VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone..hope this is in the right spot.....I have been backing up my Blu Ray collection by decripting with MakeMKV then shrinking with BDRebuilder..Everything has been going good until I came across my movie Kill Bill Vol 1 where it has sub titles when the speak in a different language (other than English). How do I get just that text??.....Im using HDbrStream extractor and SupRip to try this but Im getting text from the WHOLE movie..Is there a setting I can do or do I need to set up a different program?..Thanx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like the english text you see with non english audio is not a subtittle but a translation and part of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats exactly whats going on....Not nessesary sub titles...but a translation of non english language on the movie..How do I get the translation that is on the original movie??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying that the result of BDRebuilder is not showing the non english translation?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think he means it has few non-english parts so there's hardcoded subs for it, if it were a dvd subrip would work, No such program for bluray. Upload a Screenshot...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your using MakeMkv in the drop down list of files where you select the the language and subtitles dont check the box for subtitles but check the box below it that says forced subtitles for the language that you want.This should give you an mkv with the forced subs in it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ iamkatpeeler

Play the original m2ts file with mpc. If the translation text shows then it is part of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fatbloke88 View Post
    If your using MakeMkv in the drop down list of files where you select the the language and subtitles dont check the box for subtitles but check the box below it that says forced subtitles for the language that you want.This should give you an mkv with the forced subs in it.
    Yes I am using MakeMKV..Ill give this a shot tomorroo and let you know if it works..

So when you say "forced subtitles for the language that you want", that would be English correct and not the Japanese that is on the movie??....Thanx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you speak english then its english,if on the other hand you speak japanese and not english then its japanese
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a problem, I tried doing what you said about selecting the forced subtitles in the drop down menu BUT I dont see an option for selecting anything...here is my process....

Insert disc, open MakeMKV, select File, select Backup........This puts a video file in my library where I then us BDRebuilder to shrink. If I remember correctly there are options in BDRebuilder for subtitles/languages....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	17-02-2011 18-45-40.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	5666

when make mkv has scanned the disk you get the screen above with squares for each title if you look infront of the box there is a small grey arrow click on this to reveal the contents of your selected title then select forced subtites.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ohhhh...Im clicking on the FILE tab on the top left of MakeMKV because I was under the impresion the way you explained I wasnt able to output the video file in a way that BDRebuilder can recognize...Am I wrong???.....Ill try the way you explained

I think Im right..that BDRebuilder doesnt recognize MKV files........
    Last edited by iamkatpeeler; 18th Feb 2011 at 00:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes you are right as far as I'm aware bdrebuilder doesn't accept mkv, which format do you want your
    backup to be in?.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by iamkatpeeler View Post
    Ohhhh...Im clicking on the FILE tab on the top left of MakeMKV because I was under the impresion the way you explained I wasnt able to output the video file in a way that BDRebuilder can recognize...Am I wrong???.....Ill try the way you explained

I think Im right..that BDRebuilder doesnt recognize MKV files........
    You can extract the .mkv title using MakeMKV with forced subtitles selected. Sometimes you will get a subtitle stream with subs marked as forced. Sometimes you will get 2 subtitle streams, neither marked as forced but the small file will be the forced subs stored as a separate stream. And sometimes there aren't any forced subs. You can't tell how it's going to turn out until you extract the PGS streams.

You can then use tsMuxerGui to mux the .mkv into a BluRay disc file structure. Most of the time BDRB will accept this as input. I've been doing it that way for most of the videos I process with BDRB. You can use MkvExtractGui-2 to extract the PGS subtitle streams. Use BDSup2Sub on the PGS .sup file if you want to export to idx/sub or change the resolution of the subs etc..
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 18th Feb 2011 at 16:47. Reason: additional info
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive downloaded tsMuxerGui and added my file and set output as Blu Ray Disc..Ill see what the end result will be...To be completly honest this is more trouble than its worth...I only have a couple of movies that have a translation in them..."Dances With Wolves" is the main movie Im concerened about and hope to get this down to a science before I get to it...Thanx for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  16. Take up watching foreign films. Then it will become routine.

It's been my experience that the "fly in the ointment" is almost always the subtitles.
    It just narrows your choices. But it's still preferable to watching dubbed flicks except
    for the occasional farce that's funnier dubbed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now Im getting frustrated....Not only did I NOT get the translation from my move now the audio and video is out of sync....Going to put this movie to the side for a couple of days and pic it back up...Going to move on to some of my other BR that doesnt need translation so I can feel like Ive acomplished something...
    Quote Quote  
  18. You may get more input if you read the posts in the thread where the BDRB download lives. There's a whole bunch of posts where BDRB users have helped others to get the results they're looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    found an easy(if expensive) way of doing this by ripping the entire bluray to the hard drive with anydvd,then open the bluray in TMPGEng video mastering works 5,select the main title.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22-02-2011 08-40-25.png
Views:	1003
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	5744

Now in the dropdown box where it says no subtitle select a subtitle track in the language you want,then press playName:  22-02-2011 08-41-40.png
Views: 892
Size:  4.2 KB

scan through the film till you see subtitles to make sure they are the right ones,if not go back to the drop down box and select the next subtitle track and press play, do this until you find the correct sutitle track,then check the small white box next to the video window and press next.It will now ask to import the chapter information.
    Next choose a format to rencode to(I chose mkv) and rencode the video.
    you now have a video with the forced subs hardcoded into the video,after a lot of experimentation and reading different forums,it appears that most software players can't see the forced subs even if they are there hence the need for rencoding.
    This was the easiest way I could find as it lets you preview the film wth the subs, without having to process the files first.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Also if VLC media player is stable on your system, it now supports PGS subtitles. I tend to forget about it because it seems like every time I touch the program it goes away on my Windows7 machine. Also I think the latest WMP displays PGS. I know they both display .divx XSubs.
    MakeMKV also has a backup mode where it will rip the BluRay structure to the HD.

I guess it's what you are comfortable with. Reading all the steps you go through it sounds like a lot of work to me. But actually doing it might be less than reading about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vlc was my first port of call but it kept baulking when I loaded either the mkv from remake or the mts file, with TMPGEnc its just a matter of rip the blu ray open it and a few klicks, takes about 3 mins to be ready for encoding.
    I also tried riping to mkv with makemkv and processing with freemake as per baldricks guide but the subs don't display for the correct amount of time and again its guess work to select the right subs as you have no visual.
    thanks for the tip about makemkv though I've always just used it for mkv.
    Quote Quote