VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here is my question. Could the in-movie experience disc icon that is displayed on bluray and hd-dvd movies lead to burn-in issues?

I have started watching some of my hd-dvd movies with the in-movie icon with my hd-dvd drive for my xbox 360. I'm disappointed the disc icon appears to stay on screen during the whole movie. This happens on my matrix trilogy I have on hd-dvd as well as the Matrix reloaded disc I have on bluray (yes I rebought a matrix movie on bluray even though I have the hd-dvd trilogy box set - for some damn reason the reloaded disc refuses to be recognized in my xbox hd-dvd add on drive hence the reason I bought it again on bluray).

Now on my ps3 I have it connected via hdmi and I have the zoom feature available on my hdtv set. So long term if icon burn-in is possible I can simply use the overscan feature of my hdtv. It crops the hell out of the nice widescreen movie but at least I can still see the pop up videos during the in-movie experience session.

The trouble is my xbox is connected via the vga input. I cannot use my tvs zoom feature for some reason on this input mode. Nor does the normal xbox 360 zoom interface work with the hd-dvd drive. It does have a player zoom feature but so far as I know it will not let you watch a whole movie while zoomed - I believe it has some time limit and then it goes back to oar.

So is this a concern? The movies I want to watch with the in-movie experience are all around two hours or longer. I don't want to risk screen burn in.

Fyi the set is a 60 hz 32" lcd by westinghouse (1366x768 native resolution).

Am I worrying about nothing?

Last night when I was watching the first matrix with the in-movie experience I made sure I flipped to my cable dvr every ten minutes or so for a minute at a time to avoid possible burn in.

I can look up my tv model number if that would provide more detail on whether or not my set is susceptible to burn-in at all.

Your insight is appreciated. Thanks.

----------------------

Also if anyone knows of a way to get rid of that damn disc icon while playing the in-movie experience on either an xbox 360 or ps3 please let me know.

------------------------

I've been toying with the idea of capturing the in-movie experience with my hdpvr and then reencode with a black mask over the top of the black bars but that would take a lot of time. I'm also not sure how to cover a black border and maintain the aspect ratio and what I would use to reencode that while keeping hd - would multiavchd have a masking feature to reencode the h264 from a hauppauge hdpvr and keep the high def but block out the damn icon?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. LCD displays don't suffer from burn in.

Even if they did, encoding a black mask over the icon wouldn't help. It would cause anti burn in. Burn in is a problem limited to devices with phosphors. The more they are used the less light they put out. Overwriting with a black box would cause the phosphors in the box to age less slowly than the rest of the display. So you would get a bright burned in pattern, not a dark one.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Feb 2011 at 08:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    LCD displays don't suffer from burn in.
    I did not know that.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    encoding a black mask over the icon wouldn't help. It would cause anti burn in.---- Overwriting with a black box would cause the phosphors in the box to age less slowly than the rest of the display. So you would get a bright burned in pattern, not a dark one.
    Interesting. So that would have the opposite effect I was looking for.

So on a lcd set I don't have to worry about the little icon staying in the same place for two hours then? Thanks jagabo.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    So on a lcd set I don't have to worry about the little icon staying in the same place for two hours then?
    You don't have to worry about it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's one of the benefits of LCD over Plasmas! I have both and while each has their pros/cons, I like my LCD better. On my Plasma, I can see ghost images of the PS3 main screen after only 5 mins! While it does go away, I'm afraid it may suffer from burn-in eventually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo and mrswla.
    Quote Quote