VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. IE9 in no way uses any FF add-ons. Have you checked your IE plugins to see if something there may be causing an issue? Open the Start menu and in the search box type Internet Explorer. You should have a few options come up and one will be Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) which will start IE with no add-ons enabled. If it works fine there, then something in your IE add-ons is causing an issue.
    Last edited by Poppa_Meth; 27th Mar 2011 at 19:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Another things of interest concerning hardware acceleration between IE9, Firefox 4, and Chrome.

I'm running Win7 HP x64 on a core i3 550 right now and using a Zotac GeForce 430 GT. I've used the MS Fish Tank test to see how well hardware acceleration is working in all three browsers. IE9 and FF4 both look about even. I'm getting maxed FPS (test only handles 60) until I get 1000 fish going at once. At this point, both browsers drop to the mid to upper 40s. Chrome on the other hand drop into the 50s at 500 fish and as low as the 20s with 1000 fish going. I guess Chrome needs more work on it's hardware acceleration.

To make sure HW Acceleration is enabled in IE9, open Internet Options, go the the Advanced Tab and in the Accelerated Graphics section make sure the Use Software Rendering box is NOT checked.

For Firefox, HW acceleration should be enabled by default where available. Type about:support in the address bar and press enter. Scroll the the bottom for the graphics section. Look for GPU Accelerated Windows. 1/1 means it's enabled. 0/1 is not enabled. In Firefox Options go to Advanced>General and the browsing section for the option to enable/disable acceleration.

In Chrome you type chrome://flags in the address bar and press enter to see your options. Enable both GPU Accelerated Compositing and GPU Accelerated Canvasing 2D.

Also note that the newest drivers for your video card should be installed for best support of hardware acceleration.

Test your setup with one of the following sites.
    http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/FishIETank/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reverted back to Firefox 3.6 where everything works just fine. I'll wait until the plugin guys upgrade their plugins to work with FF4 before upgrading. They've had eight months to upgrade them so I doubt they will. I have a feeling I'll be using 3.6 for a while.

The link for the Tabkiller plugin for 3.6 doesn't work either so I had to find a download in my backups folder that worked.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    IE9 in on way uses any FF add-ons. Have you checked your IE plugins to see if something there may be causing an issue? Open the Start menu and in the search box type Internet Explorer. You should have a few options come up and one will be Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) which will start IE with no add-ons enabled. If it works fine there, then something in your IE add-ons is causing an issue.
    Then I misspoke with regards to Firefox, but IE9 did list them as add-ons, and I installed them for use with Firefox, since I was using that as my primary browser at the time. When I compared the two, the items shown in IE9's "Add-ons" list are found in Firefox's "Plug-ins" list instead.

With no "add-ons" enabled IE9 seems to be working OK now. I guess now I have to enable them again one at a time to see which one is is responsible for the problem.

[Edit] I enabled only one "Add-on" at a time, and still had a problem, no matter which one I tried. After that even with all of the "Add-ons" disabled again, mouse left-click didn't always register in the reply text box. Something is screwed up, but I'm not wasting any more time on a program I don't need to use very often. Maybe an update from MS will fix the problem. I'd suspect it was the mouse, if it wasn't working fine everywhere else.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Mar 2011 at 19:23. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looking at my IE9 Plugins the only things listed in both IE and Firefox are the plugins installed for all browsers. These are things like Adobe, Avast, and Java plugins. These are not actual Firefox Plugins but system wide plugins.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at my IE9 Plugins the only things listed in both IE and Firefox are the plugins installed for all browsers. These are things like Adobe, Avast, and Java plugins. These are not actual Firefox Plugins but system wide plugins.
    For what it's worth, "recipefox" was the Firefox plugin that I thought was causing the problem, but MasterCook Web Import was what IE showed. Perhaps there is some interdependency between recipefox and the similar tool made for IE. I don't recall installing anything for IE. "recipefox" doesn't work with Firefox4, so not having the related part would be no great loss, but it appears the problem doesn't lie there anyway.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Mar 2011 at 19:53.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could just be the localization determining the message. I noticed you are in England and we are getting the other message in the US.
    Could also be platform related - Windows/Linux.
    EDIT: you might be right. These links show the 'dragons' warning on Windows machines:
    http://www.vertical-leap.co.uk/blog/get-ready-for-firefox-4/
    http://chafflube.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/auto-complete-search-on-firefox-just-like-on...rnet-explorer/
    A common factor is the owners of both sites live outside the USA. One from the UK, the other Australia.

Another things of interest concerning hardware acceleration between IE9, Firefox 4, and Chrome.

Test your setup with one of the following sites.
    http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/FishIETank/
    I'm getting 0/1 on the Firefox info page. From looking at other peoples comments, it doesn't look like hardware acceleration is supported for Firefox/Linux at all.

I'm getting 7 fps with the Mozilla demo, and my CPU is being thrashed. Similar results for the fish tank:
    Window resolution: 1156x942
    1 fish = 25fps
    10 fish = 16fps
    20 fish = 14fps
    50 fish = 7fps

Last edited by intracube; 27th Mar 2011 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Firefox appears to still be single threaded. With one FF4 window open and 500 fish I get 60 fps and 25 percent CPU usage (on a quad core Q6600 CPU and NVIDIA GTX460). No matter how many FF4 windows I have open I get the same total fps (ie, adding the fps of each instance) and the same 25 percent CPU usage. For example, with three windows I get 20 fps in each window and 25 percent CPU usage.

With IE9 I get about the same as FF4 with a single Window, 60 fps, 25 percent CPU. But with additional windows each gets 60 fps and CPU usage increases linearly. Until I have four windows open and then things start to slow down a bit. For example, with three windows each shows 60 fps and CPU usage is 75 percent.

Does anyone know if multithreading can be enabled in Firefox 4? Googling a bit shows a lot of talk about Firefox getting multithreading shortly -- for the last five years!
    Quote Quote  
  9. http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/hardware-acceleration/

Looks like there is linux support to some degree. I'm just getting started in the Linux world so I can't say much about it yet, but are you using community graphics drivers or proprietary? Proprietary drivers may be needed to enable support. The only linux install I currently have is a fresh new Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop which has intel graphics so I may not be able to test there. I also have an older install of Mint on an old P4 desktop that hasn't been updated in a while, but it's using an older AGP ATI card, so hardware acceleration probably isn't supported there either.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/hardware-acceleration/

Looks like there is linux support to some degree.
    Yup, I spotted that page earlier thanks. Although the table mentions Linux and XRender/OpenGL, another site (can't remember which) said that Firefox needed to be specially compiled with hardware acceleration enabled*. There were additional comments saying that Firefox was then unstable/crash prone. So it looks like early days.

*EDIT: found the page:
    http://blog.mozilla.com/joe/2010/09/15/so-you-want-to-help-us-with-hardware-acceleration/

Also, a lot of these pages are from last year - I haven't seen any recent updates on the situation.

EDIT2: Contradictory information on a number of sites, for example:
    http://www.unclewidget.com/2011/03/firefox-4-debuts%C2%A0the-last-kitchen-sink-release/
    - 'hardware acceleration on all platforms'

http://techie-buzz.com/browsers/firefox-4.html
    - 'hardware acceleration is currently not supported in Linux'

I'm just getting started in the Linux world so I can't say much about it yet, but are you using community graphics drivers or proprietary? Proprietary drivers may be needed to enable support.
    I'm using Nvidia's proprietary drivers.
    Last edited by intracube; 27th Mar 2011 at 23:21.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I checked my laptop and as expected my onboard Intel chip can't handle hardware acceleration. I'll check out the Mint install the next chance I get.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Also tried to install FF4 on an iBook G4 - didn't get far, as Firefox has dropped support for PowerPC based systems.
    http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Fixed. Its kind of jerk move on their part to still support 10.5 but drop PPC support.

Does anyone know if Firefox 4 can be run on Windows Vista/7 WITHOUT ClearType font smoothing? I have ClearType disabled on my machine, but IE9 renders everything with it regardless, wondering if FF4 will do the same (render fonts like under XP). Its the only thing holding me back from upgrading.
    Last edited by NJRoadfan; 29th Mar 2011 at 00:24.
    Quote Quote  
  13. There is an add-on for Firefox called Anti-aliasing Tuner that lets you adjust how Firefox behaves with the new hardware acceleration. A lot of people were complaining about how it rendered the fonts and this helps fix it up.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Does anyone why GOOGLE search bar is not working in FF4 pls? many thx

(Was working in FF3)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Google search bar is working for me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I like it so far but it really pisses me off when they change stupid little things that do NOT need to be changed!!

[Attachment 6176 - Click to enlarge]

They swapped the position of "open link in new tab" & "open link in new window"

What really makes it better by changing that ??
    Besides annoying me ?

I am used to just clicking without even really looking and i keep hitting the 2nd one down and opening new windows instead of new a tab
    I'm doing the same, I keep opening new windows instead of New Tabs! Grrrr....
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Also tried to install FF4 on an iBook G4 - didn't get far, as Firefox has dropped support for PowerPC based systems.
    http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Fixed. Its kind of jerk move on their part to still support 10.5 but drop PPC support.
    To complicate matters, Adobe isn't supporting Flash for PPC from version 10.2.

I haven't found any decent Flash alternatives. Gnash is another SWF player:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnash
    but support for macs doesn't look good.

This isn't a major issue for me - the only Mac computer here is my mum's old IBook, which is overdue for replacement.

But it's got to be annoying for Power Mac G5 owners...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have GPU accelerated windows 1/1 on my Windows, but 0/1 on my Linux system (dual boot). What does it depend on?
    I've got acceleration enabled in the preferences/advanced general tab.

FF4 is growing on me. I find it faster, and more intuitive. I like the history/restore previous session.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Does the Google Bar work on the new Firefox 4 ? I have my Bookmarks saved on the Google Tool Bar in case my computer crashes. I find that option really convenient and I have it installed on my laptop so I have easy access to them know matter what computer I'm working on.

TC
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried to bookmark a few new pages tonight and none of them would save to my general bookmarks.

But when i saved them to a specific folder instead of just general bookmarks, they would save.

And i have the google search bar, but no matter where i look i can't find anywhere to uninstall it!!!

Are we sure this is still not in the BETA stage ?
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just to be clear, my earlier report about Google search related only to the regular search on the Navigation toolbar, not the separate Google Toolbar. I don't use the Google Toolbar.
    Quote Quote  
  22. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I gave FF4 a fair try but went back to 3.6. Too many problems and I don't like the new look or design. I expect to stay with 3.6 forever...else, might try a different browser. Already tried Chrome and nixed it, so maybe something else. Definitely not IE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, shortly after my first post in this thread, I simultaneously installed both FF4 and Seamonkey 2.0.13 on my Linux setup. Both work fine, except for odd behavior with one site - VideoHelp's front page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen01t.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	6223

For some reason, I get an inexplicable large block of white space on that page, the block of text on the right becomes a long vertical strip... and it displays horizontally wider than the screen, no matter if I set the site width to default, 100%, etc. It does this on both FF4 and SM 2.0.13, though it didn't do it on any earlier versions of either browser I had on the system. Any ideas?

I'm planning on sticking with FF 3.6 on my main (Windows) system for now, however.

Edit: forgot to mention that FF4 also claimed it imported my bookmarks successfully, but the only bookmarks present when I opened FF4 were the stock/default bookmarks. As I'm only testing FF4, that wasn't as big an issue for me as it probably ought to be.
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 31st Mar 2011 at 01:10.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Greasemonkey script for YouTube HD Suite has been updated for FF4. Now if the Tabkiller plugin would get updated, I'd reinstall it. I'm running the portable version right now. It is so much faster than FF 3.6 and IE but every time I go to open a page in a new window, I end up opening a new tab, even though I have tabbed browsing turned off.

I'll use the portable version to download large files and use 3.6 to browse with. My download speeds today with 3.6 and IE were under 10 mbps and as high as 19 mbps with FF4. What is weird is my download speeds in IE used to be around 20 mbps. I don't know what has happened to kill my download speeds in IE and FF 3.6.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I'm back in business. I found a userstyle that was supposed to move the "open in new window" option to the top to keep me from clicking on the wrong menu button but it looks like it has gotten rid of the "open in new tab" option completely. No need for the Tabkiller addon now.

http://userstyles.org/styles/45564
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    The Greasemonkey script for YouTube HD Suite has been updated for FF4. Now if the Tabkiller plugin would get updated, I'd reinstall it. I'm running the portable version right now. It is so much faster than FF 3.6 and IE but every time I go to open a page in a new window, I end up opening a new tab, even though I have tabbed browsing turned off.
    This is an alternative to the YouseableTubeFix Greasemonkey script ?

Didn't someone else in this thread report the opposite problem: wanted tabs, not new windows, but kept opening the latter ? So which is it ?

(Personally, I became a real convert to tabbed browsing with v. 3 of FF, even though I greatly doubted that I would, initially. It's nice to be able to see a lineup of everything you have open.)

Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I'll use the portable version to download large files and use 3.6 to browse with.
    Sounds like you are not finding portable v. 4 to be running sluggishly, as was reported elsewhere in this thread. Or maybe that was just the initial loading . . . . I would think that which cpu one has, and the program's config would play a major role here.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 31st Mar 2011 at 13:44.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The YouTube HD Suite script allows FF to automatically play the highest quality video (a must when using RMC to record videos since it records the video that opens and if it's the low quality video then that's what you get, there's no way to get it to record the higher quality video). It shows what sizes the video is in at the top of the page and it show what the highest size video is when you search. Another problem that I was having with FF4 was that it was giving the recorded files from RMC and Youtube generic file names. So far it is giving them the right names for me but my brother is still getting the generic file names. Not sure what FF did to break the file names in FF4 but that is why my friend refuses to use it. He preferrs IE 8 since it doesn't muck up the file names.

I was looking to get rid of tabbed browsing completely but would've settled for being able to move the "open in new window" to the top like someone else wanted. I'll try and find the page that led me to my fix and see if they found one but I have a feeling that they didn't cause everyone was still cussing FF for changing it. On my brother's copy of FF4, it did move the "open in new window" to the top and left "open in new tab" right below it so it might work for others who want it that way. I was just lucky that it got rid of it completely for me. Don't know how long that will last though.

To me, tabbed browsing makes absolutely no sense at all. All they do is take up space on the page and confuse the hell out of me. I like all the real estate I can get on my page which is why I have everything on a single toolbar. I like having all my pages open in a window and minimized to the windows toolbar at the bottom where they always were before everyone decided to change the way that browsers looked. I have IE7 Pro installed and use it for certain sites. I can get rid of most of the crap that I don't want and am able to have my links bar. I can't get rid of the "open in new tab" but if I hit it by accident, it's no big deal since it opens in a new page anyway. I will not install IE 8 and since I won't upgrade to Windows 7 then I won't be trying IE9 either.

The sluggish part of the portable FF4 was just starting the program up since it had to load from a thumb drive or external drive. Once it's loaded, browsing itself seems to be about the same.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FF4-1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	6251  

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed FF4 on my friend's Windows 7 machine and it was all screwed up. There were no toolbars or buttons to click. All it had was one tab with no way to customize it to get the toolbars and buttons. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Same thing. I'm taking the portable version over today and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How many are running Firefox in Windows 7, 64 bit mode?
    Quote Quote  
  30. I run Firefox on a 64 bit Win7 system. It's runs exactly the same as Firefox on my 32 bit XP systems.
    Quote Quote