VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm sorry guys my head is really spinning here. Normally I do my due diligence before posting such a n00bile question, however I've been pouring over pages of information without a simple answer to a simple question. I have a DVD ripped to a simply a VIDEO_TS folder, it's got a .BUP, .IFO, & .VOB files listed. Supposedly it's with Dutch subtitles. I found a site and downloaded the English subtitles in .SRT format ripped from the DVD as well, so they should line up fairly well. The baby is screaming in my ear, and I've got a pounding headache, just trying to get these subs added to a DVD for my father-in-law who wants the disc. Apparently there's just some parts in to movie where they speak French so I wanted to have the subtitles to make it perfect, but thinking about just saying screw it! All I really wanna know now is if it's possible. However if someone has time, if it is possible, can you point me to a tutorial or link? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by SetoTitan View Post
    No. You'll have to demux the movie (PGCDemux), reauthor the movie adding in the subs, perhaps converting the SRTs to some other format depending on the format your authoring program supports, and then replace the original subless version with your new subbed version (VobBlanker). Here's Baldrick's guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks manono! Exactly what I was looking for.

Care to take a look at my second idea and give me your thoughts there?
    information wants to be free
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SetoTitan View Post
    Thanks manono! Exactly what I was looking for.

Care to take a look at my second idea and give me your thoughts there?
    Not the same thing, AVI's only need an SRT file in the same folder with the same name as the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah I get that, thank you. I should have been more clear, I was asking manono to take a look at that post. If you want to take a look and offer your help I'm open to suggestion.
    information wants to be free
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As a matter of note, you really DON'T want to put them in your VIDEO_TS folder. ONLY valid DVD-Video spec files should go in there or it can make some hardware players baulk. Same goes for non-spec stuff in the AUDIO_TS folder. Same for VCD spec and Blu-Ray spec folders, etc. Keep the extra stuff in the root or OTHER folders.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    He was asking if he could just drop them into the folder to show up when watching the dvd, not to store them there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Years late to the party but yes you can. Copy the .srt file to the video_TS folder and the player will read it. When I first tried this, I first put the .srt file in the movie folder but the player didn't pick it up. When I moved it to the video_ts folder, that did the trick. Make sure the .srt file is the same name as the movie folder. I converted a bunch of movies to DVD format for my wife to watch and took all the subtitles out of them. Turned out she wanted them. I thought I was screwed and would have to convert them all over again (which is a lengthy process) with the subtitles back in. Turned out I only needed the .srt files for them which saved me a lot of damn time. You might be asking why would I convert to DVD format? Good question in this day and age. I have a media player hooked to my TV that I play movies from usb stick and for some reason, it prefers DVD format to play the sound at the correct level. It will play all formats but when I play them, I have to turn the TV sound all the way to max and most of the time it still isn't loud enough. Weird player I got. I have a second (different) media player (android box) hooked up to a different TV. This player is the opposite of the other one. It hates DVD format and plays them all wonky with audio out of sync with video, but plays all other formats fine. Go figure. All media players are not created equal, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Mike89; 6th Jan 2018 at 02:33.
    I7 3770K, ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs DDR3, GTX 770, Asus V278H, Z Blaster, 2 DVD Burners, Corsair M500 120 GB SSD, 2 WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, Logitech Z-5500, Corsair TX750, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Win10 Pro x64
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
    Years late to the party but yes you can
    The original question was about adding SRT subs to a VIDEO_TS folder for playing in a standard DVD player, not a media player through a USB port. The answer is still, 'No'.

You might be asking why would I convert to DVD format?
    Nope, the question never entered my mind.
    Quote Quote  
  10. To me, it seems it would work the same way reading from a player playing a DVD Format or burning that same edited DVD format and playing the DVD through a DVD player. I'll have to test that out myself to see the results.
    I7 3770K, ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs DDR3, GTX 770, Asus V278H, Z Blaster, 2 DVD Burners, Corsair M500 120 GB SSD, 2 WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, Logitech Z-5500, Corsair TX750, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Win10 Pro x64
    Quote Quote