VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I am a brand new registered guy from Italy. I found this forum looking for some help in video programming. I try to explain what I am looking for and first of all I must say I have no skill at all in programming but I could try. I need someone who is willing to help or someone who has already done something like that.
    For an art video project I would like to use a video player (I found Videolan could be the best solution but I am open to any suggestion) in order to play random video clips from a playlis (this is the easy part) but for a specific amount of time (i.e 20 seconds) and from a random starting point, not specifically the beginning of the movie. I would like to use it on a Xp machine. I know it can be done on linux and it has been done (see: http://superuser.com/questions/81044/playback-random-section-from-multiple-videos-chan.../252611#252611) but I do not know if and how it can be done on Windows.
    Videolan is a very powerfull tool and can be programmed in several ways (there is a language called LUA... do not know what it is...). There is a nice forum (http://forum.videolan.org) but I did not get any help in there.
    Is there anyone willing to help... please... you will be credited in my project... not a big deal just a school project but that's all I can do.
    Thank You.

Carlo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) Open files (or multiple instances of the same file in VLC) so as to populate the playlist.
    1.1) Use "Advanced File Open" method for the first file though and set the "start playback time" of the video to a time ahead.
    2) View the playlist and save it.
    3) Open the playlist file on Notepad. Here, study the code and understand the syntax and formatting of the playlist. Notice the "start time" statement. NOTE: This may not be exact phrasing of the statement.

Once you've understood the pattern, you can copy/paste chunks of code and just rename the filename of the video. Also, to stop the video at a particular time; similar to the "start time" statement, add another copy of the statement and change "start" to "stop".

Hope that helped. If you didn't understand, I detail my explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, thank You for you answer. Your approach is interesting and I did not tink about it before. Anyway I do not think it would be possible to do what I am trying to do. I cannot figure how get the start time in a random position and it is not possible to know the end of every single clip... this information is not available in the playlist (am I wrong?).
    Please let me know if there is something I am missing.
    Thank You.
    Quote Quote