VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to convert a dvd to xvid avi with the best quality for a file size of 900mb i was using Autogk For a While but the results i am getting now are not great the dark colored areas in the movies are visibly
    distorted i have tried other programs but the only size i can get good quality is 2gb and that is way to big ineed it to be avi cause it has to play on a ps3

please help
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A long(er) movie will look worse than a shorter movie simply because there is more data to compress. It doesn't matter what your final output size is...the input size also matters. Your question is un-answerable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    then let revise my question what is the best quality setting but not killing hard space to much
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is the best settings for any particular length of movie as movies vary in length but somebody must have have at least a rule of thumb guide to go by
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the length of your movie? If AutoGK won't work, maybe you want to give Xmedia Recode a try. It comes with presets for all kinds of devices.

Rule of thumb? I can say that Xvid looks quite good with 900+ kbps, h264 with 700+ kbps. This goes for movies with DVD res (720x576). Don't know about 720p or even 1080p...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Rule of thumb: forget bitrate, use constant quality encoding. Dark areas are one of Xvid's weak spots. Be sure the black levels of your display are set properly so dark areas really dark. If your graphics card and monitor are displaying blacks as dark gray all the problems in the dark areas will be more noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by selwyns2828 View Post
    ineed it to be avi cause it has to play on a ps3

please help
    Bullsh*t.

The PS3 can play much more than AVI files. If you must keep it at the (arbitrary) size of 900MB I suggest you use XmediaRecode and encode with a 2-pass VBR H264 compression into an MP4 container. Use the PS3 preset and tailor it from there, You will get far better quality than Xvid can produce, and the PS3 will play it without any problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote