VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bought my first VCR in 1985. Working two jobs to support the family, I recorded on VHS the things on broadcast TV I wanted to watch, but did not have time to do so then. Now HUGE collection of tapes after 25 years. Watching some of them now and transferring them to DVD for later viewing to reduce storage space. I have Sony VRD-MC3 and a Presidian DVD recorder. The Presidian will tolerate poorer video quality than will the Sony and I use it for those tapes. Hope that answers some of the questions that may arise.
    As you know, once a DVD-R/+R is started on a recorder, it will not load on a different machine until it is finalized. I have a DVD-R that was started on the Presidian, not finalized, and inadvertently inserted it into the Sony for further recording. The Sony obviously rejected the disc, but apparently changed the formatting somehow so that the Presidian does not now accept it either. My computer will not load it. I have found no way to finalize it (so it can be played) or to record further on it.
    Any help for this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try reading it with an .ISO reader (ISO Buster, Magic ISO, WinISO, etc). These should be able to grab the files off the disk.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a stab in the dark, but does either the Sony or Presidian have in their settings a "Make Recordings Compatible" option? If you turn that on for the recorder, then the recorder SHOULD be able to "take back" ownership of the disc to allow it to be finalized by that recorder. You may need to record another small title again on the recorder for the recorder to "own" it. Then you should be able to finalize it. I'd try the Presidian first as it originated there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the free IsoBuster. My present situation does not justify the $30.00 purchase of a program about which I know little. It appears to capture the files on the DVD and save them as .IBP. They are considerably fewer GB than the original disc. But I have found no way to burn them onto a disc. Does the $30.00 get the burning capability? The free version is supposed to produce what results?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
    I downloaded the free IsoBuster. My present situation does not justify the $30.00 purchase of a program about which I know little. It appears to capture the files on the DVD and save them as .IBP. They are considerably fewer GB than the original disc. But I have found no way to burn them onto a disc. Does the $30.00 get the burning capability? The free version is supposed to produce what results?
    Maybe this thread will help. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/310357-Unplayable-DVD-because-it-wasn-t-finalized-p...750&viewfull=1 There is a link for the basics of using ISOBuster for this in the first reply, and more info that may help with salvaging content from discs containing multiple tracks.
    Quote Quote