VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And someone PLEASE show me the EXIF data of a cell phone JPEG that contains geotags(or GPS) data.
    Here's one (taken with an iphone 3gs) as shown at "Jeffrey's Exif Viewer" web page. If the tide level in the cellphone photo was similar to the tide level in the satellite image, there appears to be a minimum of 4 meter error in the gps.

On another topic:

Since my earlier post, in which I noted the copyright and gps fields, an acquaintance said I should also have mentioned the SerialNumber field. To provide justification for his concern, he provided this link, in which Canon representatives may have volunteered unsolicited information. As a result, if you registered your camera with the manufacturer, or have taken it in for service, and your camera make/model provides the SerialNumber in the metadata...and you are a whistleblower, or a copyright infringer, or just don't want your photos to be traceable back to you (for any other reason)...it would be a good idea to also check the SerialNumber field (if present) and, if necessary, clear the field with ExifTool, or re-save the photo in most any image editing software before posting any of the images online.

Other than that, metadata in image files is still a good thing...and there still isn't much point in paying for exif software when ExifTool (and ExifToolGUI) are free.
    Quote Quote  
  2. @ VegasBud. Out of curiosity I looked a some jpegs my son emailed me from his Iphone with ExifToolGUI. If present where would the GPS info be listed?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hudsonf,

In ExifToolGUI (no matter what you want to do):
    In the leftmost pane, select the directory where the image file is located
    In the center pane, select the image file you want to work with

To just see the gps fields present:
    Click the "Exif" button on the top of the rightmost pane
    The gps fields should all be grouped together at the bottom of the rightmost pane (for the iphone files I've looked at)

To modify the gps fields:
    Click the "^" button just below the "Exif" button at the top of the rightmost pane
    In the "EXIF" window which pops up, select the "Various" tab
    Modify the data to suit your purpose, and click the "Save" button on the bottom right

To delete all the gps fields and their data in one easy step:
    In the menus, click "Modify"
    At the bottom of the now expanded "Modify" menu, click "Remove metadata" (at the bottom)
    In the "Remove Metadata" window which pops up, put a checkmark next to "-EXIF:GPS" (and nothing else)
    Click the "Execute" button at the bottom-right.
    A little window pops up which says "1 image files updated"...just click the "OK" button and you're done

If you check the exif data (in the rightmost part of the window), you'll see that all gps fields have been removed.

By the way, if you want to delete all the gps fields and their data for multiple files at once, just select all the files you want to "clean" in the middle pane, and then proceed as above.
    Quote Quote  
  4. He must have it turned off. I don't see anything listed for gps.
    Quote Quote