VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I want to replace the power supply (PSU) of my Dell Dimension 8200 desktop. When I try to unplug the P1 cable of the old PSU (it has been in use and never unplugged for 9 years) it is so stiff that I'm not only unable to unplug it but also when trying to do so it's so stiffly attached to the mobo socket (the main one in the mobo) that in trying to do so the mobo bends and I'm afraid of breaking it. Any suggestions to loosen it? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could wedge a flat tip screwdriver between the PSU's Molex and the Mobo's Molex and wiggle it a bit.

Ya need to be careful to not loose your grip, or accidentally scratch traces on the mobo, or jab a capacitor, and so on.

It's risky, but it's an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Joe, yes I tried that before, but I was unable to loosen it. When wiggling the screwdriver I couldn't move the socket a bit, and applying more force on it only resulted in minor scratches on the socket's plastic, so I decided to stop it for risk of damaging nearby mobo capacitors, the mobo itself, etc. Thanks anyway for your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably obvious, but are you sure you fully released the catch that holds the plug to the MB socket? If it is truly all that tight, the socket or pins themselves may have been damaged by overheating.

Probably the safest thing to do is to remove the motherboard so you have a stable work surface to try to extract the plug. Pulling on the MB isn't a good idea when it's mounted in the case as it's fairly easy to crack a MB, especially one that old.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi redwudz, yes of course I released the holding catch before attempting the unplugging. The PC is working fine, so I don't think that the pins might have been damaged. What I think is happening here is that because of permanent normal operating heat acting for 9 years the metal pins inside might have expanded a bit and that is causing the plug to be stuck inside the socket. I might try holding the lower P1 mobo socket with a pincer while trying to unplug the PSU's plug from it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I have done is take the motherboard and PS out of the case so I can get a good look at the connector.
    Then I stuck a small screwdriver under the clip and move it off the tab. Then the connctor comes off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. When I trying to replace my psu from one place to and another then we face the networking problem and the connector comes off.
    Quote Quote  
  8. sorry for duplicate post
    Last edited by markwaugh; 11th Apr 2011 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alegator View Post
    What I think is happening here is that because of permanent normal operating heat acting for 9 years the metal pins inside might have expanded a bit and that is causing the plug to be stuck inside the socket.
    Metal doesn't permanently expand from heat.
    Plastic though gets less flexible (and more brittle) as it ages.

You could try squirting some lubricant, like WD40, on the connection, leave it to seep into the socket for a while. That might help it to slip out.

Of course, don't power it on again until you've taken the plug out and wiped it all off.
    Quote Quote