VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using VOB2MPG PRO for some time now. A nice application that has worked fine for me.

Last week I installed Windows 7 Pro Service pack 1, and ever since then I can not get my VOV2MPG PRO to work. Trying to run it brings up an activity icon for about one second and then nothing.

Tried to re-install the application many different ways, and the install stops with the error: "The older version of VOB2MPG PRO can not be removed".

I have done everything I could including a "hard un-install" (using a 3rd party uninstaller) as well as manually removing all references to BadgerIT and DVD2MPG... from the registry. Yet I can not install the PRO version. Even tried reinstalling the "non-pro" version in hopes that running the PRO version install would find it and do an automatic removal. But even the original non-pro version gives me the same error.

Note that prior to my installing the latest Win7 service pack, VOB2MPG PRO was working fine for several months.

System is a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine. Anyone else run into this?

- Rich
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May i suggest using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from Microsoft. You can get it here:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

It will remoive the MSI info for the program which will allow you to reinstall.
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think it is only the Service Pack that he installed ChrissyBoy....not the complete Windows 7 install.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. What i believe has happened is that SP1 (win 7) increments the windows build number significantly and so the program think it is a different computer. Hence the need to reinstall (and thus re-register) the program.

The problem of not being able to uninstall the older version is down to windows not being able to find the original MSI. The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will remove the entries associated with the VOB2MPG PRO Installer (MSI) and so it can be installed once more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it may be best to uninstall vob2mpg pro before installing service pack 1?
    This way you avoid any trouble i guess?
    And install vob2mpg pro after you install service pack 1 would not be causing any trouble?

afaik is the installer cleanup tool not for windows 7 and is discontinued by microsoft.
    i wouldn't recommend this for use on anything beyond windows xp ( i've used it on windows xp wich did'nt cause any trouble)
    check this page : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/windows-in...5-389918e7a286
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    So it may be best to uninstall vob2mpg pro before installing service pack 1?
    This way you avoid any trouble i guess?
    And install vob2mpg pro after you install service pack 1 would not be causing any trouble?
    Yes you can do that but it doesn't really matter. The problem the poster has is uninstalling which i suspect would be there regardless of SP1. It is the way Windows Installer works.... it needs certain files to exist to uninstall a program and they may have been mistakenly removed at some point.... (i have had grief with this over the years with several programs etc).

Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    afaik is the installer cleanup tool not for windows 7 and is discontinued by microsoft.
    i wouldn't recommend this for use on anything beyond windows xp ( i've used it on windows xp wich did'nt cause any trouble)
    check this page : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/windows-in...5-389918e7a286
    You are correct. It is no longer supported by Microsoft. It does work on Windows 7 and if used just to remove the VOB2MPG PRO installer keys it should be ok. The reason Microsoft discontinued it was due to its use of fixing problems with Office installations. It was origianally writen to solve installation problems with Office and was found that it would also remove components that programs other than Office required. In the case of using it to remove the VOB2MPG PRO MSI keys - i see no problem. Although one may probably use another 3rd party installer to do the same. (i know that this has already been tried but some are better than others).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem the poster has is uninstalling which i suspect would be there regardless of SP1
    crissyboy: you are right i think because we can't know for sure if this problem existed before installing sp1 or that it is caused by sp1.
    So i tried to uninstall my pro version on windows 7 sp0 64 bit and it worked as it should be. so in principal there should be no problem if you uninstall before sp1 and re-install after.

So the only option the poster has is, like crissyboy suggested, is to use the installer cleanup tool to get rit of all traces of the old version.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow lot's of input to my original post. Thanks guys. Still no joy. Some history.

VOB2MPG PRO was installed right after I installed Win 7 Pro 64. That was a "new" install of Windows. At that time VOB2Mpg Pro installed properly and has worked to date. (I'm archiving a ton of my DVD collections to my home theater Movies hard drive). The VOB2Mpg Pro has already converted a little more than 100 of my collection so far. No problems.

Four days ago I installed Win7 SP 1. The next time I went to use VOB2MPG Pro the program would not start.

Originally I could not even uninstall the program at all. But I did what I call a "Deep Scan" with various utilities and pruned the registry manually and the PC was now clean with no VOB2MPG references anywhere in the system.

Tried to re-install and got the aforementioned error. I didn't see where running the MSI uninstall clean up utility would do any good. I've never needed to use it before, and "have" done very complicated system work that I believe was in effect doing what the MS Clean utility was doing. But I tried it anyway .. And for some reason, the MS application would not install.

I read all the posts, and MS knowledge base info etc. and was a little confused about MS's own wording about how this utility was not compatible with my 64 bit system and could do some damage .. but then again I've seen some references from various people that it COULD be used in a Win 7 64 bit system. In any case I could not get it to install at all.

So after I did my own "clean up" again, I installed the "non-pro" version of VOB2Mpg. And that installed fine and I've used it a few times this afternoon with no issues. I again tried to install the "Pro" version only to get the same error.

I did found that IF I did NOT close the error window I could browse and find the folder and program installed. All the files seem to intact. AND when I tried to run the executable I was prompted to do the "registration" again. So I did. Point being that the program seemed to have been installed and wanted to be registered (which I assume is the first thing when you run the program for the first time). So with the "error window", still not closed, I found it left all my install folders and files intact. That is UNTIL I closed the error window. At that time the installation package reversed it's course and erased all the folders and files it created. And my system is back to normal with NO trace of VOB2MPG anywhere.

It's a puzzle for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe un-installing the service pack wil solve this problem, so that the windows version number is correct to vob2mpg pro and then try to un-install.

The only thing left to try is to use system restore to a date prior to the installed service pack, restart the system, un-install the vob2mpg pro version the normal way and reinstall the service pack again.

If reinstall doesn't work you can try to rightclick the vob2mpg pro install msi file and choose un-install in the menu. (the install file must be on the hardrive not on a networkdrive) or choose repair in the same menu to try repair vob2mpg pro.

If that doesn't work .... i think you have no other option then re-install windows, and install the service pack first before installing vob2mpg pro.

let us know
    Quote Quote  
  10. The service pack has been removed. System restored to point prior to the SP 1 install.

Still can not install VOB Pro. However the Free version installs and works fine.

Can the developer give me some details on the VOB2Mpg Pro executable. (Not the install) I restored an image of my D: (program and data drive) to a test drive just I could check the VOB2Mpg Pro program folder and files.

As was installed before the SP2 installed was:

VOB2MPG PRO, Version 3.0.0710, (903 kb) with a date of 09/27/2010.

What the most current *.msi install package is trying to install NOW is:

VOB2MPG.EXE, Version 3.2.2000.0 (698 kb) with a date of 11/24/2010

Note! The VOB2MPG.EXE that I see trying to be installed is the only *.EXE available to me. I can pause the install at the error window and browse to the partially installed program folder and check the executable. I may be all wet here as I did of course halt the install before it uninstalled itself. Could be the MSI install package wasn't to the point of installing the MPG PRO version yet ???

However I can guarantee that the version that worked before the SP change was different. As a force of habit I usually download and install the latest available version, but this time failed to back up the original (older? Pro version) .. and now all I have this "new" MSI package which obviously has a different program source. The problem now is (I think) that even though I have my system reverted to pre-SP 1 times, I'm still trying to install the newer VOB2Mpg PRO.

If I could get the older MSI install package with the older VOV2Mpg PRO source program , I would be able to try to install THAT. I know it DID install originally .. But I don't have original to try. Help ??

<edit> Update. For kicks I just just installed the newest MSI install of VOB2MPG Pro into a virtual XP system on this same PC. Of course the install worked fine. However that install (running in the virtual xp mode) is nothing like the older version I have running in Win 7. Many new options and changes. Obviously the problem has been simplified somewhat.

WINDOW 7 Pro 64 bit
    Trying to install OLD version 3.0.0710
    Runs fine in XP
    Runs in in win 7 IF installed BEFORE SP 1
    Will not run after SP 1 installed
    Will not install with SP 1 installed

Trying to install NEW version 3.3.2.2000.0
    Will not install with SP 1 installed
    Will not install without SP installed

Windows XP PRO
    Installs and runs everywhere both versions.

I don't know why the new version MSI and program install actually gives the message that it can't uninstall the old version. There is NO old version on the system.

I would love to get the new version installed so I can make use of the new features. But for now, I'll make do with the VOB2MPG PRO older version that DOES work okay in my system. Sigh .....
    Last edited by Rich_A; 27th Feb 2011 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. Drop me an email and I'll send you 3.0.0710. Perhaps getting that installed will allow you go migrate to the latest version.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy View Post
    ok. Drop me an email and I'll send you 3.0.0710. Perhaps getting that installed will allow you go migrate to the latest version.....
    Thanks .. Got the install package. But it also won't install. The attempt give me an error saying "The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel."
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have sent you an email with a manual approach....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Just For information, my problem may have had an unrelated cause.

Had a similar problem myself, in so far as after installing SP1 VOB2MPG would not start.

I am on Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, with VOB2MPG version 3.2.200.

Was able to uninstall through Control Panel and then deleted remaining contents of directory.

Then reinstalled same version which is now working OK.

However while I did not count them before uninstalling, there seem to be now about twice as many files in directory as there were before.

It may be that the installation of SP1 has deleted some files in the VOB2MPG directory, but I have no way of checking.

Malcolm
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem using 64 bit Win 7 and couldn't figure out why it wasn't starting. I was able to get it working though and it was pretty simple.

Uninstalled from control panel, it still left the directory in the x86 folder I originally installed it in (C:\Program Files (x86)\VOB2MPG PRO) so I went and re-named that directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\VOB2MPG PRO (old) and re-installed the full version. It generated a new machine code and went through the registration process just fine and then started up fine.

So far no problems ...

Oh yeah I'm using Build 3.0.0520 of VOB2MPG PRO
    Last edited by Jasonbm76; 6th Apr 2011 at 10:01. Reason: Added program version
    Quote Quote  
  16. After giving up on this problem for a month, I decided to give it one more try. Chrissyboy sent me an email with some things to try. Over the last couple days I've been trying everything possible to get Vob2Mpg Pro to work.

I deleted several registry entries referred to by Chrissyboy, and also did a deep scan. There are no references of any kind in the registry regarding the product keys, or folders, names etc.

And yet I can not install the program. I get the error "The older version of VOB2MPG cannot be removed" (see attached screen shots) I believe I also got the error "The installer encountered an unexpected error installing this package. .... The error code is 2932"

That second one came about when I tried using the setup file instead of the MSI file. What I can't fathom is WHY the installer keeps telling me about it can't remove the older version of VOB2MPG Pro. WHERE is the older version hiding ?? Also removed the Win 7 64-bit Service pack 1, which is what originally broke VOB2MPG Pro. So I'm now back to a pre-service pack 1 version. Still no joy.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 015.jpg
Views:	1743
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	6346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 016.jpg
Views:	1694
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	6347  

Quote Quote  
  17. I too lost my ability to run VOB2MPG PRO when the service pack was released. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, run as administrator, installed to c:\vob2mpg and vob2mpg pro, but no luck.

What's weird is that the program will run...occasionally. Maybe one time over the course of a week it will start up. Usually I start it, get nothing on screen, and I see the process disappear in Task Manager after 30 seconds or so. It's like there's some timing problem at startup (something with the registration would be my guess).

I used this software all the time, but I'm about at the end of my rope. <sigh>
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hawkinsb View Post
    I too lost my ability to run VOB2MPG PRO when the service pack was released. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, run as administrator, installed to c:\vob2mpg and vob2mpg pro, but no luck.

What's weird is that the program will run...occasionally. Maybe one time over the course of a week it will start up. Usually I start it, get nothing on screen, and I see the process disappear in Task Manager after 30 seconds or so. It's like there's some timing problem at startup (something with the registration would be my guess).

I used this software all the time, but I'm about at the end of my rope. <sigh>
    You are not alone. I've given up as I just can't even get the full paid for version to work. So I'm now working with the older free version which works perfectly with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and with or without SP 1. Being downgraded, I just ignore the nag screen about the paid version being faster. I'm going to build up a test computer and when I have the time I'll start from scratch and see what if I can get the latest paid for version to install in win 7 64-bit with service pack 1.

Please note that I installed the paid for upgrade PRIOR to the Service pack 1. The full version of VOB2MPG was working just fine on my computer .. the problem only happened after I installed SP1.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Rich_A View Post
    You are not alone. I've given up as I just can't even get the full paid for version to work. So I'm now working with the older free version which works perfectly with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and with or without SP 1. Being downgraded, I just ignore the nag screen about the paid version being faster. I'm going to build up a test computer and when I have the time I'll start from scratch and see what if I can get the latest paid for version to install in win 7 64-bit with service pack 1.

Please note that I installed the paid for upgrade PRIOR to the Service pack 1. The full version of VOB2MPG was working just fine on my computer .. the problem only happened after I installed SP1.
    I guess it's worth noting that we are in the exact same situation.

I paid for the full version when I was using Windows 7 64-bit pre-SP1, and after the upgrade to SP1, I can't get it to run. Well, at least 99% of the time. Every once in a while it fires up just fine...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by hawkinsb View Post
    Originally Posted by Rich_A View Post

I guess it's worth noting that we are in the exact same situation.

I paid for the full version when I was using Windows 7 64-bit pre-SP1, and after the upgrade to SP1, I can't get it to run. Well, at least 99% of the time. Every once in a while it fires up just fine...
    My situation is a bit different. After messing around with it for a few months, I now am to the point where I can NOT even install the Pro version. I keep getting that aforementioned error about it not being able to remove the old version. I guess you can actually get it installed .. but not working .. or won't start all the time. Here I can't get it to install at all. It's like there is something in the Windows system that telling the install application that there is still an older version on the system. I've already tried everything Chrissyboy suggested, ie. looking in the registry for various settings unique to VOB2MPG. I think the only way I will be able to get it to work at all, is to install 7 from scratch. And I'd rather put up with the working non-pro version than go that route.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I had the same problem with VOB2MPG Pro following installation of Windows7 SP1 and got round it (after reading various posts here) simply by re-running the registration program (VOB2MPG demo). This generated a new registration key and the main program now works OK. Luckily, I didn't try and re-install the actual software or I may have been up the creek without a paddle!

Hope my solution works for others in this position.

Regards,

Lyn Greenwood
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lyn.greenwood View Post
    Hi there,

I had the same problem with VOB2MPG Pro following installation of Windows7 SP1 and got round it (after reading various posts here) simply by re-running the registration program (VOB2MPG demo). This generated a new registration key and the main program now works OK. Luckily, I didn't try and re-install the actual software or I may have been up the creek without a paddle!

Hope my solution works for others in this position.

Regards,

Lyn Greenwood
    GENIOUS!! Thank you. I had the same problem of the program not starting after Windows 7 SP1. Did what you said here and presto! Thanks for saving me tons of time!
    Quote Quote