VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought a 42" HDTV and decided to connect my DVP-3140 to it until I can afford something better. A few days later I updated the firmware in it so I don't know if the problem existed or not with the old firmware. When I play a DivX or Xvid file that is 720 pixels wide, it looks like a lower resolution than 640 wide. The edges of diagonal lines are jagged and it looks blurry. I played around with encoder settings and discovered something very odd. If I only encode a few minutes of the video or if I do it without sound, it looks like it should. Is there something that the player does differently at higher resolutions that would cause this? Could the new firmware be the reason? I'm out of ideas here. I included a couple of captures. The first one shows the issue. The second one is the way it should look. I can't see any difference at all on the computer, just on the player.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_20110324_223338.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	6164  

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_20110325_001426.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	6165  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've done some experimenting over the last couple of days and I know a little bit more. If the movie has sound and is longer than 45 minutes, the resolution has to be less than ~256k pixels. Videos at 640x400, 720x352 and even 672x368 are OK. I'm not sure that 256k pixels is the exact number but after hours of encoding and testing, it's the closest number that makes sense. Does 256k pixels mean anything in the video world?
    Quote Quote  
  3. According to Phillips' website the DVP-3140 is DivX Home Theater Profile certified, so it should have no problem playing DivX files with resolutions of up to 720x576(PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try lowering the bitrate. I have seen high bitrates cause issues in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried raising and lowering the video bitrate and different audio codecs and bitrates. The only way to get them to look right is to lower the resolution, shorten the video, or remove the audio. Maybe Phillips did this intentionally. Maybe post-processing is disabled under these conditions tp help prevent stuttering. Does anyone else have a DVP3140 and an HDTV that can confirm this issue?
    Last edited by chris1379; 30th Mar 2011 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What encoder are you using to create the DivX/Xvid files?

Can you open both of the videos in Mediainfo, click on View>Text, and copy/paste the details here. It might be possible to spot a difference between the files.

Did you create the example captures by pointing a camera at your TV screen? I can see a glitch along the left side of the frame; is this visible throughout the videos? Is it also visible when playing the videos on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, the glitch you see is from my WinTV card. I used the composite input to get the screens. That doesn't happen with the TV.
    Here are the Mediainfo files. The first one is video only produced by using Staxrip. The second one is simply muxing the same video file with the audio file in Vdub. I originally encoded it with video and audio in Staxrip but accidentally overwrote it. The third Mediainfo file is from a 44 minute rip which plays fine. I have tried using AutoGK and even the DivX Plus Converter with the same results.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, this problem is triggered by quite a few seemingly unrelated factors. The only thing I can suggest is to keep trying different encoding options.

Looking at the mediainfo details, there's a difference between the two files with audio; the 44min file uses a variable bit rate (VBR) for the audio instead of CBR, and is 'Aligned on interleaves' instead of 'Split accross interleaves'.
    The writing library is also different LAME3.98.2 vs LAME3.98r.

Does the 44min video play ok? The video bitrate is rather low (858Kbit/s). What if you leave all options the same except bump up the video bitrate?

Additionally, this site suggests VBR audio streams can be problematic with AVI files:
    http://www.fixya.com/support/r4218500-successful_vbr_audio_conversion_avis
    It also comments on the 'Aligned on interleaves' setting.

Also, I can see a problem with the aspect ratio/image proportions - but I'm not sure if this is caused by your WinTV card:
    - Mediainfo reports the display aspect ratio as 16:9; if I take the images you uploaded and convert them to a resolution of 640x360 (16:9 -square pixels) the castle is distorted and the sides are missing when compared to this reference image, which I believe is accurate*:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	disney_castle_01.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	6252
    *I tried to pause the video at the same place as the second image you uploaded.

The resolution of the files (720x400), is close to a 16:9 picture with 'square pixels' - as opposed to an anamorphic 720x480 picture with non square pixels. I'm guessing that the videos have been converted from a DVD.
    Converting videos to use square pixels is recommended - so the res. you're using should be ok.

Finally, have you tried:
    - Using a different encoder?
    - Downloading any DivX videos/trailers from the web to see if they show the same problem?
    - Converting the audio sampling rate to 44100Hz
    - Try forcing CBR - constant bit rate

Other than that, I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd try remuxing the video files without any audio. That will eliminate audio as a variable. I've played up to about 20 Mb/s CBR Xvid AVI files (720x480x24p, 4:3 and 16:9 DAR, from a flash drive) on my Philips DVP-5990 without any problems. The older Philips players had more limitations. The older the player, the more the limitations.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just a stab in the dark here, but could you check the "Max consecutive B-VOPs" setting in XviD.

Some DivX players only support a maximum of 1.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried so many different options Ive almost lost track. I have tried different bitrates, which doesn't make a difference. I tried CBR audio and AC3 audio. The file with no audio at all plays perfectly. My first attempt at encoding the whole movie had all the same settings as the 44min file and showed the problem. I've tried some downloads from the web that are movie length and the ones at higher resolutions have the problem. Trailers are fine. Some have a "Max consecutive B-VOPs" of 1 and others at 2. Doesn't make a difference.

Here are some things I haven't tried:

Converting the audio to 44100Hz.
    Encoding at 720x480 with a 16:9 DAR
    Using unpacked bitstream

Intracube, I believe your image is 16:9 with black bars top and bottom. The movie mine is from is 16:9 but has no black bars. The ones in my screen are from the player/capture card combination.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Quote Quote