VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. I have basic video editing skills with Windows Movie Maker, and I'm starting to learn how to use Audacity.

I have a DVD that I am having difficulty ripping. When I play the DVD on any computer or DVD player, it plays perfectly normal. On the other hand, when I try to rip video clips from the DVD, the video clips have three problems:

1. Audio skipping
    2. Audio goes in and out of sync w/ video
    3. Audio goes out or is missing for a second, several times through out video.

Here is a link to a video that I uploaded that shows an example of the problem that I am having: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFib-_Th_hw

I use AoA DVD ripper and normally rip my DVD's in .avi format (DivX or Xvid codec), with no problems. I have a friend who has the same DVD, so when I tried to rip their copy of the DVD, I had the same problem (both on mine and their computer).

I tried ripping the DVD in .wmv format but the same thing happened again. For some reason when I try to rip the DVD (or any other DVD) in MPEG 1 or MPEG 2 format, the computer freezes and I get a message that the DVD ripper program needs to close. I want to rip the DVD in a format that can be played in windows media player 11 and is usable in windows movie maker 2.6.

I also made sure everything was up to date.

It was suggested to me that the DVD might be a hybrid DVD and to use Avisynth to fix this. But how, or is it the format or DVD ripper settings that I'm using?

I found a few guides online for fixing audio sync problems, but they do not address the sound skipping or missing audio problem and there are for formats that I can't rip in such as mkv.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should use anydvd or dvdfab hd decrypter to rip the dvds. Those are the two most reliable rippers there are for pc. After ripping, you should use another freeware to convert to avi or wmv format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla View Post
    You should use anydvd or dvdfab hd decrypter to rip the dvds. Those are the two most reliable rippers there are for pc. After ripping, you should use another freeware to convert to avi or wmv format.
    Thanks, tried a few other dvd rippers (including dvdfab decrypter) but they didn't help. I guess I just have a badly made DVD.

Thanks for responding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Once again....a DVD "rip" is an exact copy of the DVD. What you are doing is re-encoding the DVD content to xvid or wmv.....which often introduces sync errors into the final product. "Rip" the disc with DVDFabDecrypter (HD Decrypter - bottom option on the program) to your "HD"(HDD - Hard Disc Drive - Hard Drive)....then work from there.
    Quote Quote