VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Was looking at the software section on the site, some thing have good reviews, some bad, some have a mix of both. Just wondered if anyone knew of a very simple program to convert PAL DVDs to NTSC?

I looked at some articles, but... most have a step by step guide involving a half dozen different programs. I was hoping for a program that's as simple to use as DVDShrink, except in this case, to convert rather than compress.

Thanks

Oh ya, prefer PC (WinXP) but I also own a MAC (OSX 10.5) so for either OS works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you only want to do this to play them get one of these :-

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/video-2/multiregion-dvd-players-120/
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
    Was looking at the software section on the site, some thing have good reviews, some bad, some have a mix of both. Just wondered if anyone knew of a very simple program to convert PAL DVDs to NTSC?
    There isn't one. It's such a labor intensive process that I tell people if you need to do it more than 2 times, you need to just spend the money and buy a DVD player that can convert PAL DVDs to NTSC video for playback. Note that you'll lose the menus in the conversion because there is no good way to convert menus between PAL and NTSC.

Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
    but I also own a MAC (OSX 10.5)
    You'll have to use your Windows PC to get this done unless you want to do it on a Mac in an even more convoluted and time consuming manner than any option under Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use something like ConvertXtoDVD. Not the best solution and if you want to keep all menus and stuff it's get much more complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's a shame... I had a multi-region LG player, when it died I decided to get a PS3. I'm not really a gamer but nice option to have, plus Blu-ray. Downside is the lack of multi-region.

I was hoping for a simple conversion program because I have a BIG collection, but only about 10 movies that are PAL so, not worth buying a second player for and having it take up space.

I'll just keep doing what I have setup now... I have TVersity sharing my DVD-ROM and set to convert when streaming to the PS3. Extra step I hoped to avoid and means the PC needs on to watch a movie but what can ya do. :S
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    agree with victoriabears...get a cheapo dvd player...a philips will do the job..its far more practical than converting over pal discs to ntsc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or just watch them on the PC, or feed the PC display card to the NTSC TV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Or just watch them on the PC, or feed the PC display card to the NTSC TV.
    That's what TVersity does, sorta... networks the PC and PS3 together for file sharing. Has a 'convert on the fly' option which comes in handy but, started copying my entire collection to a 2TB external and wanted to be able to play direct from that. Ah well, just hoped since I last asked the same question a few years back someone would have made an easy to use app. No biggie though.

I like my setup (I'm kinda a minimalist) so would rather re-buy the movies used off eBay than plug in another player for a small handful of movies I might watch once or twice a year.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're still on this kick eh.....

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329951-PS2-DVD-Region-Free-Code?p=2043672#post2043672

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331360-Zero-luck-with-creating-Region-Free-discs?p=...=1#post2053522

Another console fanboy......

They are game system's, not a multimedia, multiregion, multiformat player
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 21st Feb 2011 at 23:23.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Fanboy...? Well, I said I'm not a gamer, and as mentioned in the older thread I had an old PS2 that died over a year before getting a PS3. Only own 2 games. Not sure how that makes me a console fanboy... I simply don't want to buy another player for 10 movies if I can convert them for free and save them to a $0.20 disc.

Not even sure why you posted links to the other threads actually, they were more to do with the PS3 doing multiregion, now that I know it can't, I'm posting about converting the files. The fact that it's for a PS3 is irrelevant, it could easily be a DVD player or Blu-ray that doesn't do multiregion.

As for the PS3 not being a multimedia, multiregion, multiformat player... well, it plays games/music/video so it's multimedia, and plays mp3, wma, avi, mpg, etc... so multiformat as well. Just not multiregion.

... so, um... thanks for the help (?)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Like a dog with a bone....
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for the best solution to provide the best quality possible, because doing the simple conversion usually gives me jaggies and blurs.

I'm working on a NTSC project. It's gonna be Widescreen, but doesn't have to be HD. There will be a lot of cropping and resizing done in Premiere pro.

Some of the footage are PAL DVD 720x576@25fps in 4:3 aspect ratio. Is there any good solution to these PAL footages to keep the best quality possible.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pal to nstc ... considering the lose in height the only program I use is ulead studio 9 for this type of conversion ... it's one program and cheap in ebay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by diy_jj View Post
    I'm looking for the best solution to provide the best quality possible, because doing the simple conversion usually gives me jaggies and blurs.

I'm working on a NTSC project. It's gonna be Widescreen, but doesn't have to be HD. There will be a lot of cropping and resizing done in Premiere pro.

Some of the footage are PAL DVD 720x576@25fps in 4:3 aspect ratio. Is there any good solution to these PAL footages to keep the best quality possible.
    Vancouver has many high end post houses that can convert PAL tapes on state of art hardware standards converters like Snell and Wilcox.
    http://www.snellgroup.com/products/conversion-and-restoration/hd-standards-and-format-...plus-hd-cvr800
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Note that you'll lose the menus in the conversion because there is no good way to convert menus between PAL and NTSC.
    See, this is what I kept reading over and over but exporting the bmp sub-pic with dvdsubedit after changing the clut so the the background is white then resizing is easy. You can even do it from dvdsubedit with the open external editor function. I'm not sure what all programs can use an external bmp subpic though on your new NTSC menu or if you can just mux it with muxman.

For the menu video I used windvd maker cause it kept the length the same and audio stays the same that way (I demuxed and imported elementary video). Pretty much did it quick and dirty using paint on the subpic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick's suggestion to use ConvertxtoDVD does work. I didn't realize it but the program does convert,movie only,PAL to NTSC on the fly.
    Quote Quote