VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. As my title states, such is my situation. I'm trying to get virtualdub to work as my platform to open my video file, but it won't recognize it. I get an error message. Windows Media Player or VLC media player won't open it either, so I know it's definitely an error on my part.

I've looked at the avisynth site, youtube, tutorials...and although they offer tons of information (mostly scripting, etc.) no one offers the basics for an avisynth "dummy" as myself.

Here are the tools that I am currently working with: virtualdub version 1.6.19.0, avisynth version 2.5.8.5 and notepad.

Based on the information I've gathered, I've typed the following (example) on notepad:

directshowsource("C:\Users\mikey\Desktop\cartoon vob files\episodetitle")

But as I stated, it won't open it. Your advice is greatly appreciated. What am I doing wrong?

Oh by the way, these are MPEG files (vob) that I'm trying to open. But when I"ve tried to open avi files, I get the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What error message are you getting? Did you include the full file filename with extension? Eg:

directshowsource("C:\Users\mikey\Desktop\cartoon vob files\episodetitle.vob")

Do yourself a favor: turn off the Windows Explorer option to "hide extensions for known file types".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo,

How do I do that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Also, are spaces required in the parenthesis or can I put words separately? So would I type: (\cartoon vob files\) or (\cartoonvobfiles\)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    Also, are spaces required in the parenthesis or can I put words separately? So would I type: (\cartoon vob files\) or (\cartoonvobfiles\)
    See
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/First_script

And also I strongly recommend using AvsPmod to edit the scripts, as it has a lot of knowledge about Avisynth built in.

It can also help you create them:
    eg Edit/Insert/Source and choose your video file and it will try to make an appropriate "source" command to load it in the script.
    But there are usually several ways to do that and you may need to try another.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the file is in the same folder as the AVS script you don't need the full path name:

DirectShowSource("filename.vob")

How do I do that?
    I'm guessing you mean the Explorer file extension option. From an open Explorer window in XP select Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> disable "hide extensions for known file types". In Win7, from an open Explorer window select Organize -> Folder and search options -> View tab -> disable "hide extensions for known file types".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I once asked in an MS forum why they made it the default to hide the file suffix.
    I got an answer from an MS MVP, in a most arrogant manner, that they did because
    too many newbies renamed the file and without knowing what they were doing, also renamed the suffix.

Then the users didn't know why the proper program didn't open when they double-clicked the file.

However, with all the negatives associated with keeping it hidden, you would have thought
    there would have been a better solution...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Speaking of arrogance, I think Avisynth's entire system is arrogant to begin with. Everytime you read about it all you hear people parroting is "oh it's so powerful!" "look , the great and "powerful" Avisynth!". You look up Avisynth and the first sentence is "Avisynth is a ...(no surprise) Powerful! tool!

All hail the great and powerful Avisynth!

Of course, there are thre thousand rules to simply work an MPEG file (which most people use). My question is...if it's so powerful, why can't it just simply open up a file without so many pretentious requirements?

That's why I think I'll stick to Virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's almost as if it were created for the creators and their followers. Even the damn website's "newbie" section is vague!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok...seriously. I got it. Sarcasm won't get me anywhere here.

Is there anyone who can give me a straight answer on how to simply begin using avisynth?

The tutorial is vague.

Anyone? I just simply want to edit an mpeg file. Is it really that difficult to explain that a link to the tutorial had to be posted..even after I obviously stated that I couldn't understand it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all depends what you want to do..
    If you just want use the Avisynth services to open (frameserve) the file, you can use the various source
    statements such as avisource and directshowsource.

Use a simple one-line command such as this and open the script in Virtualdub .
    Go from there, depending on your specific requirements.

Avisynth consists of the core services and a bunch of user written plugins, provided and manitained by various developers
    around the world. Because of this, styles, naming conventions and usage methods vary and look complicated.

The best thing is to run some very basic scripts just to get you started then look into options regarding specific
    problems you need to solve.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to get virtualdub to work as my platform to open my video file, but it won't recognize it. I get an error message. Windows Media Player or VLC media player won't open it either, so I know it's definitely an error on my part.
    I think when there is a problem, you'll have to look at where the problem starts. WMP is a DirectShow player. If it doesn't play the file, don't expect Avisynth "DirectShowSource" can open it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. To open an MPG or VOB file with AviSynth's DirectShowSource() you must have a DirectShow MPG file reader and splitter installed, and a MPEG decoder. Otherwise Windows doesn't know what an MPG file is. Try Haali for the reader/splitter, ffdshow for the decoder.

If your filename or path has spaces the full path\filename should be in quotes:

DirectShowSource("C:\Users\mikey\Desktop\cartoon vob files\episodetitle.vob")
    Even if the path\name doesn't have spaces it doesn't hurt to have the quotes.

Unzip the attached file and put the resulting BAT file in your SendTo folder. Then you can right click on any file and create an AVS script by selecting SendTo -> AVS-DirectShowSource.bat. In Win7 your SendTo folder is:

C:\Users\mikey\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\S endTo

You can go their easily by selecting Start and typing "Shell:SendTo" into the run/search box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sendto.png
Views:	966
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	5739
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Feb 2011 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC is a pretty robust player designed to handle partial or broken video files. Granted it isn't quite as good as it used to be at this, I would still suspect that your video is motre the issue than the tools you have at hand. What does MediaInfo say about your file ?

As for tutorials offering mostly scripting for avisynth - that's kinf of the point, givem it is a script driven tool.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If your filename or path has spaces the full path\filename should be in quotes
    In fact, the quotes are always needed.
    String literals (which is what the name is syntactically) must always be explicitly delimited in the Avisynth language.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If your filename or path has spaces the full path\filename should be in quotes
    In fact, the quotes are always needed.
    String literals (which is what the name is syntactically) must always be explicitly delimited in the Avisynth language.
    Oh yes, sorry. I was thinking batch files because I was just writing some...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok...seriously. I got it. Sarcasm won't get me anywhere here.

Is there anyone who can give me a straight answer on how to simply begin using avisynth?

The tutorial is vague.

Anyone? I just simply want to edit an mpeg file. Is it really that difficult to explain that a link to the tutorial had to be posted..even after I obviously stated that I couldn't understand it?
    "Straight answer"? How insulting and arrogant and foolish could you be?

Every single question you've asked here has been clearly covered in the tutorial pages I linked.
    You didn't "obviously state" WHICH tutorial you had tried to read.
    It seemed pretty "obvious" that you never tried at all.

As you never bothered to quote the script you we having trouble make work.

THE WHOLE POINT OF AVISYNTH IS THAT YOU CAN USE AND REUSE SCRIPTS.

You can just post the script and get comments. Not force people to ask you 20 questions to work out what you've done.

But you can't be bothered to read a few paragraphs and want your hand held.

If you "simply want to edit an mpeg file", use an mpeg editor, like Womble.
    Avisynth, as its name implies, was originally designed to edit AVI files. If you want to edit other formats, you have to load it using a specific command. Which you have to look up the syntax for.

And that's all explained too in the comprehensive Avisynth wiki you can't bothered to read.

If you can't make that effort, you have no hope of using Avisynth at all. Give up now.
    I'm giving up trying to help you in any case.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I knew you'd crack at some point, Alan
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo, it worked! Plus your explanation made sense. Ok, now I'm getting somewhere. Now I just have to install Halaal, or whatever that is so that it can split the mpeg *crosses fingers* hope this works!

Hey, thanks for your help. And you too gunslinger.

And yes Alan, even you babe. Try to take it easy on me ok? I'm an avisynth DUMMY!!! But one day I'll get there, babe

Don't get me wrong, I read, and re-read, and re-read wiki. It just doesn't seem to make sense right now. But I promise it will some day. I promise.
    Last edited by unclescoob; 21st Feb 2011 at 21:52.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok slinger, I've got Haali and ffdshow both installed. When I double click on ffdshow I just get the installation option (which it's already installed).

So I've got all the tools and I'm tinkering with them, but I'm just ...well.....*sighs* Alan gave up on me Slinger so now I just have you. And we all know just how wonderful I've been doing on my own :\

But I promise that once I just manage to open this simple file and work it with Avysinth, I'll learn all the Avisynth filters all by myself. I just need a little hand in demistifying this stuff, y' know?

I too want to apply all the neat clean, deblock, de-ghost, de-this, de-that filters that everyone seems to sing praises to!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    whoops, sorry I meant jagabo. I guess this applies to you too slinger, since you've helped me a few times in the past too. Must've had you in mind. Hope all is well.
    Quote Quote  
  22. It's not clear to me -- were you finally able to open your VOB file with an AviSynth script? If not, do what AlanHK said. Post the script and the error message you get when you try to open it with VirtualDub.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Feb 2011 at 06:18.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo- No I wasn't abole to open the VOB file. So here's what I did just as a recap: I unzipped the DirectShowSource zip file you sent me. I attached the BAT file to the "send to" folder. I then right clicked on my .VOB video file and sent it to the DirectShowSource file in the "sent to folder". This created a duplicate file of my video with the "AVS" extension attached to the name of the file.

When I try opening it with Virtualdub, I get an error message.

Funny thing is, when I open that AVS file with notepad, I see the full DirectShowSource script. But I'm going to take you and Alan's advice...tonight I'll post the actual script AND the error message online.

Jagabo, quick question: Due to the necessity for the MPEG file to be read/split, I would not be able to do this without Haali, correct? I have Haali installed in my computer, but yet I'm having trouble opening this script with virtualdub. Am I supposed to do something in particular to this Haali file in order to work this thing? It's just there on my desktop.

Thanks!
    Last edited by unclescoob; 22nd Feb 2011 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    Due to the necessity for the MPEG file to be read/split, I would not be able to do this without Haali, correct?
    That is not correct. There are other MPG reader/splitters available. Many video editing packages come with them.

I have Haali installed in my computer, but yet I'm having trouble opening this script with virtualdub. Am I supposed to do something in particular to this Haali file in order to work this thing?
    After installing Haali it works in the background. It does install some links in the Start menu (Start -> All Programs -> Haali Media Splitter ->...) but you usually don't need to change any of the settings.

And after doing all this you'll find the DirectShowSource() isn't the best way to access VOB files. You're better off using DgIndex to build an index file and Mpeg2Source() to open that index file. You'll need to download the DgMpgDec package and install all the pieces.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You'll need to download the DgMpgDec package and install all the pieces.
    And then read the enclosed documentation 3 or 4 times. It'll provide great detail on opening MPEGs in VDub and is far and away the best way to handle MPEGs/VOBs from within AviSynth. Forget DirectShowSource.
    Speaking of arrogance, I think Avisynth's entire system is arrogant to begin with. Everytime you read about it all you hear people parroting is "oh it's so powerful!" "look , the great and "powerful" Avisynth!".
    Making uninformed statements like those aren't really the best way to get help around here. There's a learning curve, yes, but once you learn how it works you'll realize why it does the things it does the way it does them and you'll wonder how you lived without it for so long.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    thank you manono.

Jagabo, go figure...I'm now able to open MPEG files BUT realizing that it's almost impossible to add filters to them in this manner, I converted the file to AVI with virtualdub. I deinterlaced it while converting it (separate frames side by side).

Now when I try to open the script wit virtualdubmod, I get the following:

"No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x2000 audio stream to PCM."

Huh???
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    BUT realizing that it's almost impossible to add filters to them in this manner, I converted the file to AVI with virtualdub. I deinterlaced it while converting it (separate frames side by side).
    I'd say do it right or don't do it at all. Who says it's impossible to add filters when doing it this way? AviSynth has a wealth of built-in and third-party filters, all of which are available for use in the scripts. You can also use all VDub filters, either from within the AviSynth script or in VDub itself.

You almost certainly messed up by converting to AVI and deinterlacing in VDub, but there's not really enough information there to be sure what you did wrong. Maybe a small section of the source VOB (10 seconds with movement) would be helpful in figuring what you have and how best to treat it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I assume you're still trying to use DirectShowSource in spite of the advice not to and your problem is audio related. Maybe install the AC3 ACM Decompressor
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    Jagabo, go figure...I'm now able to open MPEG files BUT realizing that it's almost impossible to add filters to them in this manner...
    It's not impossible. The problems is that DirectShowSource() isn't always frame accurate. If you open an MPG file and seek back and forth through the video you'll find that sometimes a particular frame comes up as frame 5000, sometimes frame 5001, or 4999. Or sometimes when seeking backward one frame at a time with the left arrow key it gets stuck on a frame for several key presses, then finally jumps back several frames. So cut/paste editing in VirtualDub may not be frame accurate. Occasionally AviSynth filters may run into problems like this too.

I converted the file to AVI with virtualdub. I deinterlaced it while converting it (separate frames side by side).

Now when I try to open the script wit virtualdubmod, I get the following:

Huh???
    So you are saying you opened the VOB directly with VirtualDub and converted to AVI? That would leave the audio as AC3. AviSource() requires ACM codecs (as opposed to DirectShowSource() which requires DirectShow codecs*). Install AC3ACM.

I would avoid opening an MPG source directly with VirtualDub. It handles interlaced chroma channels improperly. VirtualDubMod is OK in that respect. But you may run into sync problems if the MPG/VOB uses mixed frame rates.

Regarding the power of AviSynth: it's power comes from it's flexibility. Along with that comes some difficulty in learning the tools. It's like the difference between building a house from prefabricated sections vs. handing you a bunch of tools and a stack of lumber. In the former case you may be able to choose from several different prefab'd rooms and it's easy to bolt them together, but you're limited to the prefab'd sections you can get from the factory. In the latter case you can construct a house of any style you want, but you have to learn how to use the tools. And there are people all around the world making different tools. You're only limited by your imagination and ability.

* There are two A/V systems in Windows the older (and deprecated by Microsoft) VFW/ACM and the newer DirectShow. The two don't really mix. That is, a VFW/ACM program like VirtualDub can't use DirectShow codecs, and a DirectShow program can't use VFW/ACM codecs.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Feb 2011 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    manono - I actually deleted Directshowsource from my computer last night, since I figured that it only just makes sense to work with the AVI file. So I loaded my MPEG video in Virtualdub, de-interlaced it and released the video as an AVI file. I then typed a script with notepad as follows:

AviSource("path\filename.avi") instead of DirectShowSource("path\filename.mpg") using VirtualDubMod (Not Virtualdub). That's when I got the error message.

You and jagabo are advising me to install AC3ACM. I think I installed that last night, but I have to get home and confirm. I'll let you guys know.

Now just to clarify, when I install this AC3ACM thing, am I simply to extract the zip file into a folder on my desktop and just let it be? Meaning, once I unzip this file, it will do it's thing in the background, allowing me to open the AVI file with VirtualdubMod?

One more question, what's the best route to take if I wish to convert my MPEG files into AVIs? Based on what I'm gathering here, doing it with Virtualdub will result in audio problems and VirtualdubMod will result in sync problems.

So what's my best bet?

BTW - you guys are the best. Thank you for your patience and your help is not in vain. It is appreciated, sincerely. I'm getting there, I'm getting there!
    Last edited by unclescoob; 23rd Feb 2011 at 14:02. Reason: adding information
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    Now just to clarify, when I install this AC3ACM thing, am I simply to extract the zip file into a folder on my desktop and just let it be? Meaning, once I unzip this file, it will do it's thing in the background, allowing me to open the AVI file with VirtualdubMod?
    No. You have to right click on the INF file select Install. Then it will work in the background.

I don't remember if you mentioned it or not, but if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows things get more complicated. 32 bit programs/codecs and 64 bit programs/codecs work in separate spaces -- they can't access others' resources. Ie, 32 bit programs can only access 32 bit codecs, 64 bit programs can only access 64 bit codecs. And you sometimes have to jump through hoops in order to get 32 bit codecs to install correctly. For example:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271712-Lame-MP3-Encoder-on-Vista-x64#1723154

One more question, what's the best route to take if I wish to convert my MPEG files into AVIs? Based on what I'm gathering here, doing it with Virtualdub will result in audio problems and VirtualdubMod will result in sync problems.
    Both handle audio pretty much the same now. You may or may not have problems depending on the source.

The best was was mentioned before. Use DgIndex to build an index file of the VOB(s) and demux the audio. Use Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v") to access that file in AviSynth. Use VirtualDub to open that AVS script. Add the audio stream (recompress it if you want, I usually keep it intact). Save as AVI.

You can modify the BAT file I gave earlier to create AVS scripts with Mpeg2Source() intead of DirectShowSource():

echo Mpeg2Source("%~d1%~p1%~n1%~x1", CPU=2) > "%~d1%~p1%~n1.avs"
    CPU=2 is optional. It enables DgMpgDec's deblocking filter. See it's docs for other options. Name that batch file something like AVS-Mpeg2Source.bat and put it in the SendTo folder. After creating a D2V index, right click on it and SendTo -> AVS-Mpeg2Source.bat.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Feb 2011 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote