VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I run a video production company and had relied on Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (Premium line) for years. Ever since they switched to JVC, my Panasonic stand-alone recorders has been giving me trouble. They won't recognize, fail to finalize, get stuck in my machines and force my recorders into recovery mode.

I decided to try Spin-X DVD-R and so far I'm happy with them but I occasionally have a problem with them. They work great but sometimes fail to finalize.

Can someone recommend a good reliable DVD media please. It has to be White top (doesn't need to be printable but no logos), premium line, less than $30 per spindle of 100.

I tried looking in Videohelp's DVD Media section but it seems very out of date and a lot of the media I look up aren't even on the list.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just buy Taiyo Yuden blanks from Rima.com - Taiyo Yuden didn't "switch to JVC"....Taiyo Yuden bought JVC's recordable media arm.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try looking here for DVD info: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Quote Quote  
  4. Red, Thanks for the website, it's interesting but there's so much media that it doesn't talk about. I don't even see Spin-X on there and I have come to appreciate Spin-X a bit.

Hech, I thought JVC bought out Taiyo Yuden. JVC now produces the TY brand. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know if Microboards Taiyo Yuden DVDs are any good? I see 600 Silver Thermal Laquer Microboards DVDs for $53 including the shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/microboard-taiyo-yuden-dvd-r47val600sk-600-pack-8x-dvd-r-silve...214522504.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Having spent many years fiddling and farting about with AV gear of different sorts, I am constantly reminded of the instances of coincidence and Murphys law, could it be that the stand alone burners are wearing out, or that the latest batch of discs you have bought are 16x rather than 8 x (Which I find far more reliable).

Before blaming the media do some test burns on a computer, just burn 2 or 3 with anything and see if they then play okay in the Panasonics.

Different subject, but I once had a Austin 1100 and it broke down just the other side of tower bridge, the AA guy came , fixed it and followed me to make sure, it then broke down again, I asked what went wrong, he said oh you didn't see the elephant crossing the road, in other words he didn;t have a clue.

Sometimes things do not have a reliable answer.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hech, wow I never realized it was the other way around. But if the Disks are exactly the same then why do they no longer work in my recorders? The problem started once my wholesaler started supplying the JVC-branded TY DVDs.

Victoria, I've been in the business for 15 years myself. I researched online and I thoroughly dug in the forums for advice and information on the TY, so I can honestly say I didn't jump to a conclusion.

I have 8 DVD recorders; I've had 6 of them for several years now but 2 of them are just months old. When the TY DVDs started giving trouble, the first thing I did was test different brands on my recorders. The HP, Verbatim, and Memorex disks that I put in my recorders never failed. I recorded the full 2 hours worth and then finalized them and I got no errors. This is what led me to believe that there's something wrong with the TY disks and not my recorders.

TY disks work fine for me when burning in my computers but they also started giving me trouble when using my duplication system. I use duplication towers, not the systems with the mechanical arms. They would pass a test and burn but there would be rings in the dye on the bottom. The other brands would not give me rings in the same drives.

I am not just an ignorant spammer just looking to trash TY's name. I have been loyal to TY for the past 6 years. I wish I could stick with TY disks but I can't take the risk of giving customers defective DVDs and I can't afford to lose the time in redoing jobs.
    Last edited by cynikalhedonist; 23rd Feb 2011 at 14:06.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex discs are crap. Always have been.

OK, we get that you have some kind of weird TY issue that nobody else has ever reported. Is there a reason why you will not use Verbatim? Avoid their cheap junk "Life" series though. Their DataLifePlus discs are fine. Still made in Taiwan by MCC as always. Here's one link:
    http://www.rima.com/prod/97016.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Jman, I know Memorex are crap but my point was that they worked. I don't plan on using Memorex. I used to hear bad things about Verbatim, but maybe it was the Life series that I heard about. I will try out the DataLifePlus disks.

The only thing that I'm curious about is why is the 50-pack $12.99 and the 100 pack $30.99. The description is exactly the same. Is there a difference between the two? If not, I'll just buy the 50 packs since they're cheaper.

Item 97016 - 100 pack
    Item 1879 - 50 pack

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you are aware you can access the manufactures media code on a DVD disc and see who actually made it, as compared with a brand name anyone can stamp on it. You might check your Spin-X discs and see who made them. https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediaform.php?dvdinfo=1#dvdinfo
    Quote Quote  
  11. With the Spin-X I can, but I can't check the media code on the disks that I don't currently have in my possession.

I've also been looking for cheap reliable media for my own personal stuff to use as back-ups. I'm sure there's gotta be at least one or two gems that I could get among all the cheap bootleg DVD-R media. I want a good dvd that I can get 100-packs for $10.
    Quote Quote