VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the US has switched already, but in Canada, the switch hasn't taken place yet.
    However this week they moved 2 channels to digital so now I can't watch them.
    I have 2 PVRs 531H and sometimes I watch a third program on the tv. Also analog. So am I suppose to toss everything out?
    They are not very useful with out the tuner. Program guide is working quite well too.
    To replace what I have now, I would need 3 tuners and channel changer and ways to program them with the PVRs?!
    This is a life changer! I don't care I don't have HD tv yet, but now they are forcing me to change. This is not a $50 phone that though away! Sometimes I hate technology.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Contact View Post
    So am I suppose to toss everything out?
    That's what the US basically had to do. We could "ease" the transition by purchasing a DTV converter box that converted the incoming digital signal to analog - however, most of the converter boxes were really cheap and didn't last long. I had to throw out two 25" TVs and most of my analog VCRs. I replaced my TV with a 42" 1080p digital - the difference between the two is astounding! The digital signal is very crisp and sharp and is far, far superior to the NTSC analog signal. Once you go digital, you won't want to go back.

To record programs, I had to buy a DVR recorder, but the DVD+R disks that it uses only holds about 4-5 hours of recordings. I've recently purchased one of the new Magnavox 513 PVRs with a 320GB hard drive, which can, of course, hold considerably more recordings.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. US is still doing analog, have not converted completely to digital yet. Plus, cable comp's must keep analog for a few more years, so I still use my analog equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    US is still doing analog, have not converted completely to digital yet. Plus, cable comp's must keep analog for a few more years, so I still use my analog equipment.
    Only low power and relay stations are allowed to remain analog. Everyone else must have converted to digital broadcast. Also, I was assuming that the OP was referring to OTA broadcasts, as cable has their own modulation format. Cable broadcasts aren't even regulated by the FCC, so they have no date mandated for any digital conversions. They can remain "analog" as long as they want.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One nice thing for me after the digital switch was that the amount of stations I could recieve increased greatly. I went from 7 OTA channels analog to 28 channels digital all with beautiful quality.

That is of course using new equipment that could receive the digital channels
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the US has switched already, but in Canada, the switch hasn't taken place yet.
    However this week they moved 2 channels to digital so now I can't watch them.
    I have 2 PVRs 531H and sometimes I watch a third program on the tv. Also analog. So am I suppose to toss everything out?
    They are not very useful with out the tuner. Program guide is working quite well too.
    To replace what I have now, I would need 3 tuners and channel changer and ways to program them with the PVRs?!
    This is a life changer! I don't care I don't have HD tv yet, but now they are forcing me to change. This is not a $50 phone that though away! Sometimes I hate technology.
    I am not sure what choices for ATSC to NTSC digital converter boxes are available in Canada. If any of your recorders have an IR blaster, it may be possible to program them to change the channel on a converter box.

I have this one, which is still in production:
    http://sunnydirect.ca/channel-master-cm-7000-atsc-digital-to-analog-converter-box.html

It has a good tuner and provides an excellent picture with S-Video out. It has a full-screen mode that allows me to make anamorphic widescreen recordings. The IR codes used by one of the Pioneer set top boxes can reportedly control it, but I have not tested it.

I am still using my 3 converter boxes with 2 analog TVs and an analog DVD recorder w/o an IR blaster. Two of the converter boxes are approaching 3 years in use, the third is now 2 years old.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Feb 2011 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use a Zinwell ZAT-970A, it's one of the few converters with a full fledge timer. It just means you have to program 2 devices to record one show, but it can repeat a timer daily or weekly. It's available from the Source and I saw it in some Canadian Tire stores. If you want the best check out the Channel Master 7000 PAL DVR.

There are a few DVDR/VCR combo units with an ATSC tuner. The Panasonics are expensive; for a while Walmart and Zellers had the RCA DRC8335 for $100. It was available under another brand, I think magnavox. You can still find them through surplus liquidators.

Last option, some FTA sat boxes have an ATSC tuner and a USB port for you to connect an HDD and enable their DVR function. This is definitely the most expensive solution. Look for Sonicview 8000HD, Viewsat 9000HD, Coolsat 8100HD, Coaxsat Carbon.
    Last edited by nic2k4; 21st Feb 2011 at 23:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am talking about cable. They are switching to digital aren't they? They have many channels available only in digital for some times now, but they just switched 2 more to it this month. To me that means they are switching too. Even the local news channel is digital because it is wide-screen, but maybe they will leave those analog for a while.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    US is still doing analog, have not converted completely to digital yet. Plus, cable comp's must keep analog for a few more years, so I still use my analog equipment.
    Only low power and relay stations are allowed to remain analog. Everyone else must have converted to digital broadcast. Also, I was assuming that the OP was referring to OTA broadcasts, as cable has their own modulation format. Cable broadcasts aren't even regulated by the FCC, so they have no date mandated for any digital conversions. They can remain "analog" as long as they want.
    A lot are digital, but still not HD.

Anyway, I just plug my Comcast basic cheapest sub, cable right into my TV, use it's QAM tuner & get a lot of stuff. I think 200+ digital & 40+ Analog.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am talking about cable. They are switching to digital aren't they? They have many channels available only in digital for some times now, but they just switched 2 more to it this month. To me that means they are switching too. Even the local news channel is digital because it is wide-screen, but maybe they will leave those analog for a while.
    I have only heard that the over-the-air switch from NTSC to ATSC is mandatory in Canada. Canadian cable providers are free to do as they wish with respect to what they provide as analog or digital, as far as I know.

Here in the US my provider, Comcast did switch to all digital, with the exception of local channels (which the FCC requires them to provide in analog format until 2012) and a few others (such as The Weather Channel and some shopping channels) that they have opted to keep as analog. You will need to hook your DVD recorder line inputs to a cable box to use it for recording digital channels. If the DVD recorder has an IR blaster, that may be able to operate some cable boxes. Certain cable boxes (but not all) can be programmed to change the channel at a specified time. It depends on whether the software provided for a particular cable box includes the feature.

[Edit] Unlike cable companies in the US, cable operators in Canada are not required to provide any clear QAM channels, so typically they don't. Those in Canada must obtain a cable box to watch anything digital.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Feb 2011 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Contact View Post
    Doh! Wasn't clear in your original post. As was said the digital change over at the end of August only applies to over the air broadcast. The only reason for Cogeco or Rogers to switch channels to digital is to generate new revenues. If you're gonna be forced to use a set top box to watch cable, you might as well go with satellite. Bell and Shaw are very competitive with cable and Shaw is cheaper than Bell. And even their basic HD box becomes a PVR when you add a USB HDD to it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Doh! Wasn't clear in your original post. As was said the digital change over at the end of August only applies to over the air broadcast. The only reason for Cogeco or Rogers to switch channels to digital is to generate new revenues. If you're gonna be forced to use a set top box to watch cable, you might as well go with satellite. Bell and Shaw are very competitive with cable and Shaw is cheaper than Bell. And even their basic HD box becomes a PVR when you add a USB HDD to it.
    Sorry. I Was mixing date and the move shaw made. I have shaw in Vancouver and they moved Encore Avenue and Speed channel to digital. What is next?! I also assume digital is more efficient in cable too, so why would this change, but at least I can use them for a while.
    Quote Quote