VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It took me several hours and generated several headaches along the way until I got it to work. This is a short guide to explain how to setup DMFS (DebugMode FrameServer) up and get using it, to enjoy the wind-fast rendering capabilities of this nifty little IO tool!

Step1: Downloading DMFS

The first step is obviously getting DMFS itself. Follow this link to download it: http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/
    To the right there's the Download section. It's 100kB, and it's worth well more than that - trust me.

Installing it shouldn't be half as hard as it was for me. Make sure to choose the Sony Vegas Plugin during installation (after Agreeing to their ToS). You'll be requested to pick two paths for your installation folder, the first option should be kept as default, this is where the DebugMode FrameServer Core Files will be installed.

The second options requires you to find the Sony Vegas installation directory. This is NOT the Shared Plugins folder. Navigate to your Sony Vegas installation path (or make sure it's correct) and select that. I installed mine on the E: partition, specifically "E:\Tools\Sony Vegas Pro 10", which means that's the path I'll provide it with.

Simply let it install at this point and you're ready to move on to the next step.

Step2: Setting the Audio correctly

Next up is to properly setup your video to the correct settings. This is required, do not skip it. DMFS can only really handle 8 and 16bit depth for the audio, and operates at a sample rate of 48kHz. Changing these settings caused me several errors, so my suggestion is to set it to the following screenshot when it comes down to it. You access the Properties Window by hitting Alt+Enter or go into File -> Properties.

At this point you want to make sure your video sounds fine and that there are no issues with anything. Feel free to edit your video as is necessary (make sure the Audio Properties stay as mentioned above) and we can move on to actually using DMFS

Step3: Rendering As... DMFS!

It's time to Render the file using our DMFS tool. Go into File -> Render As... From the Render As... window, we'll want to choose the "DebugMode FrameServer". If you don't find the option available, it's a clear indication you incorrectly installed the FrameServer. Retry the procedure and make sure you pick the Sony Vegas Installation Folder.

No configuration options are available (nor should they be necessary) so all that's left is to choose the right location to save this signpost AVI file and give it a proper name. I saved mine in the Lossless folder, which is basically what DMFS will be mimicking.

If you get a "The file has no video" error or something of the sort, use a different name to save your file with (a unique one you never used before) and it should work just fine.

Step4: DMFS Options

If everything went well you'll be prompted with a new window for the DMFS options. This is the settings I use. I recommend you simply copy these if you're getting errors with your own and moving on to the next stage. Make sure to hit Next on this window, otherwise DMFS won't serve the data!

Step5: Watch or Work (using the Signpost AVI)

DMFS will proceed to create the Signpost AVI (this is the file you want to use) and should be up and running in no time - ready to be used.

You can always view this using your favourite Media Player, but I'm going to take it a step further and use this file to encode it using MeGUI. First off, if you did everything correctly you should be able to navigate to the folder where you saved the file at and find it there, like so:

Thinks of this just like any other avi file. Nothing should be simpler. I launch MeGUI at this point launch the AVS Script Creator - Ctrl+R. I dig for the signpost AVI and load it up in the script. The preview window pops up as usual, which I close and define the output destination ("Encoded" folder). I choose a Progressive Source Type in the other tab and Save the script, closing the preview that pops up once again (I should figure out how to disable them popping up by themselves!)

I prepare the audio job just as usual (select the signpost avi, define the folder to output it to and check the other settings MeGUI offers). I queue up the audio and the video. I Start the Queue. This is where the true magic of DMFS happens. On faster computers you'll get even more neckbreaking speeds! Here's a screenshot at which I sure as hell smiled and nodded:

Hope it was useful and detailed - it's my very first attempt at giving something back to this community, which has directed me towards using this. And yes, as you can see this works flawlessly with Windows 7 64 bit and Sony Vegas Pro 10 64 bit!

Lupo,
    WooF!
    Last edited by Luponius; 6th Mar 2011 at 15:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using debugmode frameserver with 64-bit Vegas ever since it first came out in Vrgas Pro version 9. The trick like you said is to put the "Frameserver.x86.fio2007-config" file int the 64-bit Vegas installed folder. In my case it's "C:\Program Files\Sony|Vegas Pro 9". I also got it working on my Laptop running Win7 64-bit and Vegas 10 64-bit. Make sure to save the project before exporting, as sometimes it crashes when you first select the frameserver.............

You can turn off preview in the MeGUI settings. This is a good Idea and I always disable it when I install MeGUI.

Also, since Vegas works in RGB32 colorspace exclusively, that is what you should always choose when exporting via Debugmode frameserver. Also no need to write PCM into signpost, I never do......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    The trick like you said is to put the "Frameserver.x86.fio2007-config" file int the 64-bit Vegas installed folder.
    The Frameserver config is automatically installed to the Vegas folder provided you chose the proper installation paths.

Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    You can turn off preview in the MeGUI settings. This is a good Idea and I always disable it when I install MeGUI. Also, since Vegas works in RGB32 colorspace exclusively, that is what you should always choose when exporting via Debugmode frameserver. Also no need to write PCM into signpost, I never do......
    That's a pretty useful tip for MeGUI, it is fairly annoying and indeed I toggle it off, cheers.

Not writing PCM into signpost results in the audio serving returning empty data. This means I sample at 9000% realtime values but get only empty data which is obviously unusable. This might be just the way Sony Vegas Pro 10 is, or some other mysterious factor.

To be honest I'm not sure what the negative effects of writing PCM to signposts are. I'm not even sure what it does in the first place, I just know it's there as an option to be used, and using it allows me to actually make use of the audio feed as opposed to not using it and not getting a proper audio feed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It just takes a little longer to write the signpost when you enable PCM. I always export audio separately from video and never need it. It does no harm including the PCM in the signpost however.........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great guide. Well done!
    Does a guide exist for using DMFS with Premiere Pro (CS4)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by curlyween View Post
    Great guide. Well done!
    Does a guide exist for using DMFS with Premiere Pro (CS4)?
    Thank you ^^

In regards to premiere pro, if you're trying to use the 264 codec, it should have the H264 and that has full support for multi threaded rendering, which makes DMFS redundant. If you still want to use it (possibly for another audio/video codec combination), the DMFS website mentions the following:

Originally Posted by http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/usage.htm
    1. From timeline, choose menu "File > Export > Movie" and choose "Debugmode FrameServer" in the list of output formats.
    2. Enter a valid filename for the output file. This file is called the "signpost" file.
    3. Click "Save" to start FrameServing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey there Luponius! I registered just to say thank you so much for your guide.
    I haven't been able to use DMFS since i got Win7 x64 a couple of years ago and i could never figure out how to get it working.
    Thanks to your guide, i can once again frameserve my projects from vegas. You da man!
    Quote Quote  
  8. You're more than welcome to it and thank you for your feedback =]

Take care,

Lupo.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the guide! Works well with my Vegas Pro 10 64. On curious note, I get a "data from signpost avi is not 24 bit"
    error message when DMFS starts serving the file. Does not seem to effect anything though. And yes, I do have my project audio properties set to 16 bit.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, i've got a 25i video from handycam and when i use DMFS to render i get that famous "improper deinterlacing" or "improper interlace to progressive" conversion which makes ghost frame in output video, by the way i use vegas pro 12 x64
    Quote Quote  
  11. dmfs exports project properties, so you can let Vegas to deinterlace by setting project properties to progressive or you deinterlace out of Vegas by setting Vegas project properties like your original clip, field order top field first (if you camcorder is tff), and deinterlace outside of Vegas

and Vegas can deinterlace with frame resample or without it, also outside of Vegas you can deinterlace many ways, depending what encoder and settings you use .... try to explain more what is your case
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do you mean by "interlace out of Vegas" ?

also i changed field order to progressive and deinterlace method to interpolate fields,at cost of some quality loss though!
    but what if i want a interlace output?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming your source clips are interlaced and you want to export as interlaced:

1) make sure your project properties match your input files.
    2) set deinterlace method to NONE.
    3) Right-Click on clip in the timeline and select Switches > Disable Resample

Number 3 is important if your clip's framerate does not match properties, or you timestretched it in any way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done this thousands of times with interlaced footage without any issues like that.

You need to give all details if you want to get help. Make sure you are frameserving in RGB24, because that's what Vegas works in. What are you frameserving into? What codec are you using? Certain codecs like some mjpegs don't properly support interlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this the setting i use
    and i've installed
    K-Lite.Codec.Pack.v9.0.2.x64
    my video infos are
    General
    ID : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name : --------------------------------------------
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 296 MiB
    Duration : 1mn 50s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 22.4 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 24.0 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=13
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 21.2 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 22.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.410
    Stream size : 280 MiB (95%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -80ms
    Stream size : 3.38 MiB (1%)

Text
    ID : 4608 (0x1200)
    Format : PGS
    Codec ID : 144
    Delay relative to video : -80ms
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  16. debugmode only serves what vegas gives to it

The problem is likely one of the 3 things racer-x mentioned above , or the program you're using to view is applying a blend deinterlace (how are you previewing the output ? )

Double check the project properties settings in vegas . Double check that disable resample is checked . Post a screenshot of those
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use windows media player, because media player classic can not play it( it return error, for which an screen shot is posted). and
    kmplayer can not play any interlace video correctly, so my only choice is windows media player.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mpc.jpg
Views:	1655
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	25250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vegas1.jpg
Views:	1727
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	25251  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vegas2.jpg
Views:	1951
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	25252  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Set full-resolution rendering quality to BEST for everything.

You still didn't say what you are frameserving into and what formats you creating. Nobody can know what you are doing.

Aslo a codec pack is never a good idea and is a possible reason for your problems............
    Quote Quote  
  19. To rule out WMP blend deinterlacing , use an avs script to open the file , open in vdub to preview

AVISource("signpost.avi")
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    You still didn't say what you are frameserving into and what formats you creating. Nobody can know what you are doing.

Aslo a codec pack is never a good idea and is a possible reason for your problems............
    i dont understand what information you want
    also if i dont install codec pack, would player be able to play videos?
    Quote Quote