VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently have a Linsys WRT54GL flashed to Tomato firmware. It's been doing great, but lately I've been hearing a high pitched whine coming from it. I'm the the only one in the house with bat ears so I'm the only one that hears it. I'm fearing that it may be a sign of imminent hardware failure. I'd like to get some input on what router to replace it with if this thing up and dies on me. Better to research it now than when I have already lost the router.

I figure I may as well upgrade to a Gigabit router. I probably don't have any devices that can use Wireless N right now, but I do have a 10/100/1000 card in my new budget build, which is dual booting Win7 HP x64 and a Hackintosh Snow Leopard 10.6.6 install. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My old Netgear router croaked in similar fashion, I was looking forward when I replaced it with a Netgear wndr3700 and am very pleased with it. Has gigabit ethernet, dual band wireless, all the bells and whistles.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you do any torrenting or similar applications that could have issues with the router? My main issue in the past has been with torrents crashing the router firmware, which Tomato had fixed for me. It may have been specific to the Linksys routers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    utorrent works without any problems, I can let it run for days without a hitch, I also use Playon server to stream media from pc to Roku player, this router has firmware that can devote resources to streaming media as a high priority as well.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sounds good. I'll have to slap a 10/100/1000 card in my FreeNAS box now to really kick up my transfer speeds on the local network.

Thanks for the input. This router along with a couple DLinks seem to be the more popular models.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Check out the Netgear WNR3500L, it's similar to the 3700 with a USB port so you can share storage on the network. One thing that impressed me with it, is the signal coverage and strength all over the house. Our older computers in the basement and second floor have no problem running at 54 mbps, they're only 802.11 G. I've seen it go on sale for $60.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd get this one for $135:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019TBSBQ?ie=UTF8&tag=digitalfaq-20&linkCode=as2&cam...SIN=B0019TBSBQ

Netgear makes some nice ones, and this is a solid choice.

EDIT: On sale at Newegg right now, $80:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. I hope it's on sale when I actually need it. I hate to buy it now when the Linksys is still running fine.

Thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote