VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,
    i am new to this video stuff but have made some progress by reading your forum...
    What i wanted to do is rip some parts from a dvd. e.g lets say from 2min to 5min. (not whole vob parts), then 34min to 54min etc
    I have following a routine in order to do this.. please correct me if am doing it wrong.
    1) I use a program to join vob files. I save the final file in my disk as a joined.vob
    2) open the joined.vob in virtual dub and select the in and out timecodes..
    3) start frameserve and open TMpGenc and encode the file as an mpeg.
    4) - optional- i use again the TMPGenc to join the mpg files...

Everything is good BUT i can not find out how to hardcode subtitles in this part.
    It would be ideal if virtual dub could show the subtitles and pass them by the frameserver to the TMPGenc..
    Do you have any solution to this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use dvd shrink in the reauthoring mode to cut out dvd vob clips. Then convert the dvd vob clip folder to an avi with burned in subs using autogk. If you want mpg you could use....hm....don't know anything that easily burn in subs...
    Quote Quote  
  3. So you mean that in dvd shrink i can select a region in the movie (not a whole vob part) and then export it as a vob again..
    Then in autogk i will import the these vob files and select a subtitle and then export to avi.

If i am getting this, it seems that the exported from the dvd shrink vob should contain the subtitles. right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, you can cut out a region and it will keep the subs. See for example https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/296328-How-to-cut-out-clips-from-DVDs-and-convert-t...-free-software . Just be sure to keep all subs.

In autogk don't open the vob but the vts_01.ifo and it should be able to get the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hmm nice tutorial... what i needed..

a general question: subtitles are stored inside a vob file? or in the ifo file?
    i ask this because if i want just to playback the exported from dvdshrink files i can feed them to the kmplayer and then select the auto choose subtitle option. right?
    ...and probably rename those VTS_01_1.VOB files to part1.vob , part2.vob...and make a playlist.... This way i will avoid editing and encoding and other time consuming processes...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, they are stored in the vob. But I have no idea if you can use auto choose subtitle in kmplayer for just vob files.
    Quote Quote