VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that can record from HD channels, but what I need also for the recorded material to have switchable Subtitles (can be turned on/off).

Currently I have a DVD Recorder that can record Subtitles from HD channels only if they are viewable at the screen (What you see is what you get).

I need the switchable Subtitles so that I can extract the Subtitles separably from the recorded material.

I hope what I'm asking for is clear.

Appreciate if someone can help me.

Thanks & Regards,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might be wrong.. but I don't think that is possible.

the embedded signal that carries the subtitles can only be turned on and off via the live
    broadcast.... once the signal is embedded on tape or dvr... there is no way of activating it
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have extracted the (subs) Closed Captions from recordings on my dvd recorder.

I record them as .VRO then transfer it to my PC via dvdr, edit out the commercials with VideoReDo then use CCExtractor to extract the CC's to an .SRT file.

I have done it with TV broadcast's & Laserdisc transfers to get subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @noahtuck - I have seen that sd dvd recorders can do the cc recording. Does your dvd recorder have an hd tuner? And does the same process work on hd recordings to sd discs? If so perhaps you could post the brand and model number so the original poster can do some more research.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Closed Captions & Subtitles aren't the same.

CC's are not sent through your hdmi without first turning them on at the source box.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP is writing to us from Switzerland, and DVB uses a different method to provide captioning than is used for ATSC in the USA. European style broadcast subtitles/teletext were never officially a part of the DVD standard and so could not possibly be recorded in their original format. There have been other inquiries posted on VideoHelp from people who wanted a machine that recorded them as selectable DVD subtitles, but I can't recall seeing reports of any DVD recorders that could do it.

DVD recorders do record US analog closed captions, although not as selectable subtitles. They are encoded in the GOP user data using a closed caption format that is part of the DVD standard. I beleive that US EIA-708 digital closed captions must be turned on to be recorded and are added to the picture, but I am not sure how EIA-608, the new digital version of line 21 closed captions, are handled by US DVD recorders with digital tuners. I don't have a DVD recorder with a digital tuner to test with.

A TV card for the PC might be an alternative, but the hardware and software would need to have support for DVB subtitles. I use Windows 7's Media Center, and I know EIA-608 line 21 closed captions are stored in the GOP user data for the transport stream, but I'm not sure about how or if EIA-708 closed captions are recorded. Supposedly European broadcast subtitles are recorded as a separate file when using Vista's Media Center, but I don't know if Windows 7 handles them the same way, or bundles them in the .wtv container. I have no idea how other PVR software handles European broadcast subtitles in recordings.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Mar 2011 at 13:35. Reason: I left out a word
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Closed Captions & Subtitles aren't the same.
    Correct but many people call CC's "subtitles".

When i do it i can not choose selectable subs per say which is why i use CCExtractor to extract the CC's to an SRT file then use that to author my dvd's with subtitles or use the SRT for Xvids.

I do this SD but i would imagine if the CC signal is there you can capture it and extract it to a text file to convert to subs.

You don't have to actually see the subtitles on screen to capture the signal.

I know what the OP is saying but i was just saying what i do to get a subtitle file to add to the video afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks you all for your informative posts.

@Noahtuck

I think that capturing CC would work in US, but I don't think that it will work where I live.

@usually_quiet

I couldn't agree more with what you've said. Although I'm not living currently in Switzerland. I'm staying in Dubai at the moment, but what you've said is applied to me as well.
    The problem is that the HD channels which I want to capture the subtitles from are only viewable on their own unique receiver. If I could view them on "Sky Star HD" card for example, then I believe I would find a way to extract the subtitles.
    There is something I don't know if it could help or not. The receiver has an internal Hard Disk and when viewing the recorded material from the receiver on the Hard Disk you can switch on/off the subtitles, but how can I transfer this recorded material outside the receiver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mounalafi
    The receiver has an internal Hard Disk and when viewing the recorded material from the receiver on the Hard Disk you can switch on/off the subtitles, but how can I transfer this recorded material outside the receiver.
    I believe you could only do it by "hardcoding" the subs. That is capture the screen as it is with the subs on. Assuming whatever outputs you have shows the subs on the receiving unit that would be the surefire way to do it.

If this is a subscription service type receiver than its almost 100% certain to be encoded and can't be extracted from the unit.

UNLESS it has a firewire port. It might let you capture the stream with a program like windvhs I think it is. A specific alteration of windv to let you record firewire from hd cable/sat boxes. Then the stream might be embedded digitally and extractable that way. Might be possible but many channels could still be encrypted and copied as garbage also.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MounaLafi View Post
    Thanks you all for your informative posts.

@Noahtuck

I think that capturing CC would work in US, but I don't think that it will work where I live.

@usually_quiet

I couldn't agree more with what you've said. Although I'm not living currently in Switzerland. I'm staying in Dubai at the moment, but what you've said is applied to me as well.
    The problem is that the HD channels which I want to capture the subtitles from are only viewable on their own unique receiver. If I could view them on "Sky Star HD" card for example, then I believe I would find a way to extract the subtitles.
    There is something I don't know if it could help or not. The receiver has an internal Hard Disk and when viewing the recorded material from the receiver on the Hard Disk you can switch on/off the subtitles, but how can I transfer this recorded material outside the receiver.
    I understand the situation. The satellite receiver is responsible for decoding and displaying captions for HD programming instead of the TV here in the US as well. There is no way of sending our closed caption data when using HDMI or HD analog component video. The needed part of the signal is missing. Only SD analog outputs can provide it, using interlaced SD/NTSC output. Since DVB uses an entirely different technology to provide subtitles, there is no way at all to provide them except as an integral part of the picture.

I hope things are different for you, but here in the US recordings on almost all kinds of HDD DVRs are encrypted and can't be exported or copied directly from the HDD in a useful format. You would need to consult the owner's manual for your satellite DVR/receiver to find out if it is possible to export or copy unencrypted files directly from the HDD.

However, without a DVB-S PC device that can receive the same programming, I think you are stuck with your current problem where the stored programs can be only be re-recorded using a DVD recorder or PC, and the only way to get subtitles is as an integral part of the picture.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Mar 2011 at 16:39.
    Quote Quote