VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which drive do you recomend?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just had an ASUS burner die on me. (Brunner's buffer is basically corrupt and it burns at best 1X now.)
    I am looking for a replacement, using SATA.
    I would like to keep the price lower the $40, but if I need to spend more I will. I usually burn data DVD disks, but there is the occasional DVD video, audio CD, and data CD.
    I really just want something that does good writes, is not too loud, and will hopefully work for a few years. I burn around 50 disks a month, usually data DVD's. I would like to have Lightscribe, but it's not needed.

Right now, I am looking at the fallowing two drives, please let me know your input and any other suggestions.
    Samsung - SH-S223L
    Sony - AD-7261S-0B
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    go with the cheapest 24x dvd writer, they are pretty much all the same. asus and plextor are made by liteon. lg seems to be a little better but not much. they sell for about $25, so don't sweat it too much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007589+600003509+600003...e=&srchInDesc=
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, the technology has changed then. Even last year, you could go and look for a name and be guided... it's a shame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. It's hard to find a really bad DVD burner nowadays.....it's been like that for well over a year. Walking down the aisle of Best Buy will not give you an idea of what's really available out there either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I have been boycotting Best Buy for just over 2 years now.
    I use Newegg, Microcenter, TigerDirect (CompUSA), and Fry's for my computer stuff. I'm lucky to have a Microcenter, Frys, and even 2 CompUsa stores within 30 minutes of where I live.

So, because I can only get 16X media, I should just for the cheapest burner I can find. (Starting at $20) OEM doesn't bother me.
    I'll wait on ASUS to get back to me. The drive is less the a year old from the manufacture date, and I have only had it from August last year. If the cost is too high, or it will take too long, I'll just get a new one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Junk discs.....don't forget that scenario as well.
    Junk burning software also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO get the Sony drive or get a LG.....ASUS is a rebadged LITEON....dvd drives are so damn cheap these days....even the prices of blueray burners are coming down.....Just my 2 freaking cents!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    There aren't many really outstanding dvd drives. Most are mediocre these days. The 22x Samsung you are looking at doesn't have the best rep for burning dvds though. Samsung had a good 24x drive, but it has mostly disappeared. Still available through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SH-S243N-Lightscribe-Double-Format/dp/B003YDZI6Q If you want to go through some user reviews/results with this drive look through this thread over at myce: http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh-s243-results-discussion-304840/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for junk disks, I have been using the same batch of Verbatium without issues until a few says ago. Tried on another burner and had no issues.
    As for software, I booted into Linux, and I had the same issue.
    I also tried burning a CD-R and CD-RW with the same issue. I used the same CD-RW in another computer and wrote the same image without an issue.

It's a shame, I might as well get a Lite-On.
    Quote Quote