VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am working on a project where some of the footage was shot very far away from me. Is there a good program for someone to send me the video files online, which are rather large, and for me to be able to edit them in finalcut? Is dropbox a good program for this? I'm not even sure how that could work given that the media is orginally on their machine, but then again it seems like something that should be possible and I probably just don't know how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A number of online storage options are available which might be used ...

1: 4Shared (10gig limit)

2: Dropbox has a limit of 2 gig for free

3: You might run your on ftp server ... filezilla ... and let the client upload the data to your system ... this could be time consuming depending on bandwidth limits on both ends.

4: Get them to put it on some kind of media and mail it ... slow, generally the whole lot if done correctly will turn up ... risk's ... file's or media issues ... gone walkabouts in the mail
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    hmmm... we are trying to use dropbox and I upgraded my account for more storage.

The problem with this is that the file is really big and won't download onto my computer. I would like to attempt to download it onto a dual processor, but that doesn't seem to be an option with dropbox. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suggest taking the original files and putting them in a segmented archive. Like Zip, Rar, 7z.

Set the size limit to be <1GB or something.

You'll have: File.zip.001, File.zip.002, File.zip.003...etc.

Add them to the Online storage or FTP server.
    Have the other end DL them completely (takes time!!!) and then un-archive them, which will also stitch them back together.

I shouldn't need to tell you, but just in case it slipped by: you DON'T want to try accessing them directly in your timeline from network storage, though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks cornucopia. I think we've found another way around the issue, but if that doesn't work out this will be the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thedoingsful View Post
    Thanks cornucopia. I think we've found another way around the issue, but if that doesn't work out this will be the way to go.
    Have them Fed-X a hard drive. Done. Max cost (including drive), ~$60.

Is your time, and their's worthless? Figure 10-15 hours of wasted time.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's good (preferred) if they're just across the country, but not for around the world. ($$$)
    Quote Quote