VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So with this weeks low down on the ipad 2 and the recent release of the motorola xoom do any of you have dedicated ebook readers like a kindle or nook? What about a tablet like an ipad or xoom?

I don't.

The most up to date hand held electronic device I have is a psp. I recently traded in my nintendo ds for an aracade fight stick for the 360.

But I can make damn near perfect h264 mp4s for my psp with ripbot264 at cq22. I can also do txt files as jpgs with one of those converters online but those aren't seekable and don't have handy bookmarks or anything like that.

I do read pretty often but not enough to go digital. Also I buy older scifi books used mostly. Its still cheaper that way.

The only reason I'd really look into a ebook reader or tablet is for video. The txt reading would be nice for some fan fiction stuff I have from the net. But I don't think I'd buy any best seller for it.

So have you bought one of these hand held modern marvels? The ebook/tablet is what I'm reffering to - nothing nefarious or sexual here please......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a Kindle. I love it, but it's definitely not for video. No e-ink technology device is. The refresh rate is too slow for video. Right now, for video you want a tablet, or one of the pseudo-tablets like the color Nook. The advantage for e-ink devices for reading is that the technology works like ink on paper with reflected light. It is not back lit, thereby reducing eyestrain. In a recent study, 40% of iPad owners said they also have a Kindle that they prefer to use for reading, and another 20% said they would probably get a Kindle within the next year specifically for reading. The iPad (and other tablet type devices) are great for video and surfing, etc. But for simply reading text, e-ink is better. The e-ink technology is being developed with color, but it's not ready for prime time and it still won't have the refresh rates necessary for video. It'll be great for children's books though.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not yet.
    I'm eying an iPad
    -- after taxes have been paid, the car is fixed, IRA payments made
    -- if anything's left.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @lordsmurf - well the recent price drop to 350.00 for the entry level model should make the ipad 1 more attractive

@gadgetguy - interesting. I guess I remember reading some stuff about that e-ink. I don't really know anything about it. Nice that colors coming out for it. Also interesting that Ipad users would rather have it for reading books (well a large percentage anyway).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well, for me, i prefer a TAB (or other similar device) that allows me to stretch the screen. sometimes i want to see less or more, but i want the device to maintain the best sharpness etc. and the last time i saw an ipad in action (bestbuy) it did not allow you do that. its more a habbit, i guess, to strech the screen, like when looking at maps and photos. but one thing i did like about the ipad was the sharp text--the one i was looking at was a demo, last year.

i want one that is bigger than my current iPod Touch but not too big or bulky to log around. i also just can't get use to the touch screen. i have shaky thumbs, which i never knew until i started using the iPod touch, what a shocker for me to realize that. anyway. so i also want a good keyboard to type on. and i want to be able to surf the net and do maybe a few other things. now, if these things could split-screen, have two apps open that would be beneficial, so i could read the text and scroll around the maps for instance, as in bible reading which i do a lot of on my ipod touch but i can't view maps at the same time. anyway, i'm still searching around for the right combination.

-vhelp 5487
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The large screen and real keyboard might be deal breakers. I think only smartphones have real keyboards these days and those don't have big screens.

Though some of the tablets have keyboard docks to add on but that would only be for stationary use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm.... only $350.
    Well, I may be doing my taxes this week, if that's the case.
    Don't want to miss that deal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to take that back.

I'm not sure what article I read that on - either cnet or yahoo I think.

HOWEVER I was just at bestbuy.com this morning and they were advertising clearance prices for the Ipad at 399.99. There may be other online outlets lower than that but if bestbuy is doing the entry model at 399.99 thats got to be the going rate.

I'd check around to be sure but yeah it was being slashed..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The refurb is $350 from Apple.
    You were correct.
    The shell is replaced on the refurb, so basically new.

It'd still be $440 for me, after tax, bought at Best Buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The refurb is $350 from Apple.
    You were correct.
    The shell is replaced on the refurb, so basically new.

It'd still be $440 for me, after tax, bought at Best Buy.
    Gotcha. I thought I read 350.00 somewhere but didn't remember the detail and the bestbuy.com advertisement threw me off.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Amazon has a free PC ebook reader software thing. You can then get free ebooks from Amazon to practice with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have Amazon Prime, you can get free streaming videos now, too:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2F...reative=390957
    Lots of movies, lots of TV shows.

$80 for unlimited "eligible" videos. (Which is quite a bit.)
    Plus free 2-day shipping on physical goods ordered.

I bet, in time, that will extend to ebooks, too.

And a price increase.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep read the thing about amazon prime the other week.

@lordsmurf - I saw in a flyer today about a samsung tablet - galaxy I think it was.

If I remember right it was about 250.00. It ran android 2.2 and was a 7inch screen. I think it was office max or depot. I don't think it was the big boys. Could have been target not sure now.

I'd check it out as an alternative to the ipad - that would save you almost 200.00.

It won't be as sexy or sleek as an ipad and it will be the last gen android not a xoom. However at that price you could still do a lot with it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Amazon has a free PC ebook reader software thing. You can then get free ebooks from Amazon to practice with.
    It's called Kindle4PC. They also have apps for android devices, iPad, iPod, etc. Those apps are for reading ebooks formatted for the Kindle on non-Kindle devices.
    Beware of "free" books from Amazon. To be sure, there are plenty of free books, but many of the books listed as free are not complete works. Some publishers put out "free books" that only contain 2 or 3 sample chapters, and if you want the full story, you have to buy the full ebook at Agency prices (which Amazon makes it extremely simple to do with a single click). By itself this isn't a bad advertising mechanism, but they often don't indicate they are samples, so it seems kind of underhanded.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    E-book readers I am a little blind and I read e-books on the computer ( software ' Calibre ' and ' Kindle for PC ' ) and on a kindle .
    It is possible to find software which will comvert Amazon files to other formats .
    I think the Sony E-book reader is probably easier to navigate and to use than a kindle . It is more expensive .
    If you want to be completely portable get an e-reader . Otherwise use a small lap top --bigger screen , easier to instruct and control ,
    more choice of formats . And of course , all the facilities of a normal computer including a bigger , more readable screen and bigger
    fonts for people with poor eyesight . I wish I had discovered e-reading long ago . ---- Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    that would save you almost 200.00.
    Unfortunately, I think this is a situation where I have to just suck it up and buy the real thing. Imitations simply will not suffice. More and more, I'm getting questions about videos, docs or sites working on iPad, and I get rather tired having to say "I don't know."

Plus I have many PDFs that I want to read, and sitting at a computer sucks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    More and more, I'm getting questions about videos, docs or sites working on iPad, and I get rather tired having to say "I don't know."
    Umm.... Could that be a write-off for business expenses??? Research and stuff????

Wouldn't hurt to ask a tax expert (half serious about it you know)

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    suck it up and buy the real thing. Imitations simply will not suffice
    Yeah I know sometimes "the real thing" is the only way to go. I love tinkering to a point but there are times I just want something to just plain work without a hassle.

As much as I am anti-apple I have to admit their stuff does work. Though I despise the apple "culture" and snootiness of some of the apple "elite" but I'll give it to em that it does work.

And I have to admit that mp3 players probably wouldn't be so affordable and varied if competitors didn't want to take a piece of the apple pie they made.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Umm.... Could that be a write-off for business expenses??? Research and stuff????
    It would be. But I still have to have money to buy it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It would be. But I still have to have money to buy it.
    Ah gotcha - that whole chicken and the egg thing. Yeah too bad retailers won't take a promissory note first - you'll get your money AFTER my refund......
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I snagged a brand new iPad 32GB 1st gen from the Verizon store for $399 vs. the 20 or so 16GB ones I was trying to win on ebay that ultimately went for $425+. WTH? Anyway, I'm loving it and I am far from being one of the Apple/Mac kool-aid drinkers. I bought it primarily as a PDF e-reader, but some of the apps are pretty killer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I have an iPad 2 16gb wi-fi only on order (stuck in Hong Kong right now)
    I'm also going to order a Nook color. They just updated the OS and now it's more like a full fledged tablet
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056488-1.html?tag=topStories3

The nook can also be rooted to run a full Android OS if you don't want to run B/N limited version
    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1600&bih=849&source=hp&q=how+to+...oot+nook+color
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just read on cnet that it appears AMAZON is getting ready to release a full fledged tablet. I assume that it would play the amazon instant video files - the ones you purchase for download to your pc. I am not in the market for a tablet and won't be for some time. But that has me intrigued if it can do amazon videos natively and perhaps a streaming option from amazon?

At the very least more competition is always a good thing in electronics. At the very least it keeps those in the lead on their toes and pushes innovation - usually.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use my Kindle I bought this year. for me it's been great for reading my fav books!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Nook, the ereader not the tablet. I love it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use the ePub plugin for firefox
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote