VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

This isn't really about editing/converting, but it doesn't look like it should fit into the "General" forum.

A simple question:

Are the surround mixes used theatrically the same as those used in home releases? For the longest time I was under the impression that yes, they are the same. After all, wouldn't it be far easier to transfer the same "layout" (if you will) as in the theater?

However, through talking with friends/family about certain films they saw in the theater, how it sounded theatrically and how it sounds at home, I'm not so sure anymore.

For instance, I was talking to my brother about when he saw Final Destination (1) in the theater. (I'm hoping someone reading this might've see it theatrically too). He said that when the cast is in the airport and the inevitable happens (the plane exploding), the entire theater rocked due to the enormous boom. Now, when I view it at home (keeping in mind that I have a rather powerful 5.1 setup), that "boom" isn't anywhere near as impressive as he made it sound. I even looked at the LFE and I found it to be surprisingly "low" at that exact moment.

Another, and final example, as I could go on forever (too late) ... I read some trivia on the IMDB regarding the mix to the 13 Ghosts remake and the site claims that countless people reported having to leave the film early, as the sound mix was too eerie and powerful for them to endure. Such is not the case at home... at least for me

So yeah, do the studios tend to use the same mix or do they alter it somewhat?

Thanks,

Justin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry to bump this but I'm curious. Did I ask a stupid question or does nobody have an answer?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think its more the speakers than the actual mix.

I don't know the exact specs but I think a theater can have more independent channels than any home system. I know bluray now supports 8 channels (7.1). I don't know how many a theater can have.

But the explosions would be different since a theater subwoofer system is much more impactful than a home system ever could be. I think they also have multiple subwoofers.

Also you don't mention your wattage or speaker brand or configuration.

Don't forget a theater can spend infinitely more than an "average" consumer can on speakers and amplifiers. We can get good results but its hard to replicate a theater without going to insane lengths for high wattage and primo speakers.

edit - also you don't mention if this was from a dvd or bluray and whether or not is was dolby digital or dts or pcm multichannel. The newer hd audio tracks should be more powerful but I've never heard a bluray in full hd audio so I don't know for sure - only from what I've read - I run my ps3 and bluray movies through a sd audio system - still good just not full hd audio for sure.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess they are same but your "rather powerful" 5.1 setup is nothing compared what they use in most theatres.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LFE sub-woofers in a theater are quite large and "move" much more air than a home theater woofer. That rather low LFE signal you see on the bluray mix will move the theater sub-woofer in and out several inches I suspect.
    Quote Quote