate. Be aware that no TBC is 100% effective at removing MacroVision: they work MOST of the time, but I have occasionally experienced momentary glitches with the DataVideo, TVone/AVT, and older professional TBCs that allow MV to get thru. It happens rarely, but it does happen. Whether it will be a problem for you depends how sensitive your capture card or DVD recorder is to brief bleedthrough of MV: some don't react at all, others stop recording completely, while others will insert a very short pause and then resume. It's a good idea to monitor the the progress of any digital transfer made from protected VHS sources, or review them immediately after unattended dubbing, to check for issues.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nikgelfi. Panasonic FS200 has the internal TBC, so for what reason you need more TBCs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    The DataVideo TBC is much, MUCH better made than the laughably flimsy TVone/AVT, but it costs much more. They're equally effective for VHS transfers, the extra image controls on the TVone/AVT are nice to have but fiddly to operate. Be aware that no TBC is 100% effective at removing MacroVision: they work MOST of the time, but I have occasionally experienced momentary glitches with the DataVideo, TVone/AVT, and older professional TBCs that allow MV to get thru. It happens rarely, but it does happen. Whether it will be a problem for you depends how sensitive your capture card or DVD recorder is to brief bleedthrough of MV: some don't react at all, others stop recording completely, while others will insert a very short pause and then resume. It's a good idea to monitor the the progress of any digital transfer made from protected VHS sources, or review them immediately after unattended dubbing, to check for issues.
    Thanks for your reply. The cost, at least here in Italy, is the same for the Datavideo TBC-1000 and the TVone that I mentioned above. As for the capture card, I intend to use a Canopus ADVC 110. Do you think that I'll experience macrovision problems?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Computer capture is a little more sensitive to MV issues than standalone DVD recorders, but using an external TBC like DataVideo or TVone should fix this for you 90-95%. I mentioned the possibility of occasional TBC failure only because new users sometimes expect a TBC to be a "cure all", and panic when it doesn't work with a particular tape. Most tapes with MV protection will be cleared 100% using an external TBC, you may run into perhaps 1 in 20 that has a slight problem. If there is a bleedthrough, it is usually momentary, and you can repair it after dubbing by editing the bad spot out on the PC. Chances are, if you dub that section of the tape a second time it will capture just fine, and you can splice the two dubs together to make one "perfect" recording. Odds are you will never have to worry about it, but there are a handful of commercial tapes from 15-20 years ago that have especially strong nasty MV that is hard to clear completely. You may need to experiment with switching the internal TBC of the VCR on or off when using the external TBC. Two TBCs running simultaneously sometimes interact, causing unwanted image artifacts. Check what looks best for each tape: both TBCs on, or the VCR TBC turned off.

If you can get the DataVideo for the same price as the TVone, I'd recommend the DataVideo. Its the size of five VHS tapes stacked together, made entirely of metal, has sturdy connectors, dissipates heat well, and is heavy enough not to move or fall off a table unexpectedly. Nothing wrong with the TVone, its a very popular TBC, but not as well made (size of a cigarette case, lightweight, prone to overheating, connections prone to wear or damage). In North America the TVone is sold as AVT8710, and sells for about $200 US vs $495 US for the DataVideo. That is a big price difference, so many users here opt for the cheaper TVone/AVT. It works well and is decently made for the price, but if they are the same price in Italy the DataVideo is a better long-term investment and would be easier to resell on global eBay when you are done with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 1T-TBC is not the same as the AVT-8710/CTB-100.

Here's a TBC FAQ: What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes
    Read that.

There's also this: AVT-8710 vs 1T-TBC vs TBC-1000 (TBC-100)
    Very detailed analysis.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. AHA! I always thought the TV-One seemed somehow suspicious, now we know why. It isn't exactly the same as the AVT8710, its just "based on it". With that clarification from LS, more than ever I'd say go for the TBC-1000, especially at comparable pricing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I went the cheap route: DataVideo TBC-100 (PC model - PCI slot with PSU connection) installed in a drive enclosure.

The TBC-100 was $50 on ebay, the enclosure was $25 on newegg.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    AHA! I always thought the TV-One seemed somehow suspicious, now we know why. It isn't exactly the same as the AVT8710, its just "based on it". With that clarification from LS, more than ever I'd say go for the TBC-1000, especially at comparable pricing.
    Thanks a lot to all of you!
    I think I'll go for the TBC-1000 then!
    Quote Quote