VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I wish I'd known about this forum before I made my purchase but hopefully it's ok. I bought a refurbished Magnavox VCR/DVD recorder ZV427MG9 A. I haven't used it yet but I'm trying to decide what recordable discs to buy and what record mode to use.

All I'll use the recorder for is to dub my old vcr's to DVD. I want the discs to work in my bluray player that also
    plays all -/+ R/RW discs. What's confusing is that many people say to use a -R disc. However, the Magnavox instructions say "DVD-R recorded in a mode other than +VR is not recordable on this unit." I've read in other places that +VR can cause problems and maybe unable to be played back on other DVD players. I don't even know the difference between +VR and the other modes. So I'm confused.

If I'm only going to use this unit to dub vhs to dvd and I want the dvds to play in my bluray player that's new, good quality and plays all formats, what type of disc should I buy and what recording mode should I use? I'd like to make it as easy as possible. I'd like to avoid finalizing but not at the expense of other problems. Thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It appears this recorder only works in +VR mode, so it doesn't matter if you use -R or +R discs. No matter, a finalized VR disc should play just fine in any reader. It's only a PITA when you want to import and edit in with a PC.

"DVD-R recorded in a mode other than +VR is not recordable on this unit."; what they're telling you is you recorder can work with unfinalized discs recorded on a different machine as long as it was recorded in +VR i.e. an unfinalized disc from a Samsung recoder that was done in Video mode can't be read. Any disc will be readable once it's finalized.

Also, there's no issue with using +R discs instead of -R on players built after 2002. The +R specification was released in 2002 so older players weren't designed to read +R discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    nic2k4: Thanks for the response. Sorry for the simply questions but this stuff is new to me.

1. So is there an advantage to using +R instead of -R if the player you want to play it back on is compatible with both formats?

2. Is there a reason to not use +RW which according to the manual doesn't need finalizing and will play on +RW compatible players?

3. So from what you say I don't need to worry about selecting +VR in the Marantz mode menu, it only records in that mode?

Thanks again for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, I just noticed in the manual of my bluray player (OPPO BDP-83), it says it will play DVD +/- R and +/-RW "using version 1.1 of the DVD VIDEO RECORDING FORMAT, FINALIZED".

I don't know what this means?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dobe View Post
    ...selecting +VR in the Marantz mode menu...
    Do you mean Magnavox? I took a quick glance at the manual for that machine; I couldn't see any reference to another recording mode, other than choosing the "speed". The only thing that's clear, DVD-R/RW will be recorded on in +VR mode. If you see an option to format a blank disc in Video mode, it would only work with +R/RW discs and by all means use that. It makes editing in the PC much easier (better compatibility with software and hardware). Personally I see no difference between the + or - disc types, but since your recorder works in +VR mode you might be better off using + discs.

Just remember a recorded disc won't play in a different device (other than the machine that recorded it) if it's not finalized. You can always unfinalize RW discs, but not write once discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    these are recordings off of tv i assume???
    i've had a hard time trying to dub with this machine some discs work some don't
    Quote Quote