VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Can I use a U.S Canopus ADVC-100 in the U.K if I use a power step-down transformer?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does PAL if that is what you have.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,
    Thanks for the response, I know it does both NTSC and PAL, but I'm worried it might fry itself or my computer.
    Does anyone if its safe to use in the U.K?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very often, step-down/step-up transformers have dirty power, which shows up visibly in video.
    Does the unit have 120~240 power rating?
    Sometimes you can just use a plug shape adapter, or swap the power lead.

This is how many JVC S-VHS PAL VCRs are.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 6th Mar 2011 at 12:48. Reason: typos
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Canopus 100 does both PAL and NTSC.
    I have been succesfully using it for over
    10 years now. It make a DV file of about
    13Gb per hour, using a Panasonic codec
    which compresses the video by about a
    factor of 5. I use a standalone 5v supply.
    Its quite cheap to buy one. A stable p/s
    is a must with video capture. Scenalyzer
    is a great piece of software if you wish
    to capture scheduled TV programs. Its
    also great for cutting out the adverts etc.
    AutoGordianKnot or just plain VirtualDub
    will allow you to render the 13Gb video
    down into manageable 1 CD Xvid video,
    or 2 CD Mpeg2 video, with very little loss
    of quality. Pity it doesn't do HD!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you mean a step up transformer as we have 220V across Europe,

I think you would be better off with another PSU ,, but in saying that check on the PSU that you have and see if it can handle the voltage most modern switch mode PSu have a very wide range of input voltage's they can handle
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi,
    Could it be that simple? I simply swap the power supply adaptors?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jedi55 View Post
    Hi,
    Could it be that simple? I simply swap the power supply adaptors?
    Yes it could be. The computer you are using right now is a perfect example. Computer power supplies
    work anywhere in the world...just change the power plug. Printers are the same(well...95% of them).
    Scanners too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi,
    I'm planning on getting the ADVC-100 from U.S e-bay. I'm getting a new high spec pc with 500gig hd, quad processor and blu-ray burner. I'm planning on buying a U.S s-vhs vcr for my collection of NTSC tapes.

I simply want to transfer my tapes to blu-ray in the highest possible quality.

I'm getting the ADVC-100 because it got great reviews and its simple to use and it can overcome macrovision.
    The unit I'm trying to get does not come with a power adaptor.

I'm hoping I can just buy a U.K 5v Canopus power adaptor ( Input voltage: AC100-240V, 50/60Hz Output voltage: 5V DC)

If I understand you guys correctly it should be easy, right?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Can I use a U.S Canopus ADVC-100 in the U.K if I use a power step-down transformer?

Thanks
    Look at the power supply that came with your Canopus ADVC-100.

Mine is an EG switch mode, Model EPA121DA-05

It is rated 100-240vac 50/60 Hz input.

Output is 5v @ 2.5 Amps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used it in Europe with no problems but a surge protector is recommended. It should work with Japan's 100v 60 Hz as well.

All my Sony/Canon camcorder supplies are 100-240VAC 50/60Hz as well. Never assume. Read the specs.
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Mar 2011 at 16:15.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm planning on getting the ADVC-100 from U.S e-bay. I'm getting a new high spec pc with 500gig hd, quad processor and blu-ray burner. I'm planning on buying a U.S s-vhs vcr for my collection of NTSC tapes.

I simply want to transfer my tapes to blu-ray in the highest possible quality.

I'm getting the ADVC-100 because it got great reviews and its simple to use and it can overcome macrovision.
    The unit I'm trying to get does not come with a power adaptor.

I'm hoping I can just buy a U.K 5v Canopus power adaptor ( Input voltage: AC100-240V, 50/60Hz Output voltage: 5V DC)

If I understand you guys correctly it should be easy, right?

Many thanks
    No, not that easy.

Only the early (2003-4) models of the ADVC-100 had the magic mode. Current 110 models don't.

For highest quality, you are also going to need a quality VHS player and TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi,
    I'm restricted to whats avalable on ebay. I'll try to get a JVC or Panasonic S-VHS player if I can.
    I don't think my budget will stretch to a TBC.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll find this isn't optional, and it's not a suggestion.
    These are requirements to get a quality and functional setup.

You might find these related posts enlightening:
    - Seeking Guidance on VHS to digital conversion equipment and procedures...
    - Have I made the right choices (buying equipment)

I posted in one over the weekend. Same basic information that you should probably read.
    Quote Quote  
  14. This seem like a good topic for asking. I've bought a ntsc vcr (120V) recently and i will need a transformer as i live in europe (220V). If someone has been dealing with that kind of stuff let me know.I need to buy a good brand /model transformer i can rely on.Thanks
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You'll find this isn't optional, and it's not a suggestion.
    Agreed. If you're going to spend the money to get an ADVC100 you might as well spend the money to get a decent VCR. In fact, better VCR and less expensive capture device might make more sense.

I have an ADVC110 and I've never used a power supply - it takes its power from the 6-pin Firewire cable. You only need a power supply if you use 4-pin Firewire or a device/card that doesn't send power down firewire.

Any adapter will do.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very often, step-down/step-up transformers have dirty power, which shows up visibly in video.
    Depends on the tech - I can't see how a simple transformer can make the power cleaner or dirtier.

However, occasionally equipment is sensitive to mains frequency. Changing European 50Hz mains to match American 60Hz mains is beyond the capabilities of a transformer. 50Hz 110V will give hum bars on a very small subset of "NTSC" American video equipment.

A decade ago the cheapest solution I could find for "clean" 60Hz 110V in the UK was to buy a petrol generator! Maybe switched mode technology has changed this.

In practice, any equipment this picky needs to be dumped. Luckily most is fine.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The transformers are almost always cheaply made crap.
    That's really the only reason.

A well-made tf would be fine, but good luck finding one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UK building sites commonly use 110V. Yellow builder's transformers are really common, and built like tanks. Total overkill, and the socket isn't an American one (I have a UK 110V plug on the end of a cable to a standard American trailer board), but they work really well. Beware their magnetic fields though!

e.g.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUILDERS-TRANSFORMER-110V-/140509144560

I've used the 500W one shown here...
    http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm
    ...but not bought from there. Works fine on TVs, VCRs etc - but note cost per W is much higher than a building site one!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI
    I ran that ADVC-100 power supply model through Google and found this. Only $18.91 and includes a Euro plug adapter.
    The 5v plug looks similar. Worst case you would replace the mini-plug at Radio Shack.

http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Adapter-EPA-121DA-05-EPA121DA05-Digital/dp/B002ZTBMQK
    Quote Quote  
  20. Why not look for an ADVC50?
    Bay mounted - derives 5v DC power from the computer power supply supply (so no 110/220v problems) - deals with 'variable brightness' problem (fit link6). Usually cheaper than ADVC100.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Why not look for an ADVC50?
    Bay mounted - derives 5v DC power from the computer power supply supply (so no 110/220v problems) - deals with 'variable brightness' problem (fit link6). Usually cheaper than ADVC100.
    For just capture yes, or the 55.

But the ADVC-100 has output and a color bar. It has 10's of uses.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it has an external supply then I cant see it been a problem.
    Go down to your Local Maplin with the US PSU and they should be able to sort you out with one. some thing like http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-1000ma-power-supply-46107 but it will depend on the input voltage and the current requirement of the kit. always go for a higher current rating if it say it take 1000ma go for a 1500ma supply or greater.
    just been careful to make sure that you that the correct voltage and mike sure that the + voltage is on the correct Pin
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Depends on the tech - I can't see how a simple transformer can make the power cleaner or dirtier.

However, occasionally equipment is sensitive to mains frequency. Changing European 50Hz mains to match American 60Hz mains is beyond the capabilities of a transformer. 50Hz 110V will give hum bars on a very small subset of "NTSC" American video equipment.

A decade ago the cheapest solution I could find for "clean" 60Hz 110V in the UK was to buy a petrol generator! Maybe switched mode technology has changed this.
    So this kind of transformer would be out of the question i suppose ? You tell me

There is a more expensive model here too

If it's what it takes to have no hum bars and other crap onscreen i take, i need to be sure though
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good. Either that one or the one I posted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    So this kind of transformer would be out of the question i suppose ? You tell me

If it's what it takes to have no hum bars and other crap onscreen i take, i need to be sure though
    I really don't know. IME the video equipment itself, the cabling, and the position of the transformer (remember - strong magnetic field!) make far more difference than the choice of transformer.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Just to remind folks (because it appears to have got lost) - most (all?) of the Canopus devices don't need an external PSU unless you decide to use a 4-pin Firewire port (e.g. on a laptop).

I have happily used my ADVC110 from the USA for three years now, without an external power adapter.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post

I really don't know. IME the video equipment itself, the cabling, and the position of the transformer (remember - strong magnetic field!) make far more difference than the choice of transformer.

Cheers,
    David.
    Strong magnetic field hmm interesting. I have an old aluminum pc case, aluminum is amagnetic maybe if i place the transformer inside that would make some kind of faraday cage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Just to remind folks (because it appears to have got lost) - most (all?) of the Canopus devices don't need an external PSU unless you decide to use a 4-pin Firewire port (e.g. on a laptop).

I have happily used my ADVC110 from the USA for three years now, without an external power adapter.

Cheers,
    David.
    Yes, but still nice to have the external supply because 2.5A is a heavy draw. These things run hot.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thanks so much for all your help. Unfortunately I'm more confused now then ever. I was going to get the Canopus ADVC-100 for high quality and to overcome macrovision.

From what I understand I'm better off getting the Canopus ADVC-55 and using the money saved, to get a better TBC.

However, after reading lordsmurf's excellent guides, I'm starting to question whether the Canopus ADVC devices are best for my needs. All I want is a straight VHS to disc transfer, no edits.

I've narrowed my choices down to three and have started a new topic to find out which is most suitable.

Many thanks
    Quote Quote