VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello all, can you please tell me which is the best free video converter. like avi to dvd that will play on dvd players etc. also blu ray if possible, can you give a link please as well, thanks gep
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best: AVStoDVD with HCEnc.
    Easiest: Freemake Video Converter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mutliavchd is a good free one to use if you need avchd output for high definition files.

I second the recommendation for avstodvd.

Another useful tool to have on hand is format factory - its kind of a swiss army knife of video converters. Tons of output options and has great input compatibility with different file/codec types.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I like super in windows and handbrake in os x any os.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks everyone for your replies. could not get avstodvd to even find avi files on my desktop to convert to mp4 etc. so will try format factory. thanks again, gep
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gepuk2001
    could not get avstodvd to even find avi files on my desktop to convert to mp4 etc.
    I'm not sure I follow. All you have to do is drag and drop the file into avstodvd. It should read most any input files. Also you can go through a standard folder browser like in any windows program.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. hello all, just me uselss at this kind of stuff. using format factory, seems ok. need some help in converting please. from an avi film, what format do i need to convrt it to, to be able to watch it on any or most dvd players?? tried to convert from avi to mp4, dvd player does not recognise it. thanks for your help, gep
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd has to be mpeg2. format factory also has a vob output. Vob is what goes in a dvd structure. But you need to author it to work properly in a dvd player. Use avstodvd to do this. You can also use it to work directly with the original file as I had mentioned in the previous post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi For Converting Blu-ray, HD to mkv.

I've tried most of the free and commercial HD converters and I find both XMedia Recode and VidCoder are excellent. Great quality at a very small size.

Vidcoder is similar to Handbrake.

I find that XMedia Recode is much faster after the latest version upgrade.

PS - I found converting movies with the Adaptive DCT, and 8x8 Tranform settings enabled led to incompatablity issues with my Tevion HD Media player and Soniq Blu-ray player. Files would not play.

Don't notice any difference in quality with these switched off.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    your search should start and end with media coder, easily the best free video app, bar none. it even eclipses most commercial apps.

since version rc3 5050 it even supports the intel media encoder, for both h264 and mpeg-2, in hardware and software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. hello all, have changed files to mpeg 2 using avstodvd, or i think i have?? what next do i need to do?? can anyone tell me would purchasing this program make it simpler for my old shrinking brain??? http://www.topshareware.com/AVI-to-MPEG-Converter-download-10407.htm Thanks again for all your patience and help, gep
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're making a dvd and wanted a menu or not you should have outputted a dvd folder structure the first time with avstodvd. you would select it in the output mode.

However all is not lost you will just use up more space.

You can use avstodvd to make a dvd from your mpeg2 you just made. Just load it and tell it to make a dvd folder structure - you can make a menu if you want. It will be the size of your mpeg file more or less - on top of it since it has to use the mpeg file as the source.

You can delete the mpeg file after you make the dvd folder if you want. Then use the free imgburn program to burn the dvd folder to a dvdr.

Yes you can buy a program if you want but you will still have to learn it even if its a basic point and click wizard program. You have to know what you want out of the program.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gepuk2001 View Post
    hello all, can you please tell me which is the best free video converter. like avi to dvd that will play on dvd players etc. also blu ray if possible, can you give a link please as well, thanks gep
    I wrote one myself: https://csharpsoftwareza.blogspot.com/2018/09/video-converter.html
    Quote Quote