VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Acer 22" desktop LCD monitor that just went black. I believe it has 3-year warranty but could not find the invoice. Best Buy could not also find it in my purchases history. I am willing to pay up to $50 if it can be repaired. $100 for repair is out of the question. Today, TigerDirect has 23" of the same brand on sale for $140 with $10 shipping. So, you think someone will repair it for $50? I want to save money here and of course help the environment (ahem)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Repair for $50 or less on any kind of electronics is doubtful unless it is something you can do yourself with a purchased replacement part and maybe a soldering iron.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing the florescent backlight died. Maybe the florescent tube itself or the power supply for it. Or the main power supply may have failed if you see no indicator lights. I really doubt you can get it repaired for ~$50.

No idea if this will work, but shine a bright light parallel with the screen when it's on and has a signal going to it and see if you can spot any sign of the LCD display working. If not, probably a major part failure.

You might be able to sell it on E-Bay for parts. I saw a LCD display for sale last year with an obvious bullet hole through the screen. No idea if any one over bought it, even for parts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A lot of bad caps were used in all kinds of electronics. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can replace them for a few dollars. Look for leaking caps or caps with bulging tops or sides. Especially in the power supply.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
    http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/kt3.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys.

I connected the monitor to another PC. It got some picture for maybe two seconds then blacks out. The "power-on" light is still lit. I'm not good in this type of thing so I think it's time to buy a new one. One PC repair shop in our place said they do not repair desktop monitor. I can understand why.
    Quote Quote