VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, can somebody please tell me why when trying to create a video disc, it expands the origing avi file? EG. 3.9GB of actual video expands to 21.52GB? My dad used to use DVD Movie Factory 2SE and it did not do this. This is kind of annoying. Wondering if there is something that can be set so that this can be achieved? So 3.9GB will actually fit on a regular DVD 4.7G? 3.9GB is 20 .avi videos which are 20min each. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome orientaldragon

You simply cannot achieve fitting "400 minutes" to a single dvd, dvd dl for that matter ... even if possible the quality would be rubbish.

Break it down into 120 minute segments and use multiple dvd-r's.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can easily fit 400 minutes on a DVD. All you have to do is use the right bitrate, about 1350 kbps. With that low a bitrate you will want to use a 352x240 frame size (or 352x288 PAL). Unless it's a slideshow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for future reference, corel/ulead also have their own help forums
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Welcome orientaldragon

You simply cannot achieve fitting "400 minutes" to a single dvd, dvd dl for that matter ... even if possible the quality would be rubbish.

Break it down into 120 minute segments and use multiple dvd-r's.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can do that, but I wanted to know the reason why every file is expanded to be bigger in this version of DVD MovieFactory. Older version 2.0SE does not do this. 3.9GB is 3.9GB not 21.5GB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    for future reference, corel/ulead also have their own help forums
    Oops...
    Last edited by orientaldragon; 2nd Apr 2011 at 00:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can easily fit 400 minutes on a DVD. All you have to do is use the right bitrate, about 1350 kbps. With that low a bitrate you will want to use a 352x240 frame size (or 352x288 PAL). Unless it's a slideshow.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can do that, but I wanted to know the reason why every file is expanded to be bigger in this version of DVD MovieFactory. Older version 2.0SE does not do this. 3.9GB is 3.9GB not 21.5GB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by orientaldragon View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can easily fit 400 minutes on a DVD. All you have to do is use the right bitrate, about 1350 kbps. With that low a bitrate you will want to use a 352x240 frame size (or 352x288 PAL). Unless it's a slideshow.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can do that, but I wanted to know the reason why every file is expanded to be bigger in this version of DVD MovieFactory. Older version 2.0SE does not do this. 3.9GB is 3.9GB not 21.5GB
    You used a fixed bitrate template, not a template that adjusts the bitrate to the full running time of all the videos.

file size = bitrate * running time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And your dad probably used a dvd-compliant mpeg2 file which meant that DVD movie factory did not re-encode the source clip ie the size remained the same.

But I am equally sure that he did not try to put 400 minutes on to one dvd disk unless, as has been stated he was using a small frame size. Small frame sizes may have looked passable on older small size tvs. They will not look very good on today's big screens.
    Quote Quote