VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody, I have a brand new Sony CX550 and currently a Macbook user. I have been using my Canon GL-1 with a firewire for years without any problems into Final Cut Pro. Now I upgraded to a HD format handycam without realizing it was not Mac compatible. Maybe a mistake, but the camera was worth it. Is there a way Final Cuts can see the Sony. It only seems to have a USB output, other than a A/V connector, which is for outputting to a TV. I also think Sony calls that their firewire. I would appreciate any feedback you all can give me....dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You copy the files from the memory card (using the USB2 connection). Then import the AVCHD in FCP, http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflows/index.ht...2%26tasks=true .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normal AVCHD workflow for a Mac is as follows.

iMovie*, FCE or recent versions of FCP have import options for AVCHD to 1920x1080 Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). The same is done for HDV format. AIC is a digital intermedite with 4:2:0 color space and 8 bit luma but with intact frames (not GOPs). The conversion results in a "blow up" of ~9-12 GB/hr AVCHD files to around 60 GB/hr but with the benefit of faster response at the timeline. Apple does not support native HDV/AVCHD editing because of the hits to performance.

Alternative B is conversion to ProRes 4:2:2 but that up interpolation to 10 bits and 4:2:2 has no quality benefit. It is for compatibility with other 4:2:2 source.

Alternative C is full uncompressed editing on a Mac Pro tower with RAID support.

* Avoid the trap of downscale to quarter size, half motion sample 960x540p 29.97 fps. Apple does this to increase response on low end Macs.
    Last edited by edDV; 16th Feb 2011 at 19:01.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote