VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Should you pay for new software version?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will pay for a new version of software if i get a discount.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose an important consideration would be whether or not the new version is considerably changed/improved over the previous version; if it's the previous version with a few minor changes (not necessarily including cosmetic changes), does that warrant you needing to pay full price for the new version?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ai haibara
    the new version is considerably changed/improved over the previous version
    That's my thinking.

If I can do basically the same thing with my current version that the new version does with only minor new additions I won't upgrade if its a pay only upgrade.

However if there are significant improvements like a new engine/processing technique or new features not previously availalbe I would consider a purchase for the new software.

Otherwise I usually stick with the version I bought. Though the freeware for video has gotten so good I don't spend much for video applications. Last software I bought was audials 8 (tunebite) for more support on screen recording and dubbing purchased video files to other formats (during realtime playback).

I also bought Pinnacle Studio 12 when it was new on the shelf and upgraded it through pinnacles website to plus for the high def support. But I haven't bought a newer version of Studio yet. I haven't done enough editing to justify it. Nor do I have a fast enough computer to do avchd natively at a comfortable level without agonizing load times. I would have to convert to high bitrate mpeg2 to do editing on my aging dual core pc. It gets the job done but its taxing at times for video projects.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If there were better newer features then yes. If they just slap a shiny new interface on a program without really offering any new features then nope.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would upgrade only if the new version had features I wanted or needed. Sometimes the 'new and improved' version is beta or causes problems. At least I would wait a while before I considered a upgrade, especially if the cost was substantial.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717 View Post
    If there were better newer features then yes. If they just slap a shiny new interface on a program without really offering any new features then nope.
    Actually sometimes a new interface CAN be a deciding factor for upgrading. Some programs can have such archaic and inane layouts that navigating can be a pain. Simplifying without taking away functionality can be an enticement to buy a new version.

If a program is so cluttered/clunky that you don't want to use it than it doesn't serve its purpose.

However sometimes an interface change is just a new coat of paint and offers no new advantages - then upgrading isn't worth it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something else to consider would be the type of program. Ripper programs, if they are replaced by a new version and the older version is no longer supported, would be virtually worthless.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  8. It all depends on if the upgrade has any new features or improvements that I'm interested in and feel are worth the price to upgrade.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something that I don't think has been mentioned is os compatibility. Especially 32bit vs 64bit. That could necessitate an upgrade if a previous version won't work at all on a new platform.

Or things that can't work from older environments like xp to win7 if there are any. Or older still from the 9x series. Some stuff just doesn't age well and has to be upgraded or replaced with a different version or competing product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I picked 'other' because it depends if I need the new feature or not.
    Quote Quote