VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just picked up a Craiglist-bargain DVDR3576/37H DVD recorder today.

Records to the hard drive just fine. However, after dubbing the footage to DVD's and finalizing, the discs won't play in any of my LG DVD or DVD/Blu-Ray drives, or in my Xbox 360. Xbox doesn't even register the disc is in the drive, it says "open tray" after several seconds. Computer gets confused and then pops up the window for burning files to a blank disc.

Media attempted: CMC MAG.M01 (HP Lightscribe DVD+R) and CMC MAG.AM3 (HP DVD-R)

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Maybe I should see if the Xbox plays games still. That thing sits there collecting dust most of the time except when I want to test burned discs
    Last edited by jbd5010; 15th Mar 2011 at 22:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you manage to explore the disc on the PC what files are there? Years ago I had a Philips DVD recorder(no HD) which would add a non-standard file to the disc(although it depended on whether it was -r or +r) preventing it from playing on my other DVD players. Just a thought...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately when I put the DVD's in the computer drives they don't even show up as having any files on them.

I know the disc was actually burned because 1. I can visibly see it on the disc and 2. They will play back just fine when placed back in the Philips unit. Sigh.

I mean, if I want to use this for quick-and-dirty VHS to DVD transfers (I realize this unit has no filters like the JVC's) I guess I could fill up the hard drive and pop it out, put it in my PC and grab the files. I plugged the firewire into my computer (Windows 7 x64) and it failed to install any drivers.. I'm guessing this recorder wasn't intended to use the firewire interface as an OUTput... just an INput.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried a different brand of disc, like Verbatim? The 3576 was always a bit fussy about what it would record on. If a different brand does not work, will the burner burn to an RW disc? The burner on my 3576 half died a few years ago and will only burn to RW's. (I just burn them, copy to -R's on the computer, then reuse the RW's.)
    The burners seem to be the first things that went on these machines.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I guess I'll get some Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs and try that. I was intending to buy some anyway for archival of converted home video. I'm hoping since both types of disc I have are from the same manufacturer, that another one will solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You do understand that "caveat emptor" applies to anything you buy on Craigslist, right? You have no way to know other than blind faith that the recorder you were sold was in perfect working condition when you bought it. The fact that the discs appear empty to your PC concerns me greatly. The Xbox could just be fussy about the media but a PC really does not care at all. If the disc was made properly it should show up as having data on it. Now playback could have issues on the PC if the discs are bad quality (and your media is not good quality at all), but it would at least show up as a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, I realize the risk associated with Craigslist because there is no accountability whatsoever. Depending on price, I sometimes decide not the take the risk, and sometimes I do... this time I did, haha.

Even if the burner is malfunctioning at least the HDD recording works. I'll get my hands on some different media and post a follow-up with my results in case anyone else has this problem in the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
    If you manage to explore the disc on the PC what files are there? Years ago I had a Philips DVD recorder(no HD) which would add a non-standard file to the disc(although it depended on whether it was -r or +r) preventing it from playing on my other DVD players. Just a thought...
    Complete horse-shit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe KiwiKid was referring to VR-mode burning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR_Mode

In any case, just got some Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R's today, media code MCC 003 -- no luck

Looks like I got a bum DVD Recorder. At least the HDD recording works...

Now I just need to get a damn remote for the JVC DR-M10 I just got. JVC VCR remotes (even the "MBR" ones) won't control it apparently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Were the discs finalized in the recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, the display even said "Finalizing discs so they can be played in normal DVD players" at the end of the process.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    There is a thread on another forum with a wealth of info, including where and how to get a replacement dvd writer/burner for the Philips 3576. Here is the link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12244086&postcount=1.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    To hech54 thanks for your really helpful comment . If you read the link jbd5010 provided you will see exactly what I was referring to. Unlike you I was trying to help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    Yup, the display even said "Finalizing discs so they can be played in normal DVD players" at the end of the process.
    I have a 3576 and that message is displayed to remind you to finalize the discs ("Finalize discs", instead of "Finalizing discs")...put a disc in, go into the Disc Edt menu and make sure the "Finalize" option is greyed out. If it is not, it isn't finalized. Select the Finalize option to finalize it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dare2be View Post
    I have a 3576 and that message is displayed to remind you to finalize the discs ("Finalize discs", instead of "Finalizing discs")...put a disc in, go into the Disc Edt menu and make sure the "Finalize" option is greyed out. If it is not, it isn't finalized. Select the Finalize option to finalize it.
    You know, for an electrical engineer, I can be damn stupid sometimes...

Thanks for the tip, definitely saved me from feeling even dumber by trying to fix a non-broken recorder!

Oh, and if anyone wants a copy of my 1997 family trip to Lake Tahoe, I have like 4 copies that just need to be finalized!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

Just an FYI...there is an option in General Settings to turn on Auto-Finalize, but I can't imagine a practical use for it. If you dub title(s) to a disc and plan to dub more titles later, auto-finalize will finalize the disc after that first dubbing session and prevent any further dubbing to the disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To hech54 thanks for your really helpful comment . If you read the link jbd5010 provided you will see exactly what I was referring to. Unlike you I was trying to help.
    No.....You simply don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. If you did know your ass from a hole in the ground, you would have defended yourself instantly.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Yet another profoundly helpful post
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yet another profoundly helpful post
    Just because you never took the time to figure out how something operates, that does not give you the right to post INCORRECT information without it going unchallenged and/or corrected. I don't comment on brain surgery or scripting video because I know nothing about it....I suggest you do the same for DVD Recorders.
    Quote Quote